US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was more than just Joe Biden who won this week.

I actually supported Harris during her run for president at the beginning of the current election cycle. But she dropped out before I had a chance to vote for her in the California primary. I voted for Elizabeth Warren instead, who I thought was another qualified female candidate. If Biden decides not to run for reelection, Harris would be positioned to run for president again, and this time with White House experience. So I may get to see a President Harris eventually.

Or you can take the Political Compass stance and view authoritarian to libertarian as a separate dimension than liberal to conservative:

This matches the way it plays out in the US. Here, "conservative," basically means sticking to current or recent traditions, whereas "liberal," means creating new policies in response to emerging knowledge and concerns. Both can be varying degrees of authoritarian to libertarian.

The so-named Libertarian party here advocates for less regulation, fewer government services, and lower taxes. I remember when they were conservative-leaning. They are now a mix of everything, with members holding very different views.
Interesting. I took the test. i may have to take the test again because I may have read a little bit too much into the questions. I also may have used the strongly agree/disagree a bit too much. Especially when the question was expressed in absolutes.

Anyway here is my score

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 1.59.06 PM.png

Negative Nelly here... why do I keep hearing that it isn’t over yet, not until they do the recounting of the votes. I think I’m going to go back to just waiting before I get all excited and feeling like we won. I just don’t trust Trump and his cronies. :pout:

Reactions: Urban Gardener
I even hear nz expressions. i hear people calling others "bro" and that has been around for a long time, it is from Maori usage and it has been around at least as long as i have been and i only started hearing people who were non kiwis saying it over the last 5 years or so :)
I think "bro" is a natural shortening of brother. We will have to consult an etymologist. Fraternities use it, it's used in the Black culture, and in the Hawaiin culture (but its pronounced Bra). Just like similar animals and plants can evolve independently. I think Bro could have evolved anywhere English was spoken.

For further reading.

• Informative
Reactions: Freesia
Negative Nelly here... why do I keep hearing that it isn’t over yet, not until they do the recounting of the votes. I think I’m going to go back to just waiting before I get all excited and feeling like we won. I just don’t trust Trump and his cronies. :pout:
Well, of course. You and I are old enough to remember 2000.

I've been hearing it for about 25 years, but I had NO IDEA it was of Moari origin. I thought it came from fraternity life since they call each other "brothers," and that was where I first heard it. It seemed to come from college-age, affluent, not-making-waves males in the US. Maybe it started with guys studying abroad in NZ or they got it from Kiwi classmates.

Maybe... it is similar to aave but maori have their own vernacular terms, im not sure how long they have been using it but at least 40 years here.. :) and likely even longer as i cant remember before i was born :) .. i could ask my parents.

Last edited:
I think "bro" is a natural shortening of brother. We will have to consult an etymologist. Fraternities use it, it's used in the Black culture, and in the Hawaiin culture (but its pronounced Bra). Just like similar animals and plants can evolve independently. I think Bro could have evolved anywhere English was spoken.

For further reading.

Interesting they use it in Hawaii as they are genetic cousins of the Maori, there is some language simularity. The name Moana is also a common Maori girl's name, it means "The Sea" ... which is pretty nice :) ....

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I hear you, but I can't imagine he has any evidence of fraud. In some states there are cameras on the people counting and people can watch online, plus representatives of both parties have been on hand to monitor the counts in the states with outstanding ballots. That said, I don't trust him, either. I'm afraid he won't leave the White House willingly, and that is not good. We've had 200-plus years of peaceful transition, and I so hope that continues. His assault on the American democracy has to end already. His assertion that mail-in votes are illegal is ludicrous. Maybe had he actually done something to address the pandemic, we wouldn't have needed so much voting by mail. While he had a lot of "firsts," many of them were ignominious.

