Thanksgiving in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommyandlove

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I was surprised not to see a Thanksgiving post today...

Most people are cooking turkey, stuffing and gravy packed with turkey parts... (my family included.) So, I'm bringing my children and I a veggie "turkey" Quorn roast, veggie gravy and green bean casserole to the family dinner. I'm crossing my fingers that everything else is not cooked with the turkey.

Anyone want to share about their Thanksgiving dinner & experience? Did you bring something that the "meat-eaters" liked?

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!

I am actually doing a liquid fast today in honor of all those at Standing Rock. My mom canceled the family get together, which is fine by me. I really don't care to go spend time with my meat eating family.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I've experienced more than one Thanksgiving with omnis where I did the cooking - it really depends on the people, some people are quite happy to share a well-prepared seasoned Tofurky roast, and gravy that's either homemade or dressed up with a splash of wine and herbs, along with mashed potatoes and cranberries.

Some people are really into the traditional Thanksgiving, but some people don't have the time or skills to cook for themselves, and I've more than once shared my vegan bounty with non-vegans on Thanksgiving.

This year I'm enjoying solitude but still making my Tofurky and gravy (I really like Tofurky roasts) along with roasted squash and persimmons w/maple syrup and brown sugar, pan fried okra, and cranberries.

I skipped the mashed potatoes and pie this year. Just a heads up - if you don't want to bake a homemade pie, Marie Callenders Razzleberry is accidentally vegan, and Claim Jumper Cherry pie is accidentally vegan. If you want pumpkin or pecan pie, you'll probably have to whip up your own.

This year I procured one of the newer Tofurky vegan "hams" that I'm making with the included glaze, but also baking with slices of green apple and sprigs of dried rosemary.

I'm also going to try to make a soup or dessert with a huge yam, some of the thick canned coconut milk, and pineapple. If I add onion, salt and black pepper and water it down, I can make a soup. If I add coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and leave it thick I'll have some sort of dessert.

I'm also thinking I'll make rice and some broccoli, not "traditional" like potatoes and cranberries, but I have a ton of rice and it would probably be good with the yam thing.

I just watched some van vegans sharing a Thanksgiving meal with friends (the Matneys and they are going to Toronto and so won't be in the USA for Thanksgiving) and they cooked the large Gardein turkey alternative and it looked quite good - we have only had the smaller Gardein turkey rolls.

If anyone else has one, this year, please let us know if you liked it. Their meal also included roasted purple potates with brussels sprouts, mac and cheeze, asparagas, mushroom gravy and cranberry sauce.

Emma JC

I'm excited because I'm having a Friendsgiving dinner party this year with other vegans instead of dragging my Tofurky to an omni party or eating alone.

I have the Tofurky feast with the gravy and dessert. I always "doctor" the gravy but I have never gotten the complete feast with the dessert, but that's all that's available in town because of the fires.

I'm inviting people from the school vegan club to a potluck at my place. I know at least three people will be in town that week.

I got my meat-eating husband to agree to trying the Tofurky roast instead of a bird! Thats a big victory!

That is wonderful news!! one caveat - if your budget allows you may wish to purchase the Gardein package of 2 small turkey rolls, as well, as some think they are much tastier than Tofurky. It could be a "what do you prefer" meal?

Emma JC

I'll have to see if our local meijer has those. I know they carry the brand, but specific products can be hit or miss.

They may also be sold out - hope not as they are very good.

Emma JC

Rats! Our meijer does not carry them, maybe walmart? Must google....

Our Walmart does carry Gardein but the turkey rolls are often sold out there. Thankfully I have trained my nearest large grocer to order in cases of them and they sell so well that they no longer even order Tofurky. Local wellness store will also often carry them.

Emma JC

Our walmart does not carry the rolls, not even my local health food store has them. They do have the feildroasts with rosemary and ginger though...

Our walmart does not carry the rolls, not even my local health food store has them. They do have the feildroasts with rosemary and ginger though...

That would be a decent option although I have not had one, have watched a youtube video where they compared them all, there's a few of them out there.

https://www.gardein.com has a "where to buy", might be helpful?

Emma JC

also, apparently the Fieldroast "Celebration' may be tastier than the Hazelnut Cranberry - again I have not had either

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Thank you, Emma! I tried it, but even the website said no one "near me" carries the roasts. *cry emoji*

I double checked those and no, no one carries them! Do i live under a rock? On mars? I cant be the only vegan in michigan

I wouldn't count on that "where to buy" it said that no one near me has them either and I know they do.

Emma JC

That is good enough for me, I'm gonna look for them. Maybe they'd be a specialty item for the holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.