Stories that restore your faith in humanity

Sweet. Such character behind some of those faces.

Tim Young and Paul Hullings from New Jersey are hearty firefighters that live for their work. They once worked tirelessly for 12 hours to clear out a fire. After which, being completely exhausted, they went to a diner around 6 am to request the strongest cup of coffee the diner could muster.

Their waitress that day was Liz Woodward and she just happened to overhear the two firefighters discussing their tiresome battle. Eventually, when Tim and Paul went to pay, they were quite surprising. Instead of their bill, they were given this message.

As Tim and Paul read this message, their eyes fill up with tears. Emotionally, they thank the kind waitress for her warm gesture. On Facebook, Tim recounts the event : “Such a selfless and kind act. I definitely urge my friends to make a trip out and support the business, and if Liz happens to be your waitress, tip big.

But the story doesn't end there...

This waitress doodles on a receipt. When she opens Facebook 2 hours later, she almost faints.

Reactions: Mikkel and Amy SF
Good that they caught the kittens (but wait ... does it not say, those kittens jumped in the water when they saw their boat approaching? confused), not so good on the other hand that they were out there angling.

A Hamilton, Ont. university student didn't back off when a middle-aged man approached him on a packed bus to shake his hand — and he didn't pull away when the stranger held on, either.

Instead, Godfrey Coutto sat with the man, whose name is Robert, for his entire Tuesday ride home on the 10 B-Line Express bus.

At various points, Robert wrapped an arm around Coutto, 21, and even kissed his hands until the McMaster University student left the bus at its final stop. Robert then wandered away to hug someone else, but they ignored him, Coutto recalled.

"I was like, 'Yo, what's going on? Am I getting pranked or something?' I wasn't. I looked at him [and realized] he's special-needs," Coutto told Global News...
Student lauded online for holding special-needs stranger's hand
Mac student's viral act of kindness rewarded

Reactions: KLS52
Reactions: Danielle
What can you do, it's a great thing for an omni to do, and likely one of the cheaper available food options.

I was thinking while reading about it that if it was me, I'd go to Burger King and get 100 veggieburgers to hand out, but not everyone thinks that way. Honestly, I think the people who got those free burgers were very grateful.

Honestly, I think the people who got those free burgers were very grateful.

Always remember .... it is US, who are the strange ones.
The "average person" on the street, a hamburger is what s/he considers food.
They would never even think about it the way we do, unfortunately.

(And don't ask what commentators would say if there was a passage in the article that one of the homeless had complained as s/he was vegetarian and could not eat the burger.... ;))

For years I have been giving out peanut butter sandwiches and oranges (in season) weekly to a group of homeless living in a sort of camp near my old workplace, so I'm not immune to the hunger issues that shamefully still exist.

And it was so nice of those kids to feed the hungry, don't get me wrong.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
I know some people who give PB sandwiches and come back with some funny stories about those who don't like peanut butter, lol.

I always have conflicting thoughts on this type of issue. One the one hand, you would think someone in that position would be grateful to receive anything...kind of like "beggars can't be choosers". On the other hand, I feel like it's not the right attitude to take. It disrespectful. Obviously, when giving handouts to a large group of people, you can be taking special orders. I suppose the best case is, if it's a small group that you give to often, you pretty much know what works.

It's a sad situation all around. And shameful as ledboots said.