US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to really like The Guardian.

Some of my favorite lines

Donald Trump, the man who has haunted the world’s dreams and sparked a thousand nightmares, has all but lost​
And it is glumly true that even if Trump is banished from the Oval Office, Trumpism will live on in the United States.​
Yes, in a high-turnout election, Trump got more votes than he did in 2016 – but Biden got more votes than any presidential candidate in history, more even than the once-in-a-generation phenomenon that was Barack Obama.​
A dark force is being expelled from the most powerful office in the world – and at long last, we can glimpse the light.​

Reactions: Second Summer
For years now I have been disappointed with the constant Americanisation of English in the UK. For example we now always hear of trucks and train stations instead of lorries and railway stations.

The now common “sore loser”, though, is an idiom I have to admit is much more expressive than our original equivalent of “bad loser”.

It applies wonderfully to the current USA president.

Roger.

For years now I have been disappointed with the constant Americanisation of English in the UK. For example we now always hear of trucks and train stations instead of lorries and railway stations.

The now common “sore loser”, though, is an idiom I have to admit is much more expressive than our original equivalent of “bad loser”.

It applies wonderfully to the current USA president.

Roger.
Don't you mean to say, "Americanization"? (Ha ha)

@rogerjolly It's going the other way too! British expressions keep entering our vocabulary, along with Australian ones (there is some overlap). It's at an -ization, but it does happen.

@Lou Not just kids but also convicted felons and some people who are deemed, "mentally incapacitated."

Also! I know plenty of non-voters and it would be great if they were paid attention to. Like I said, they are mostly people who are dissatisfied with the options. They range from radicals with good jobs to people living in poverty who don't think the government will ever genuinely care about their situation.

So looks like NBC, CNN, AP all made the call for Biden after another little batch of votes was released in PA. NYT followed after a few minutes. :)

We're now into the territory I mentioned in post 343 that I origianally thought would happen yesterday (I didn´t account for the slow vote counting in Arizona and Nevada!). Which Republicans congratulate Biden and concede before Trump does? Does the right wing press also make the call? What about Pence? Do world leaders congratulate Biden today?

It looks like the Trump defeat could be very clear - 300+ electoral votes. That´s going to be hard or impossible to challenge with lawsuits and the supreme court. That´s good.

I also think a benefit of the drawn out counting is that Trump supporters have had 3 days to come to terms with their likely defeat since Biden took the lead in Michigan and Winsconsin. I´m hopeful that will minimize violence tonight.

So looks like NBC, CNN, AP all made the call for Biden after another little batch of votes was released in PA. NYT followed after a few minutes. :)

We're now into the territory I mentioned in post 343 that I origianally thought would happen yesterday (I didn´t account for the slow vote counting in Arizona and Nevada!). Which Republicans congratulate Biden and concede before Trump does? Does the right wing press also make the call? What about Pence? Do world leaders congratulate Biden today?

It looks like the Trump defeat could be very clear - 300+ electoral votes. That´s going to be hard or impossible to challenge with lawsuits and the supreme court. That´s good.

I also think a benefit of the drawn out counting is that Trump supporters have had 3 days to come to terms with their likely defeat since Biden took the lead in Michigan and Winsconsin. I´m hopeful that will minimize violence tonight.
I am worried about the violence factor. I was in a car with a friend yesterday in this very small town in my state, and a bunch of Trump supporters were holding a rally. Trump has been stoking the fires with all his claims of an illegitimate election and his supporters believe everything that comes out of his mouth. They refuse to accept the facts, which is what scares me. I really hope there is no unrest.

According to CNN's Wolf Blitzer we'll have the first woman as vice president and the first person of colour as vice president.

Am I right in thinking we'll also have the oldest president ever?
I believe so.

Reactions: Emma JC
I have CNN on and they said he would be the oldest President at date of Inauguration.

Some world leaders will be more than happy to congratulate Biden. I think Germany, Canada, and France are making the calls right now. Other countries will be a bit slower, but will eventually come around. It will be interesting to see where Boris Johnson comes in.

I expect many more court challenges. I don't put anything past Trump. I'm actually a little bit surprised that there hasn't been more of a concerted effort. Maybe he thought he would win (fairly). but I don't expect any to make it to the Supreme Court of the US. If SCOTUS sides with Trump, I think the nation will be really in trouble.

Trump supporters have had 3 days to gear up. You read or heard about the silver Hummer. And I still am not sure Trump will leave the Whitehouse peaceably. Perhaps if there is enough chaos he can declare martial law and stay there forever.

Maybe the best we can hope for is that he takes his private plane, his family, and closest friends and flies to... Russia and applies for asylum.

Status
Not open for further replies.