Thai food!

LyraLyra

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been vegan for 2 1/2 years now, and I've just recently moved over to Thailand, which is a dream come true for a fruit loving maniac like myself. Seriously though, if you want to take a holiday somewhere exotic, come over to Thailand, Chaing Mai specifically, there are over 90 vegan friendly diners on happy cow over here! Also it's just a great place to live, me and my parter are in a little one bedroom place, for £150pcm!! (And that's expensive!)

Hello Lyra, welcome to the forum (from another forum newbie)!

I have been living in Malaysia for the last 2 years, so we're practically neighbours.
Do you like Durian? Season is just starting....

Best regards,
Andy

I have toyed with the idea of moving to a beach hut in Thailand for a while and the food is another factor why I would go over. It's one of my favorite foods and fresh food is so much cheaper to buy and even in the cafes or restaurants.

Are you in Chiang Mai or an island? I would love some advice on finding somewhere to rent short term and not airbnb.

Thailand has always been my dream to go visit. To tour around the islands! It seems like such a nice relaxing place however I have heard from a friend that Bangkok traffic is not good. A journey that would take half an hour normally takes something like 4 hours in rish hour traffic maybe even more from tiime to to time depending....... which I think is crazy but I am sure on the islands (or at least I hope!) that it is jjust like the postcards, picture perfect!

I love Thai food. I recently visited Hawaii with my girlfriend, and a Thai friend of hers and her family hooked me up with some free stuff. There are a lot of Thai people over there.

Papaya salad, pumpkin curry with tofu, summer rolls with peanut sauce. I was in heaven. I love how simple but good Thai food generally is, and I love how they use coconut milk in everything rather than a dairy product.

Just be wary of fish sauce. The friend of my girlfriend is really vegetarian friendly, and she doesn't use fish sauce in anything, even though she does prepare some meat dishes. From what I understand it's a common ingredient in Thai food though.

Oh yes, I've been to Thailand once (I tripped all throughout South East Asia) and it's one of my favorite travel destinations! I also found it was very vegetarian and vegan friendly - at least I certainly found it that way. And yes - tropical fruit galore was one of the best things about being there. It's a beautiful country.

I live somewhere in Asia I also can't get enough of the fruits and vegetables here. Tropical countries are so good when it comes to vegetation and agrarian reform and they're pretty friendly to foreigners. In the summer mangoes, mints, tea leaves, pineapples and lettuces are abundant while root crops and sugar cane is harvested regardless of season. Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia are archipelagos and the amount of islands leads to diversity in vegetation so I recommend these places especially for vegetarians.