US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been holding breath for days...I still can’t seem to ask him yet.

ETA... 😂 hahahahaha...that’s supposed to say exhale yet. I’m leaving it because it’s funny! 😁🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Comparing 2016 and 2020, quite a decline for both libertarians and greens.
My guess is some libertarian voters went for Trump to stop Biden given the dems shifting a bit to the left in recent years
And some greens similarly held their nose and voted for Biden to stop Trump

2016 (source: wikipedia)
Gary JohnsonLibertarian4,489,3413.28%
Jill SteinGreen1,457,2181.07%

2020 (source: AP)

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
My guess is some libertarian voters went for Trump to stop Biden given the dems shifting a bit to the left in recent years
I could be wrong, but I suspect more libertarians went for Biden than went for Trump. Surely voting for Trump with the prospect of him taking the country in an authoritarian direction and continuing to erode the US democracy would not be particularly appealing to people with strong libertarian leanings?

So will Trump now be prosecuted for his tax fraud? It would be wonderful to see him squirm for a change. Although, I bet he did a lot of squirming watching this election unfold.

I really want to see some newspaper with the headline "YOU"RE FIRED!"

@rogerjolly It's going the other way too! British expressions keep entering our vocabulary, along with Australian ones (there is some overlap). It's at an -ization, but it does happen.

@Lou Not just kids but also convicted felons and some people who are deemed, "mentally incapacitated."

Also! I know plenty of non-voters and it would be great if they were paid attention to. Like I said, they are mostly people who are dissatisfied with the options. They range from radicals with good jobs to people living in poverty who don't think the government will ever genuinely care about their situation.

I even hear nz expressions. i hear people calling others "bro" and that has been around for a long time, it is from Maori usage and it has been around at least as long as i have been and i only started hearing people who were non kiwis saying it over the last 5 years or so :)

• Informative
Reactions: Urban Gardener
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
So will Trump now be prosecuted for his tax fraud? It would be wonderful to see him squirm for a change. Although, I bet he did a lot of squirming watching this election unfold.

I really want to see some newspaper with the headline "YOU"RE FIRED!"

Does the Drudge report count? Google it if you want to see.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I could be wrong, but I suspect more libertarians went for Biden than went for Trump. Surely voting for Trump with the prospect of him taking the country in an authoritarian direction and continuing to erode the US democracy would not be particularly appealing to people with strong libertarian leanings?
Libertarians are, ideologically, closer to conservatives than liberals.
Libertarians believe in individual freedom and consider the far left to be a threat to that.
They believe in gun control, very low taxes, and often, reduced or no state health care. All of which is opposition to the left.

Here are the results from a Soho forum debate on the question:
Libertarians should vote for [Biden? Jorgenson? Trump?] in the next presidential election.
Votes are shown before and after talks were given.

Rightly or wrongly, the American public did not perceive Trump as an existential threat to democracy.
1604775890778.png

Good news on the world leaders- I was totally wrong about some of them hedging their bets. France (Macron), Trudeau (Canada), UK (Boris Johnson), Germany (Merkel) - all of them have congratulated Biden right away within minutes or an hour or so of the AP/CNN/NBC calls of the election.

Libertarians are, ideologically, closer to conservatives than liberals.
You have a strange definition of words. Conservatism is the most authoritarian form of government there is other than extremes such as fascism and communism. I consider myself a libertarian and I always vote for a moderate left wing government because of their higher ethical principles. Conservatives just want money and power and to stomp all over those that they dislike. Libertarians believe in freedom for all, not just themselves.

I even hear nz expressions. i hear people calling others "bro" and that has been around for a long time, it is from Maori usage and it has been around at least as long as i have been and i only started hearing people who were non kiwis saying it over the last 5 years or so :)

I've been hearing it for about 25 years, but I had NO IDEA it was of Moari origin. I thought it came from fraternity life since they call each other "brothers," and that was where I first heard it. It seemed to come from college-age, affluent, not-making-waves males in the US. Maybe it started with guys studying abroad in NZ or they got it from Kiwi classmates.

Reactions: Freesia
You have a strange definition of words. Conservatism is the most authoritarian form of government there is other than extremes such as fascism and communism. I consider myself a libertarian and I always vote for a moderate left wing government because of their higher ethical principles. Conservatives just want money and power and to stomp all over those that they dislike. Libertarians believe in freedom for all, not just themselves.

Or you can take the Political Compass stance and view authoritarian to libertarian as a separate dimension than liberal to conservative:

This matches the way it plays out in the US. Here, "conservative," basically means sticking to current or recent traditions, whereas "liberal," means creating new policies in response to emerging knowledge and concerns. Both can be varying degrees of authoritarian to libertarian.

The so-named Libertarian party here advocates for less regulation, fewer government services, and lower taxes. I remember when they were conservative-leaning. They are now a mix of everything, with members holding very different views.

Reactions: Lou
Status
Not open for further replies.