Still struggling with wanting cheese

I have a somewhat of a different take on the subject. After 15 years, I still crave cheese. At some point I don’t know if there really is a solution

Maybe you can allow yourself some halloumi, say, once a week?
Then maybe gradually lengthen the time in between. If a taste of cheese on occasion is the only “transgression” against veganism, you are still doing an awful lot of good.

Totally agree.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1956
Rory asked for help in Not eating cheese. I don’t understand the reasoning behind trying to help her feel better about eating it. Yes, it is Much easier to just give in to wanting something however, she also said that it made her feel bad after eating it.
When the cruelty of something like the dairy industry is known it’s impossible to unknow it. Rory didn’t say that she wanted to go vegetarian she has done that and is asking for help to remain Vegan.
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but, I do feel Really strongly about this. It just makes me feel sad that there is less support to help her stay Vegan.

Reactions: Lou and Brian W
Rory asked for help in Not eating cheese. I don’t understand the reasoning behind trying to help her feel better about eating it. Yes, it is Much easier to just give in to wanting something however, she also said that it made her feel bad after eating it.
When the cruelty of something like the dairy industry is known it’s impossible to unknow it. Rory didn’t say that she wanted to go vegetarian she has done that and is asking for help to remain Vegan.
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but, I do feel Really strongly about this. It just makes me feel sad that there is less support to help her stay Vegan.
I wasn’t trying to be non supportive. I was suggesting weaning off gradually, hence where I said lengthening the time between having the halloumi.
And I think I might have reacted more off of Lou’s comment about it being an ongoing issue. There were many helpful suggestions. I wanted to point out that sometimes it does just come down to will power.
No need to apologize for being passionate about it. It’s a worthy cause. I’m not offended. As someone who struggles often I like to acknowledge the fact that sometimes it’s just hard. I often hear people say how easy it is to be vegan but it’s not the case for everyone. I wouldn’t want someone to give up thinking it has to be all or nothing. I didn’t have any additional advice other than to say maybe try reducing the amount consumed gradually.

I think that if it was just your post and speaking as someone who has had difficulty themselves I wouldn’t have made my post. It just sort of felt to me that having someone agreeing with it sent the message that giving up cheese is Too hard to do. Giving up cheese maybe isn’t easy for some people, however, the alternative is suffering for Many precious cows and other animals.
Truth be told, my feeling is that many people put Way too much importance on the types of food that they like .
Yes, I think that we should enjoy our food but, not if it causes suffering.
I do know how difficult addiction can be from personal experience and from this experience I still think that quitting something full stop is more effective than reducing...
I am sure that all of the posts have been made in wanting to support Rory...

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Sometimes it's still tempting when it comes to cheese dips.
The thing that helped me is to find something else that I like to eat instead of cheese, but it had to be savory. Something like sundried tomatoes, hummus, guacamole. If I knew how good boiled peanuts were, I would have chose that as a cheese replacement too, when transitioning. Now I get Miyoko's cheese wheels. My favorite type of cheese are the dips and spreads.
It might be hard at first, but I think finding something you like as a comfort food is how you can quit cheese. Thinking about the animals can help to an extent, but what you want to find other food you can be satisfied with instead.

Last edited:
I had a very hard time giving up cheese. It was the last thing I stopped eating to get me vegan. The only time I truly miss it is on pizza. But ethically, I just can't stomach eating dairy cheese, not when I think about the horrors that go into dairy production. I agree with KLS, that the bottom line is that you make a choice, either way, and live with it. It doesn't mean you won't struggle or miss it, but my thoughts about what happens to the animals outweigh any desire for something that is a temporary pleasure for humans. It's not temporary for the animals, though, and that keeps me from ever considering going back to dairy cheese.

Sometimes it's still tempting when it comes to cheese dips.
The thing that helped me is to find something else that I like to eat instead of cheese, but it had to be savory. Something like sundried tomatoes, hummus, guacamole. If I knew how good boiled peanuts were, I would have chose that as a cheese replacement too, when transitioning. Now I get Miyoko's cheese wheels. My favorite type of cheese are the dips and spreads.
It might be hard at first, but I think finding something you like as a comfort food is how you can quit cheese. Thinking about the animals can help to an extent, but what you want to find other food you can be satisfied with instead.
Their chive spread is pretty bomb 🎇

Would taste cheeses regularly when working in fine dining. Nothing vegan compares yet to the hard cheeses. There are multiple studies out there comparing the addictive quality of casein to the dopamine release of hard drugs.

I don't think I've ever had halloumi, so I looked up vegan versions and this sounds good--
I think I'd try it with za'tar as mint sounds strange to me :???:
Does dairy halloumi have mint?

No, it doesn't contain mint as it's a semi hard (goat/sheep milk) cheese. It is very hight in fat and salt and melts really well. It's usually served either pan fried or grilled. It can either be made from veg. or normal rennet which sometimes makes it not suitable for vegetarians.
Violife have a substitute called Mediterranean block but it has mixed reviews.

1614151858273.png

Reactions: Sproutskies
Their chive spread is pretty bomb 🎇

Would taste cheeses regularly when working in fine dining. Nothing vegan compares yet to the hard cheeses. There are multiple studies out there comparing the addictive quality of casein to the dopamine release of hard drugs.
Nothing yet for hard cheese, sadly. I hope one day there will be.
There are other things that do the same too, like sugar, chocolate, coffee.
When I eat vegan frankfurters with bone sucking mustard, sometimes my brain feels like it's on fire, in a good way. That is some good mustard.
Burning sage can make me feel better if I’m feeling down.

Nothing yet for hard cheese, sadly. I hope one day there will be.
There are other things that do the same too, like sugar, chocolate, coffee.
When I eat vegan frankfurters with bone sucking mustard, sometimes my brain feels like it's on fire, in a good way. That is some good mustard.
Bone sucking mustard??!!

No, it doesn't contain mint as it's a semi hard (goat/sheep milk) cheese. It is very hight in fat and salt and melts really well. It's usually served either pan fried or grilled. It can either be made from veg. or normal rennet which sometimes makes it not suitable for vegetarians.
Violife have a substitute called Mediterranean block but it has mixed reviews.

View attachment 23812
Seems it's commonly served with mint--from Wiki-
The cheese is white, with a distinctive layered texture, similar to mozzarella, and has a salty flavour. It is stored in its natural juices. It is commonly garnished with mint, a practice based on the fact that halloumi keeps better and stays fresher and more flavoursome when wrapped with mint leaves.[citation needed] In accordance with this tradition, some packages of halloumi contain fragments of mint leaves on the surface of the cheese.
Three vegan recipes used mint! Grilled tofu with olive oil, lemon and nooch is good, but hardly cheesy!

• Informative
Hello 👋,
I went vegan first at 20. I am now 25. I went back to veggie last year. I have gone to and fro from veggie to vegan quite a lot as of recent times.
I absolutely love cheese. Even though I have vegan cheese, I still struggle with this. I still often want regular cheese, in particular halloumi. However, I often feel really bad and upset after eating regular cheese because of the animals...
What should I do?
Thanks.
I can relate, I have an extremely hard time not eating fish.

Seems it's commonly served with mint--from Wiki-

Three vegan recipes used mint! Grilled tofu with olive oil, lemon and nooch is good, but hardly cheesy!

Not the ones that are available in major supermarkets. Perhaps it was a way of conserving hallouimi back in the old days. It's quite a popular cheese in Europe especially with vegetarians as it makes a very substantial meal and quite easy to cook.

I've never seen it in the US and don't know whether the taste would appeal to consumers as it's very salty and has a high fat content.