Soy curls

I finally did it. It’s good but it’s missing something. I didn’t have any pineapple or chili paste so I kept it basic with onions, mushrooms and some Bragg’s amino acids. I think it will taste better when I reheat in the air fryer. But I’m definitely interested. I think I would like the pineapple…something to add a little sweetness. So all in all I’m pleased. The texture is pretty amazing.

when not using in soups or my oatmeal I always soak it in some flavours and good strong ones like garlic powder, soy sauce, liquid smoke, Better than Bouillon roasted garlic etc - otherwise, you're right it will be missing something

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

when not using in soups or my oatmeal I always soak it in some flavours and good strong ones like garlic powder, soy sauce, liquid smoke, Better than Bouillon roasted garlic etc - otherwise, you're right it will be missing something

Emma JC
Yeah I just rehydrated these in vegetable bouillon. I will definitely get more creative. But I’m going to have some for lunch with fried rice.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC

Emma JC
I rehydrate in water, rinse, and press dry before adding flavors. You don't notice the taste that rehydrating leaves? When I've tried broth it tastes nasty to me after they soak! I have to rinse first
I guess this is like the 'vital wheat gluten' taste people complain of! Glad I don't get that!

I rehydrate in water, rinse, and press dry before adding flavors. You don't notice the taste that rehydrating leaves? When I've tried broth it tastes nasty to me after they soak! I have to rinse first
I guess this is like the 'vital wheat gluten' taste people complain of! Glad I don't get that!
I think I know what you mean about the taste. Maybe I need to do the water first. I did water the first time but then let them go bad in the fridge before I had a chance to use them. I tasted one plain and was turned off immediately. That’s why I thought it would be better to rehydrate in broth. I still squeezed them dry then stir fried with the onions and mushrooms.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I think I know what you mean about the taste. Maybe I need to do the water first. I did water the first time but then let them go bad in the fridge before I had a chance to use them. I tasted one plain and was turned off immediately. That’s why I thought it would be better to rehydrate in broth. I still squeezed them dry then stir fried with the onions and mushrooms.
You do need to season well, but yeah, to me rinsing and really pressing dry in a wire sieve is the way to go. I often toss with a little oil and things like poultry seasoning blend, montreal, fajita, or soy sauce ginger and garlic for teriyaki vibe. I'll mix with some cornstarch and sautee till lightly browned, then add sauce and whatever
In things where they get cooked together and not rehydrated first I;m fine with-like in a soup, chili or casserole

I have never had an issue with taste so I am not able to relate - maybe because I do use very strong flavours when marinating and in my soups and even in my oatmeal, where I use the crumbs - in the oatmeal I put molasses in the water then add the oats, a date, soy curl crumbs and put in the microwave for 1.5 minutes, then add frozen fruit and microwave again and this allows the curls and the rolled oats to soak up the molasses water - I maybe can relate as I have a hard time getting my tofu to soak up flavours and do not like the unflavoured taste of it.

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I have never had an issue with taste so I am not able to relate - maybe because I do use very strong flavours when marinating and in my soups and even in my oatmeal, where I use the crumbs - in the oatmeal I put molasses in the water then add the oats, a date, soy curl crumbs and put in the microwave for 1.5 minutes, then add frozen fruit and microwave again and this allows the curls and the rolled oats to soak up the molasses water - I maybe can relate as I have a hard time getting my tofu to soak up flavours and do not like the unflavoured taste of it.

Emma JC
I like plain right out of the carton tofu. The soy curls give off what I taste as like stale oil, so if I don't rinse and dry it ruins the other flavors.
I'm not the only one, why I compare it to people who complain of "gluten" taste

• Friendly
I like plain right out of the carton tofu. The soy curls give off what I taste as like stale oil, so if I don't rinse and dry it ruins the other flavors.
I'm not the only one, why I compare it to people who complain of "gluten" taste

It is a good thing that we all like different tastes and dislike others or the world would be a boring place where we all ate the equivalent (vegan, of course) of soylent green.

Emma JC

Tonight I decided to make a soy curls stir fry. I decided to rehydrate and then drain them because last time they were a bit difficult to digest (I had not drained the rehydration water but had used it as stock instead). So today after rehydration and draining, I marinated soy curls in molasses, pepper spice, dijon, liquid smoke, BBQ spice mix, garlic powder and soy sauce.

I then stir fried them up with coconut milk, garlic, bok choy, purple onion and red bell pepper. I served stir fry on quinoa and red lentils in ginger and curry. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
the only way I can order it online, as far as I know, is to order 4 boxes. Since I've never had any and don't know I will like it, I'm reluctant to order so much.

the only way I can order it online, as far as I know, is to order 4 boxes. Since I've never had any and don't know I will like it, I'm reluctant to order so much.
I would be too. The more you buy the better a discount. I bought the 12 lb box a couple years back and including shipping was only $64. At the time I believe one half pound bag was going for $4!
I would call around whatever natural food stores, or stores that have bulk bins.
Have you checked Butlers site? I know it misses some, but a lot in CA

May have mentioned this earlier, if you do buy a fair amount at a time, be sure to store the unopened packages in the fridge or freezer. Not if it is just for a week or two but if it is for longer they stay fresh much better that way.

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Maybe we should make a Soy Curls exchange on this forum so we can send every interested member who wants to try it one box who wants to try it.

And for those of us who do not have gigantic refrigerators we can split up the too large quantities available direct from the supplier(s).

• Love
Maybe we should make a Soy Curls exchange on this forum so we can send every interested member who wants to try it one box who wants to try it.

And for those of us who do not have gigantic refrigerators we can split up the too large quantities available direct from the supplier(s).

Please send me a box.
;)