T2 Diabetic sugar peaks-Help please!

Yes, that is what I believe as well.

Wow, that is a really great idea. I will definitely try this. Thanks! How much of these do you add, 10%?, more?

I am amazed about the banana, isn't that huge amounts of sugar?

I used to adore peanut butter, but surely that can't be eaten on a low-fat vegan diet, as per Dr. Barnard.

I do the microwave cooking too and so I put about a 1/4 cups of rolled oats, about an 1/8 to a 1/4 cup of soy curl crumbs, a teaspoon of molassess and one date in a large bowl, microwave for 1.5 minutes then add about a 1/2 to 1 cup of mixed frozen berries or 1/2 cup wild blueberries, back into the micro for another 1.5 to 2 minutes, then I add the other ingredients including "powdered" peanut butter (so the fat content is way less).

When I make steel cut I use about 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and about 2 tbsps of rinsed split red lentils.

I do not eat at all until 12-2 pm and on alternating days I have my veggie, soy curl, noodley soup and again not until 12-2 pm. I work from home so this allows me the ability to eat this way. We eat just 2 meals a day and often our later one is small if I have the noodley soup for lunch.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and TMR
You wish that you could eat less fats or more?
Most of the vegan diet experts recommend a hand full of nuts every day. Good source of Omega 3.

You should check out the local library and book store for

How Not to Die by Greger. It has a chapter on Diabetes.
Also Greger's organization Nutrition Facts has a few good articles and videos you can check out.

Neal Barnard's books, Reversing Diabetes and Mastering Diabetes.
His organization is PCRM

I thought Esselstyn had a book about diabetes. But I must have mis-remembered.
ButDr. Fuhrman has a book called Ending Diabetes. Fuhrman is another respected vegan M.D.

but there are literally dozens of plant based Diabetes books out there - quite a few cookbooks, too.

Oh, and at the end of your first post you asked for personal success stories. How about this guy, Eric Adams.

Eric Adams has a book too. Healthy At Last.
Thanks Lou, very useful information and an encouraging example!

Reactions: Emma JC and bEt
The question is why you feel that you have to eat the traditional breakfast foods in the morning?
Good point. Old habits I guess. Reframing this I can see that more than a traditional breakfast what I need now is something I can get on the plate in no time at all. From everyone's kind comments here I can see how that is possible now!
In Chicago, there was a doctor that did all the health reports for one of the news stations. She lost 150 pounds by having a large salad for breakfast. There is no reason we have to eat oatmeal, cereal, or toast for breakfast.

I don't have any problem eating the leftovers from the night before, or having a salad or soup.

If oatmeal spikes your glucose in the morning, have a salad or a bowl of soup.

You don't have to restrict yourself to traditional breakfast foods.
Makes sense. Thnx.
You can get the Mastering Diabetes book from the library. These guys are pretty good.

I look forward to reading it.

I feel compelled to argue about the fats issue, because low fat isn't the same as no fat, and I really believe that everyone's body is different: what works great for me (or you) may not work for lots of other people.
Very good point. I can't argue with you since I have NO idea about these things. I am just trying to follow what I understand from the book I read. I guess that once the first few weeks pass and the blood-sugar levels are stable then I can try introducing some nuts and avocado.
And what works for me today may not work next year or even next week, because conditions change and people change. If you really like the oatmeal, adding the soy curls could make a difference for your blood sugar issue. You could also try adding a measured amount of seeds like chia, pumpkin seeds, sunflower. I tried an oatmeal once that had chia seeds mixed in, so that you cooked them with the oatmeal.
This follows on from Emma's suggestion and I will try them out.
I believe I've heard that exercise, even light exercise, plays a role in blood sugar health. Is that something you've talked to your doctors/medical team about?
I have just heard about this on a YouTube video today so I will have to get out of the chair a little each day!
Also here is a link to some tempeh recipes, at least some of which could probably be made ahead and frozen for a quick breakfast add-in:

If those don't appeal, a search may reveal other options.
Looks great. Thanks. One thing that has really surprised me is how quickly my taste buds have adapted to the change. A couple of months back, if you had told me, between burgers, that I would really enjoy eating these things, I would have laughed, but truth be told, I haven't eaten any vegan stuff that I didn't really love.
You know, looking back, I feel like my blood sugar swings (entirely subjective, just how I 'feel', because just about everyone in my immediate biological family has some subclinical issue with this--the a1c I just got back was fine, so I don't have real diabetes), improved some after I started getting omga 3's from a vegan algal oil supplement and also made it a point to eat more seaweed, which also supplies some EPA. But I was changing other things around that time, too, so I can't say it was that specifically.
This link is about fish oil--it was the first thing that showed up with a search about blood sugar and EPA/DHA, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply equally to the vegan supplements, and there are a lot of companies offering them now.

