US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I liked about Biden was his pledge to bring the country together and govern for all the people, not just the ones who voted for him. From everything I’m seeing, I’m starting to to lean toward impeachment is a bad idea. Sure I would love to see him not be able to run again, but Pandora’s box has already been opened. There are several politicians who believe in everything Trump stands for and will ride his coattails straight to the White House. Sadly, I fear Trumpism will continue for a long time to come.
I don’t think impeachment is going to do anything to benefit us over the next four years, if Biden is going to get anything done. Is watching Trump squirm and be further humiliated really worth the possible fallout? Just a thought.

Reactions: Lou
One of the things I liked about Biden was his pledge to bring the country together and govern for all the people, not just the ones who voted for him. From everything I’m seeing, I’m starting to to lean toward impeachment is a bad idea. Sure I would love to see him not be able to run again, but Pandora’s box has already been opened. There are several politicians who believe in everything Trump stands for and will ride his coattails straight to the White House. Sadly, I fear Trumpism will continue for a long time to come.
I don’t think impeachment is going to do anything to benefit us over the next four years, if Biden is going to get anything done. Is watching Trump squirm and be further humiliated really worth the possible fallout? Just a thought.
Impeachment or invoking the 25th, or him being led out in handcuffs, isn't about humiliation, it's about democracy and law.
He's still a danger in these last two weeks.
America has been shifted so far to the right we need extreme measures to get it back.

• Agree
Reactions: Amy SF and 1956
Sorry. I couldn't help myself.
This isn't the petition thread, it's the 2020 president one--you're ok!
Unless this kind of chatter should be in a opt-in thread?

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Again with the non vegan related politics.
This forum is full of long timers who have been discussing things that aren't necessarily linked to veganism, but a prominent component of our world views, which we feel guide our veganism
Like--how can you be racist and call yourself vegan?
How can you allow poverty to determine if you get proper medical care, education, voting rights?

Impeachment or invoking the 25th, or him being led out in handcuffs, isn't about humiliation, it's about democracy and law.
He's still a danger in these last two weeks.
America has been shifted so far to the right we need extreme measures to get it back.

I’m not sure I buy that. I think a lot of it is politically motivated with a “let’s see how much we can do to him” attitude. Plus I don’t see it working. Then we have to deal with the Dems failing again in getting him convicted of anything.
We’ve been trying for four years.

I don’t think impeaching him will have any benefit. We won. He’s leaving. I’d rather focus on the future and repairing the damage that’s been done.

It’s possible I’m just overloaded and need to unplug from the news, but they took away my hallmark Christmas movies so I’ve been obsessed with all of this since Wednesday. It’s becoming mentally unhealthy.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and 1956
I’m not sure I buy that. I think a lot of it is politically motivated with a “let’s see how much we can do to him” attitude. Plus I don’t see it working. Then we have to deal with the Dems failing again in getting him convicted of anything.
We’ve been trying for four years.

I don’t think impeaching him will have any benefit. We won. He’s leaving. I’d rather focus on the future and repairing the damage that’s been done.

It’s possible I’m just overloaded and need to unplug from the news, but they took away my hallmark Christmas movies so I’ve been obsessed with all of this since Wednesday. It’s becoming mentally unhealthy.
I'm undecided. Part of me agrees with you. Let's just move on. Its Banana Republics that put their pervious leaders on trial or in jail.
On the other hand, it sets a poor precedent if he just walks away from all this.
One of my friends says don' t worry about that - The State of NY has a whole list of crimes to charge him with
But I'm less interested in "getting him" and more interested in justice, precedence. message to other countries and to the future.
There is also the stuff that guy tweeted: pension; secret service; travel allowance; and the ability to hold office.
I've signed the petitions and I don't really think these things will come to pass. I won't be very disappointed if they don't.

• Agree
Reactions: 1956 and KLS52
To all those who want to "move on, bring people together", do you really think think this insurrection is going to just end? And should simply be ignored?
How many peaceful protesters were arrested, shot, pepper sprayed while protesting the murderous police?

