Literature The British English vs American English thread!

Broiling = very high heat in an oven.

Grilling is what we do outside with charcoal.

What does it mean when you say: "She was all sixes and sevens." ?

That means she was all mixed up, confused.

Grilling is indoors under a GRILL part of an oven. We BBQ outside on a BBQ griller.

That means she was all mixed up, confused.

Grilling is indoors under a GRILL part of an oven. We BBQ outside on a BBQ griller.

Do you know where the saying is derived from? A game of cards?

Grilling is also what happens when you are arrested and subsequently questioned for hours. :p

Ha ha...I love it!

"Basic Differences (from ehow.com)

• Broiling cooks foods through applying radiant heat from the top. Gas stoves may have broiler units in the bottom, under the oven. In electric stoves, the broiler element is usually in the top of the oven. In grilling, the heat is underneath the food. Since broiling is done in an oven, no smoky flavors can be imparted into the food. The coals in grills give the food a charred flavor and more taste can be added through adding wood chips or fresh herbs to the fire. It is easier to control broiling because you can simply adjust the oven racks to regulate the cooking speed, an option not commonly available on barbecue grills."

Of course, you can argue that this is the American interpretation, therefore, it is incorrect. :rofl:

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Broiling utilizes the upper rack of the oven - so it produces an effect on your food in a much shorter time than you could get with grilling. (Or using the lower rack of the oven.) The idea is to get your food as close as possible to the heating element.

BBQ is sauce, by the way. :D

This thread is making me think of this...I love this song!!

Reactions: Scorpius
BBQ griller.

Ah-ha! :D

I still don't understand the word "broiling". It makes zero sense. It's grilling!

And don't get me started on "fanny packs". :rofl:

I don't understand why anyone could think that one's own language is correct or better and if I can wrap my head around an English language variation I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to wrap your head around an American variation. :) It's a verb, it means what it means to the people it means it to.

And fanny packs/bum bags are just dumb. Dumb names, dumb looking, and somehow in discussions of this sort it seems like we talk about them sooo much for some reason. o_O

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I like learning about differences, but I really hate the "this way is right, the other way is wrong" vibe. (Though I was guilty of that re: BBQ, but I won't do that again.)

I think the same too. Usually if I post a :p it means I'm taking the **** and I'm not being serious. :) I should have probably made that clear.

Ah-ha! :D

I don't understand why anyone could think that one's own language is correct or better and if I can wrap my head around an English language variation I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to wrap your head around an American variation. :) It's a verb, it means what it means to the people it means it to.

And fanny packs/bum bags are just dumb. Dumb names, dumb looking, and somehow in discussions of this sort it seems like we talk about them sooo much for some reason. o_O
Again another useage term. Grill refers to the wire rack on which you place the food to cook it. BBQ grill or Oven grill.
Possibly its easier for you to understand OUR terms because they are logical and clear. you know what a grill is round about. I honestly have never heard of broiler. I thought it meant to boil in oil. Truth.