Wow. Interesting, I would never have thought it would help lower blood sugar!

I do the microwave cooking too and so I put about a 1/4 cups of rolled oats, about an 1/8 to a 1/4 cup of soy curl crumbs, a teaspoon of molassess and one date in a large bowl, microwave for 1.5 minutes then add about a 1/2 to 1 cup of mixed frozen berries or 1/2 cup wild blueberries, back into the micro for another 1.5 to 2 minutes, then I add the other ingredients including "powdered" peanut butter (so the fat content is way less).
OK, so the oats to soy is about 50% The surprising thing is how small a portion you make. I don't measure things out, and we don't use "cups" as a measure in Europe, but from what I understand, a cup is around 200g, so I must be eating twice that amount in a ration!
When I make steel cut I use about 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and about 2 tbsps of rinsed split red lentils.

I do not eat at all until 12-2 pm and on alternating days I have my veggie, soy curl, noodley soup and again not until 12-2 pm. I work from home so this allows me the ability to eat this way. We eat just 2 meals a day and often our later one is small if I have the noodley soup for lunch.

Emma JC
That is amazing, I mean, not eating until so late. I am away at 6am and eating by 6:15... o_O

There are many easy savoury breakfast recipes you can make that will prevent sugar spikes. I also steer clear of carb
breakfasts as I have a slight intolerance to high carb meals, especially in the morning and mid afternoon. I like to have smoked
tempeh with mashed avocado on multiseed artisan ww toast. Adding fat and protein sort of cancels out the carbs.

Tofu bake (sort of muffins) with vegetables are also one of my favourite breakfasts.

These are my ideal sort of meals but depending on where I am and what food is available. I usually end up eating toast (multi seed, ww) with spread and Marmite. When avocados are on so, I will often have them mashed with a slice of vacon. These kind of savoury meals never give me the jitters and I can go without having a mid morning snack.

I sometimes have a bowl of porridge made with pinhead oats. Despite adding seeds and or pb, I still get hunger pangs after 2 hours of having eaten them. I absolutely cannot tolerate instant oat flakes and feel hungry after about 1h 30.

Thanks, I look at this stuff. Regarding time to hunger, that happens to me with most things I eat, I mean, 2 hours tops, and then I'm hungry again!

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
Thanks, I look at this stuff. Regarding time to hunger, that happens to me with most things I eat, I mean, 2 hours tops, and then I'm hungry again!

Same here. Even if I have pinhead oats and or add pb, seeds, I'm hungry soon afterwards. Annoying isn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: bEt and TMR

I went looking for these, and you can find almost anything you set out to find on the internet, but still interesting.

And I'm glad to hear you are thinking about adding some kind of exercise/walking. It is well worth the time!

Reactions: Emma JC and TMR
OK, so the oats to soy is about 50% The surprising thing is how small a portion you make. I don't measure things out, and we don't use "cups" as a measure in Europe, but from what I understand, a cup is around 200g, so I must be eating twice that amount in a ration!

That is amazing, I mean, not eating until so late. I am away at 6am and eating by 6:15... o_O

Yes, although when I really think about it is almost 1/1 soy curl crumbs to rolled oats and I use a lot of water so that the result is almost soupy and the other thing I forgot to say is that I sprinkle a small handful of walnuts pieces on the top as well. This helps with satiety.

By the time I add all the fruit and other items it is a very large bowl (pasta bowl) of food.

We do (by default and somewhat by intention) do intermittent fasting as we eat dinner around 7:30-8 and then don't eat again until noon or later. If I was up by 6am I would eat around 10am or so.

I do agree that on the days I have oatmeal (rolled oats) I may have a small snack (usually pretzels) around 4:30 although adding a small amount (1/8 tsp approx) of salt to my oats helps me from being hungry sooner as my opinion only is that because oatmeal isn't very salty my taste buds protest and want that salty snack. I try to do as Dr McDougall, and others, suggest and add just a small amount of salt on top of my food instead of mixing it in and that seems to keep the cravings in check.

I also try to do at least 5 minutes in the morning, first thing, on my small trampoline (rebounder) and then tend to couch potato it. :rolleyes:
More exercise coming soon, hopefully, as I asked for a Tai Chi video and a yoga video for Christmas and received them...

Emma JC

Reactions: TMR and bEt
Yes, although when I really think about it is almost 1/1 soy curl crumbs to rolled oats and I use a lot of water so that the result is almost soupy and the other thing I forgot to say is that I sprinkle a small handful of walnuts pieces on the top as well. This helps with satiety.

By the time I add all the fruit and other items it is a very large bowl (pasta bowl) of food.