I hear you, but I can't imagine he has any evidence of fraud. In some states there are cameras on the people counting and people can watch online, plus representatives of both parties have been on hand to monitor the counts in the states with outstanding ballots. That said, I don't trust him, either. I'm afraid he won't leave the White House willingly, and that is not good. We've had 200-plus years of peaceful transition, and I so hope that continues. His assault on the American democracy has to end already. His assertion that mail-in votes are illegal is ludicrous. Maybe had he actually done something to address the pandemic, we wouldn't have needed so much voting by mail. While he had a lot of "firsts," many of them were ignominious.
He doesn't need proof, he has his cult followers who believe his words, as well as others who don't really follow the news, or research the facts, and fall for the passed down stories. My coworkers so often tells me stories -- the same ones that have been passed around for years! So depressing!

I have CNN on and they said he would be the oldest President at date of Inauguration.

he was also one of the youngest senators in to be elected (6th youngest I believe) and now the oldest President

here is a link regarding the youngest senators... it is interesting

As one who has followed this s*$% show from the apartment above the meth lab, for the past 4 years, I am so relieved and happy and yet so sad that so many people still voted for him. I believe that if anyone can reunite the USA then Biden/Harris can and maybe that spirit of cooperation will be as contagious as 'his' horrid divisiveness is/was. The worst realty show ever is finally almost over. The only person I will miss from not having to watch anymore is Rachel Maddow.

Come on Georgia, hang in there and elect those two democrats so that the Senate can be cooperative also.

Emma JC

The only person I will miss from not having to watch anymore is Rachel Maddow.

Come on Georgia, hang in there and elect those two democrats so that the Senate can be cooperative also.

Emma JC
Wait, what happened to Rachel?

I don't think those Senators from Georgia really have a chance but I'm donating to their campaigns.

It's really for all the marbles. Moscow Mitch has pretty much said that the Senate won't confirm anyone Biden nominates - even his cabinet nominations.

There are also several (unlikely) ways things can still go wrong. I guess members of the Electoral College can defect. They even have a name for it - the faithless elector. it has happened before, most recently in 2016. Most states have laws against it but ....

And Congress has to "Certify" the Electoral College's votes. One time they didn't. Back in 1876.

Further reading

Last edited:

I don't think those Senators from Georgia really have a chance but I'm donating to their campaigns.

It's really for all the marbles. Moscow Mitch has pretty much said that the Senate won't confirm anyone Biden nominates - even his cabinet nominations.

There are also several (unlikely) ways things can still go wrong. I guess members of the Electoral College can defect. They even have a name for it - the faithless elector. it has happened before, most recently in 2016. Most states have laws against it but ....

And Congress has to "Certify" the Electoral College's votes. One time they didn't. Back in 1876.

Further reading

"The only person I will miss from not having to watch anymore is Rachel Maddow."
Think it was meant tongue in cheek--as in how I HAD to watch Rachel as she is the most comprehensive and thorough of all the media!

My biggest fear is the neo-lib mediocracy and attempts to be middle ground in what is now extreme right

Reactions: Emma JC
He doesn't need proof, he has his cult followers who believe his words, as well as others who don't really follow the news, or research the facts, and fall for the passed down stories. My coworkers so often tells me stories -- the same ones that have been passed around for years! So depressing!
That is the scary part, the cult followers.

Further reading

I swear, Moscow Mitch is even worse than DT. He lives to stick it to people on a daily basis. I think he is pure evil.

Last edited:
Interesting. I took the test. i may have to take the test again because I may have read a little bit too much into the questions. I also may have used the strongly agree/disagree a bit too much. Especially when the question was expressed in absolutes.

Anyway here is my score

View attachment 22832

I usually get libertarian left too. So have friends who've taken it.

I think this indicates a divide between US citizens and our government. We want it to be less authoritarian. But since both major parties are so close, it's hard to push for actual change, or just other options (an additional party that actually has a chance). Hence all of the non-voters.

Reactions: KLS52
What a week. My eyes are red from staring at the moving vote numbers for the last several days.

My 70-something parents say that they've never witnessed such a strange election.

My 80 something year old mother said that she liked Trump 4 years ago because she thought he was a good businessman. At the time, I tried to explain how many companies he bankrupted, she was not hearing it. So she did her thing. These past years she has been so upset about how Trump has been treating the country and the elderly, I was surprised she flipped sides. I just called her a few hours ago and she said "praise Jesus, praise Jesus". She normally only votes on the prolife aspect. It made me happy she stepped out of her box of religious voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.