The Christmas Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I was wondering what people are planning for Christmas meals this year. What do you eat for brekkie and lunch? And what is your dinner and dessert plans?

After I went veg, I haven't had any traditional spreads in the hollidays. I was a roastbeef person, eating only that for spreads on warm bread roll. But now I don't eat bread rolls, and no meat. So I haven't got any new tradition for brekkie or lunch yet...

My thoughts about Christmas

Christmas Eve (main day of celebration in Norway, we open presents in the evening that day)
Nutroast with maple roasted potatoes, brusselsproats and gravy.
Rice cream pudding for dessert with strawberry sause.

1st day:
Shepherd's Pie
Homemade creme brule.

2nd day:
No clue what for dinner
Homemade panna cotta

I am looking forward to hearing what everyone else is having for Christmas dinner. I am having a really delicious seed roast loaf with mushroom gravy, herby roast potatoes and veggies. I get really excited about creating such hearty meals, having us all sitting around the table.

If anyone would like a recipe for a delicious seed loaf roast (my fave and the one I am going to enjoy with my family) then I can recommend this one in my video here:

I was wondering what people are planning for Christmas meals this year. What do you eat for brekkie and lunch? And what is your dinner and dessert plans?

After I went veg, I haven't had any traditional spreads in the hollidays. I was a roastbeef person, eating only that for spreads on warm bread roll. But now I don't eat bread rolls, and no meat. So I haven't got any new tradition for brekkie or lunch yet...

My thoughts about Christmas

Christmas Eve (main day of celebration in Norway, we open presents in the evening that day)
Nutroast with maple roasted potatoes, brusselsproats and gravy.
Rice cream pudding for dessert with strawberry sause.

1st day:
Shepherd's Pie
Homemade creme brule.

2nd day:
No clue what for dinner
Homemade panna cotta

I have already started a similar thread in the vegetarian section/Festivities forum:

Christmas Cooking | Vegetarian and Vegan Forums @ Veggie Views

I don't make anything special for breakfast or lunch and we also have our main meal on Christmas eve. I am considering the following recipe, brazil nut and chestnut loaf.

Brazil nut & chestnut roast with smoky chipotle-chilli sauce (gluten-free) - Sainsbury's Magazine

However, I always substitute eggs in recipes with a binder using either vegetables or soya yogurt/cream etc. Roast potatoes (nothing beats a hearty roast potato) and a selection of winter vegetable as a side dish and perhaps a Christmas pudding in a bowl for dessert. It is also featured in the festive recipe section.

I have seen a few festive cooking programmes and it seems that rice pudding is a Scandinavian speciality served on Christmas eve. Over here they usually have a yule log made with tons of butter cream and sugar. Needless to say that it combines everything that I dislike, butter, sugar and white flour !

My favourite Christimas puddings are made with either mincemeat or chestnuts. I also love a glass of mulled apple juice as a festive drink and it guarantees a 'no hangover' Boxing day, which is a back to business work day over here.

BTW, how do you make a crème brulée without egg yolks Mikkel ? It used to be one of my favourite desserts.

Reactions: Trinity
I forgot about the other post. Even though I posted in it. :p

But I'm planning to try out this recepie for creme brulee. I have no clue if it works, but I'll try.

Vanilla Crème Brûlée | Vegan Yack Attack

It sounds like a thickened sauce made with corn flour. I haven't found a decent substitute for egg yolks when making crème brulée or curd.:(

It sounds like a thickened sauce made with corn flour. I haven't found a decent substitute for egg yolks when making crème brulée or curd.:(

Oh. I'll report back on how it went. Luckly we aren't that dessert people, so if it has to go in the trash, no one really cares that much. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.