To all those who want to "move on, bring people together", do you really think think this insurrection is going to just end? And should simply be ignored?
How many peaceful protesters were arrested, shot, pepper sprayed while protesting the murderous police?
A lot of those protesters were black. These guys were white.
I think it is sort of positive that Biden has brought this up. and a number of news outlets have picked up on that and are running editorials and even news stories on the subject.

Here is one.

Maybe another positive note is that the FBI seems to be making up for it - at least a little bit. Using photos, video, and social media, they have IDed at least 70 protesters and arrested them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1956
I don’t. Absolutely not. What you’re saying is not falling on deaf ears. I think what I’m saying is if he is tried and it works in our favor we’re still not going to be any better off. Honestly I’ve waffled several times already. This is how I feel right now. I’m listening to both arguments on different news channels and it seems like both arguments for and against have merit is all. I can’t just jump on the “crucify him” bandwagon and feel like it’s 100% the right thing to do. He has too many people with power in his corner.

Reactions: Lou and 1956
And what’s this I’m hearing about the impeachment process going past January 20, into Biden’s term?

Completely understand what you’re saying KLS! During the primaries I was not that impressed by Biden... however, once he became the Democratic candidate I came to appreciate him more... I understand Why he was chosen even though I would have preferred someone Much more progressive... Now I am pretty sure that he was the only Democrat who could have defeated trump...And Thank Goodness he did!! Since the elections I have come to like Biden more and more...I hope that We are not being duped and I don’t think that We are... I do Believe that he does Care and that he does Truly want to work for All Americans...
As for Impeaching trump... I too was Very worried that in the eyes of his Mob supporters trying to impeach him once again could just make him look like a victim... and if the Senate doesn’t convict him he comes out looking like he Won once again
But - and it is a Huge but, if nothing is done to him what message does that send???
Really, really looking forward to not Ever having to give trump another thought...

And what’s this I’m hearing about the impeachment process going past January 20, into Biden’s term?
According to one news source a previous president can be impeached. Its never been done but there is no law against it. The court cases could take a lot of time and attention. and it wouldn't serve much of a purpose except for that he couldn't hold public office again.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and 1956
I don’t. Absolutely not. What you’re saying is not falling on deaf ears. I think what I’m saying is if he is tried and it works in our favor we’re still not going to be any better off. Honestly I’ve waffled several times already. This is how I feel right now. I’m listening to both arguments on different news channels and it seems like both arguments for and against have merit is all. I can’t just jump on the “crucify him” bandwagon and feel like it’s 100% the right thing to do. He has too many people with power in his corner.
Yeah.........
It would be devestating if they sought to impeach and the re-puke-agains were found untouchable!
But...that is kinda how the democrats are in their weak attempts to 'bring everyone together'. Maybe a lot more backbone and we would have done it already?
When you're getting beat up by a bully you don't stop to worry about hitting back too hard--you hit to stop them.
America's been beaten really badly and the people who were supposed to stop it were too worried about the other side than the people they're supposed to protect.

Gawd, just imagine turning the news on that day with Obama the one losing the election and BLM supporters storming the Capital. Think about that and the repercussions.

Reactions: KLS52 and 1956
The democrats aren't much better, well they're a little better considering the alternative, I would prefer the green party, although voting is a scam.
I too would Much prefer the Green Party...unfortunately most of the time that would end up being a wasted vote...
And - No, voting is Not a scam...

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I saw an interview with Bernie Sanders yesterday. I see why so many people love him. He referenced 2010, I believe...the democrats had control of both houses and failed to do anything. He said we can’t afford to do that again. Biden needs to get in there and make some significant changes and quickly.

I keep hearing Biden is too conservative for some Dems/Independents. But that’s likley why he won. I know, personally, several republicans who were Trump supporters who voted for Biden. If Bernie was running they would have voted for Trump again.

Status
Not open for further replies.