We do (by default and somewhat by intention) do intermittent fasting as we eat dinner around 7:30-8 and then don't eat again until noon or later. If I was up by 6am I would eat around 10am or so.

I do agree that on the days I have oatmeal (rolled oats) I may have a small snack (usually pretzels) around 4:30 although adding a small amount (1/8 tsp approx) of salt to my oats helps me from being hungry sooner as my opinion only is that because oatmeal isn't very salty my taste buds protest and want that salty snack. I try to do as Dr McDougall, and others, suggest and add just a small amount of salt on top of my food instead of mixing it in and that seems to keep the cravings in check.

I also try to do at least 5 minutes in the morning, first thing, on my small trampoline (rebounder) and then tend to couch potato it. :rolleyes:
More exercise coming soon, hopefully, as I asked for a Tai Chi video and a yoga video for Christmas and received them...

Emma JC
Thanks, very interesting and useful. Hey, if it works for you it might for me. I can see there is no way of getting around the exercise bit :unamused:

Reactions: bEt
Actually that is a good thing for a diabetic. Frequent small meals is best.
One strategy that I have seen recommended is three 300 -400 calories meals and two or three 50 - 200 calorie snacks.

• Informative
I can see there is no way of getting around the exercise bit :unamused:
What I've heard about exercise is that you need to find something you enjoy. I've seen people walking while listening to podcasts. I like to identify plants if I'm out walking. I live in a place where I can commute by bike. A neighbor has some contraption she uses when she watches TV. Some people like individual activities, some like to be in a group. You have to try a couple of things and see what works for you.

quick update on adding lentils to oatmeal - we have been watching a number of lentil videos on Youtube and it is fascinating and they are so nutritionous - the one relevant piece of information they brought up was that lentils can reduce blood glucose levels by 20-30% - maybe do some quick research and it may convince you to add them your morning meal

Emma JC

Yet another thing to consider. But I guess I should assume that you were measuring blood sugar before, with other breakfasts and the same caffeine intake, and had lower readings. And any difference caffeine would make is probably small anyhow.

Thanks, been really busy and not entered here for a while. As I mentioned in a PM, still vegan and still loving it, but sugar levels are still a problem. Giving up coffee is not something I would consider, it is one of the few pleasures I still have.

What I've heard about exercise is that you need to find something you enjoy. I've seen people walking while listening to podcasts. I like to identify plants if I'm out walking. I live in a place where I can commute by bike. A neighbor has some contraption she uses when she watches TV. Some people like individual activities, some like to be in a group. You have to try a couple of things and see what works for you.
Yes indeed, days are often too busy for a proper workout, but I have been advised to do 2-3 minutes of aerobic activity (star jumps, burpees, etc.) every 30 minutes. I might look a bit stupid in the office but...

quick update on adding lentils to oatmeal - we have been watching a number of lentil videos on Youtube and it is fascinating and they are so nutritionous - the one relevant piece of information they brought up was that lentils can reduce blood glucose levels by 20-30% - maybe do some quick research and it may convince you to add them your morning meal

Emma JC
I wish Emma JC... I have tried cutting oatmeal with a range of things, lentils, TVP, veg, but it still spikes my sugar level, so it is a no no for me. I have found a homemade "bread" (made with two cups of chickpea flour, one cup of brown lentils, nuts, seeds, etc., and a cup of water, no fat), to be much better. No sugar spikes, even with peanut butter on it, and surprisingly nice! It is a pain to cut and toast, since there is no fat to bind it all together, it crumbles a lot.

Thanks for the info, BTW, I eat lentils almost everyday, they are nice and easy to combine. Can't say I've seen any reduction in glucose levels however...

Yes indeed, days are often too busy for a proper workout, but I have been advised to do 2-3 minutes of aerobic activity (star jumps, burpees, etc.) every 30 minutes. I might look a bit stupid in the office but...
At lunch time A group of us used to take our sandwiches and eat and walk and talk at the same time.

Hi, @TMR ...

I'm hoping things are going well for you. Type 2 Diabetes runs in my father's family, but so far, I haven't developed it. I try not to consume a lot of carbs late in the day when my physical activity is decreasing, but sometimes it's not easy.

I love rolled oats, but for some time now I haven't been cooking them. I pour rolled oats (regular- not the quick-cooking, "instant" kind) into a bowl with the liquid of my choice, let them soak a bit, and eat them (usually with a piece of fruit, but some times plain). Have you tried oats this way, with or without fruit? If you find them really boring or unappetizing, are there low-calorie or artificial healthy sweeteners you could use? I'm sure there are Diabetes support groups which could offer good suggestions, although they're probably not vegetarian.