Sugar-Free and Vegan

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello,
I keep going back and forth from veggie to vegan. I was vegan before, and I haven’t intentionally eaten meat since I was 13 (I’m now 26).
I have binge eating disorder and a sugar addiction. I am thinking of going sugar-free, but I want to go vegan as well. Has anyone here ever done sugar-free and vegan at the same time? What was it like? Was it easy? How could I do this and actually stick to it and not give up?
Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Hello,
I keep going back and forth from veggie to vegan. I was vegan before, and I haven’t intentionally eaten meat since I was 13 (I’m now 26).
I have binge eating disorder and a sugar addiction. I am thinking of going sugar-free, but I want to go vegan as well. Has anyone here ever done sugar-free and vegan at the same time? What was it like? Was it easy? How could I do this and actually stick to it and not give up?
Thank you.
Two very good goals, but with an eating disorder I recommend caution. Trying to do this could be triggering.

I'm always recommending Cronometer to people. However, I have learned that for people with eating disorders, nutrient tracking can be triggering.

If you can track your nutrients (with or without Cronometer) I would work backwards as well as you can and then set that as a base. From there on I would just try to make incremental and gradual changes.

There are lots of articles on how to to this. You might ask for suggestions. Some of the easiest ways is to eliminate or reduce foods in groups. Like one week eliminate beef and the next week eliminate chocolate.

One technique I've used and have had success with is by making a plan. Map out every thing for a few days or a week in advance. and only eat the things on your list. I like to recommend the Vegan Kickstart plan by PCRM. It's a great idiot proof way to get started. or you can use Dr. Gregars Daily Dozen. I find when I stick to the daily dozen I'm so full I have no room for the stuff that is not on the list.

Reactions: Emma JC
I did some time back, relying on dates to sweeten things

I try and keep sugar to a minimun, and have quit soda pop for years. I thought about this thread now because I'm having one of the non sweetened carbonated soda while eating a date and it really makes it taste sweet!

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hello,
Thank you.
Sugar free is because of the connection with insects like ants while vegan stay far from farms but I think animals can be vegan too so why do not be a vegan that eat sugars

Sugar free is because of the connection with insects like ants while vegan stay far from farms but I think animals can be vegan too so why do not be a vegan that eat sugars
Thanks, but that wasn’t what I asked. You made a good point about the ants, but the reason for my wanting to go sugar-free wasn’t an ethical reason; it’s just because I have quite a bad addiction to sugar and I have undiagnosed binge eating disorder. I want to go vegan for ethical reasons, but I also thought it would be a good idea to go sugar-free. However, both sugar-free and vegan are hard enough to do on their own, let alone both at the same time, so I was asking for other people’s advice on this.

Thanks, but that wasn’t what I asked. You made a good point about the ants, but the reason for my wanting to go sugar-free wasn’t an ethical reason; it’s just because I have quite a bad addiction to sugar and I have undiagnosed binge eating disorder. I want to go vegan for ethical reasons, but I also thought it would be a good idea to go sugar-free. However, both sugar-free and vegan are hard enough to do on their own, let alone both at the same time, so I was asking for other people’s advice on this.
Ok the sugar is addicting but it is tasty especially for the brown sugar it taste real good there is a substitute the fructose

I mostly gave up sugar as an effort to save my teeth. I also lost some weight as a bonus. Some may also do it to help with diabetes or becoming diabetic. I think goals like that would be most effective in kicking the sugar habit.

Reactions: bEt
It is important to do not eat animals as they are tortured in the farms waiting to die and probably they know that they will be cooked as humiliation to be inferior as harmless being vegan even if the air is full of vapours of kitchens that cook pieces of chopped creatures that are probably rottening giving that very strange smell of corpse full of worms that then is breathed unfortunately

I think leaving sugar out is helpful if you can get the sweetness you want from fruits instead.
Fruits have other good things like soluble fiber and antioxidants.

Reactions: Alessandro