Literature The British English vs American English thread!

WHAT ABOOT CANADIAN ENGLISH?

It's a distinct mixture of British, American and Canadianisms.

Canawhat? I thought Canadians spoke French. :???:

I think the same too. Usually if I post a :p it means I'm taking the **** and I'm not being serious. :) I should have probably made that clear.

Oh good!

Again another useage term. Grill refers to the wire rack on which you place the food to cook it. BBQ grill or Oven grill.
Possibly its easier for you to understand OUR terms because they are logical and clear. you know what a grill is round about. I honestly have never heard of broiler. I thought it meant to boil in oil. Truth.

Maybe we're just smarter! :snap: :eek:

Yeah I didn't think that was it either. :(

"Skedaddles" must be one of the most ridiculous words I've ever heard though.

I like learning about differences, but I really hate the "this way is right, the other way is wrong" vibe. (Though I was guilty of that re: BBQ, but I won't do that again.)

I agree - informative is good - we probably shouldn't get into a pissing match about who is right, wrong or better.

I for one love this kind of thing:

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Broiling utilizes the upper rack of the oven - so it produces an effect on your food in a much shorter time than you could get with grilling. (Or using the lower rack of the oven.) The idea is to get your food as close as possible to the heating element.

BBQ is sauce, by the way. :D

In Britain (and Ireland and probably most Commonwealth countries) what you've described as "broiling" is actually grilling. :D

WHAT ABOOT CANADIAN ENGLISH?

It's a distinct mixture of British, American and Canadianisms.
I can change the thread title if you want?

I know I saw that advert and laughed so hard. Love it.

I hope I havent annoyed RL. I was only kidding about :(