Tahini dressing and homemade hummus

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Tahini is a great investment for vegans. The key in my opinion to a delicious tahini dish is plenty of lemon or lime juice.

Homemade hummus is simple and is amazing when it's fresh. Refrigeration of some for a bag lunch is fine, but frankly right after it's made it tastes even better.

Tahini Dressing

Equal parts tahini and water stirred in a bowl.

For every three tablespoons of tahini, squeeze in one half of a large lemon or two small limes.

I find it easiest to add half to one tablespoon of diced garlic that comes in a jar, but you can also dice or chop your own cloves to taste.

Add plenty of salt, to taste.

That's it! Add fresh or dried dill if desired.

Hummus

For the hummus, mash drained chickpeas in a bowl.

Add a generous splash of olive oil and mash again.

Then, all you have to do is add the tahini dressing. For an entire can of chickpeas, use a dressing based on five to six tablespoons of tahini.

You can use a food processor or blender for smooth creamy hummus but I like mine with bits of mashed chickpeas.

I always have a huge jar of tahini open and I do try to use it sparingly because of the high fat content. I love to drizzle about 2 tsp over a noodle dish or sometimes a pasta dish as it replaces (at least in my brain) the parmesan I used to love.

It does make a great dressing!

Emma JC

I haven't tried making tahini dressing - i definitely need to. I have made hummus - used to make it all the time. Always left it the oil cuz it's not at all necessary. Lately I'm just to lazy ... It's not that I hate cooking, it's the cleanup process i can't stand

Reactions: betiPT
I haven't tried making tahini dressing - i definitely need to. I have made hummus - used to make it all the time. Always left it the oil cuz it's not at all necessary. Lately I'm just to lazy ... It's not that I hate cooking, it's the cleanup process i can't stand

Well the dressing doesn't contain oil so that should be good. It's good on salads or lentils and rice or falafel sandwiches.

Reactions: betiPT
Well @Lou - that doesn't make any sense cuz that's all tahini is (sesame seeds)... ???

Oh! I didn't know that. I don't know what it is. What I do know for sure is that sometimes when I eat things that have tahini, it makes the top of my mouth itch. That's why I never order Falafels.

I have most of the ingredients of a falafel here at home. I guess I could try eating little bits of each to figure it out. I wonder if its the cumin or ground coriander. Although I put small amounts of those things in recipes all the time.

Its been a long time, but I have had that reaction with non-falafel dishes. I thought the thing they all had in common was tahini.

This forum is so educational!

Oh! I didn't know that. I don't know what it is. What I do know for sure is that sometimes when I eat things that have tahini, it makes the top of my mouth itch. That's why I never order Falafels.

I have most of the ingredients of a falafel here at home. I guess I could try eating little bits of each to figure it out. I wonder if its the cumin or ground coriander. Although I put small amounts of those things in recipes all the time.

Its been a long time, but I have had that reaction with non-falafel dishes. I thought the thing they all had in common was tahini.

This forum is so educational!
It could be the cumin?? There's actually a lot of spices in a falafel - but the tahini is actually in the dressing of a falafel pita, not in the falafel itself. I have a friend who is sensitive to cumin, so that's just a wild guess

It could be the cumin?? There's actually a lot of spices in a falafel - but the tahini is actually in the dressing of a falafel pita, not in the falafel itself. I have a friend who is sensitive to cumin, so that's just a wild guess

That is a good guess. And now I want to try some Tahini and see what happens.

Sometimes I make my tahini dressing with apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice, or a combination of the two. Lots of pepper and fresh dill. Dijon mustard too.

If you like spicy then mixing in some sriracha or other hot sauce is good. Some maple syrup (Canadian! lol) is also a great addition or simple berry jam. And leaving tahini just for a moment - has anyone else tried Rip Esselstyn's Dragon Sauce - it is so good:

peanut butter, rice vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, hot sauce, garlic cloves, minced ginger and a bit of water and it is great as a sauce, a dressing or a dip

Emma JC

If you like spicy then mixing in some sriracha or other hot sauce is good. Some maple syrup (Canadian! lol) is also a great addition or simple berry jam. And leaving tahini just for a moment - has anyone else tried Rip Esselstyn's Dragon Sauce - it is so good:

peanut butter, rice vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, hot sauce, garlic cloves, minced ginger and a bit of water and it is great as a sauce, a dressing or a dip

Emma JC
That sounds a lot like the marinade I make for tofu, minus the peanut butter, that ends up getting out on everything.