US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may have been Republican vegans before Trump.
But all the qualities and values that vegans support and adhere to are not ones that we see in today's Republicans and certainly not the ones embodied in Trump. this petition is not against Republicans. It is just against Trump. some Republicans don't support Trump either.
if you don't like the petition - don't sign it.
The point is this isn't about politics, I don't support Trump, but must we use this platform to talk politics? I don't believe that is what it's for, also you're acting like vegan and democrat are synonymous, they're not.

Twitter has now Permanently suspended trump’s account - because they think that he is Too dangerous!
Critics will say that this violates Trump's 1st Amendment rights. Per the Supreme Court, this is not true:

Per the "Imminent Lawless Action" doctrine, adopted by the Supreme Court in 1969, "speech is not protected by the First Amendment if the speaker intends to incite a violation of the law that is both imminent and likely."

Link: Imminent lawless action - Wikipedia

Reactions: 1956 and PTree15
There may have been Republican vegans before Trump.
But all the qualities and values that vegans support and adhere to are not ones that we see in today's Republicans and certainly not the ones embodied in Trump. this petition is not against Republicans. It is just against Trump. some Republicans don't support Trump either.
if you don't like the petition - don't sign it.
Most modern republicans have been bad for animal rights.

• Agree
Reactions: 1956
When someone asks me what they can do to help the environment or climate change, I say go vegan.
then they say what else and I say vote Democratic.

When someone asks me what they can do to help the environment or climate change, I say go vegan.
then they say what else and I say vote Democratic.
The democrats aren't much better, well they're a little better considering the alternative, I would prefer the green party, although voting is a scam.

• Disagree
I am not questioning the decision to ban him (on which I am open minded whether it was right or wrong), but disappointed by the timing and reasoning. Mainly because I am left and I think this is damaging to the left.

He has been banned for these two tweets

“The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!”

and

"To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”

This seems to be a unjust decision.

Perhaps Twitter thinks they, if combined, amount to a coded message to riot at the inauguration? Although that could be a bit speculative.

I suppose you could argue that it was the final straw that broke the camel´s back, but if it was, they should have communicated and explained it that way, which they didn´t.

It would have been far less divisive to say that he was banned for saying many things that are not true, and then listing them. And banning him after he left office would have been better as well.

Also their argument that "we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence" doesn´t stand up to the slightest logic, since rather than banning him, they could simply require his tweets be pre screened, or if that´s not technically possible they could take the control of the account away from him and ask him to email the tweets and then publish them for him.

This decision is a gift for everyone who is trying to argue that social media and mainstream media have been taken over by the left and are conspiring against the right. It clearly raises questions about the freedom of speech and the intolerance of the left. It will be so easy for the right to exaggerate this into a giant conspiracy.

I wouldn´t be surprised if they are forced into making further clarifications or amending their decision.

Twitter is dividing America instead of healing it.

Twitter and Facebook profited for years off Trump´s rubbish, letting him publish whatever he wanted without comment or correction, and after realizing their mistake, perhaps out of guilt, now they have gone too far the other way and are overreacting. It´s inconsistent.

I am not questioning the decision to ban him (on which I am open minded whether it was right or wrong), but disappointed by the timing and reasoning. Mainly because I am left and I think this is damaging to the left.

He has been banned for these two tweets

“The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!”

and

"To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”

This seems to be a unjust decision.

Perhaps Twitter thinks they, if combined, amount to a coded message to riot at the inauguration? Although that could be a bit speculative.

I suppose you could argue that it was the final straw that broke the camel´s back, but if it was, they should have communicated and explained it that way, which they didn´t.

It would have been far less divisive to say that he was banned for saying many things that are not true, and then listing them. And banning him after he left office would have been better as well.

Also their argument that "we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence" doesn´t stand up to the slightest logic, since rather than banning him, they could simply require his tweets be pre screened, or if that´s not technically possible they could take the control of the account away from him and ask him to email the tweets and then publish them for him.

This decision is a gift for everyone who is trying to argue that social media and mainstream media have been taken over by the left and are conspiring against the right. It clearly raises questions about the freedom of speech and the intolerance of the left. It will be so easy for the right to exaggerate this into a giant conspiracy.

I wouldn´t be surprised if they are forced into making further clarifications or amending their decision.

Twitter is dividing America instead of healing it.

Twitter and Facebook profited for years off Trump´s rubbish, letting him publish whatever he wanted without comment or correction, and after realizing their mistake, perhaps out of guilt, now they have gone too far the other way and are overreacting. It´s inconsistent.
There very well could be coded language. He is adept at making sure he doesn't spell out exactly what he means. He is legitimizing the mob with the comment about them not being disrespected.

Also, the First Amendment protects people from the government shutting down speech that is critical of it, to allow the free expression of opinion without government retaliation or censorship. It guarantees freedom of religion and freedom of the press. There are laws and regulations that address speech that incites violence or sedition or infringes on the rights of others. Given the heightened tension of the past few days, Trump's track record of tweeting lie after lie for the past four years and his unpredictability, I can see why they did it. A lot of the actions of social media and some of the Republicans who maybe got a wakeup call after Wednesday are too little too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.