Soy curls

I love soy curl jerky! My first stab at it was a major success. I was worried that I had smoked them too long or too dry. I only did one pan of wood chips, but left them in the smoker to dehydrate an additional hour without smoke. I thought they were crispy at first glance, but they are perfect. They have retained just the right amount of moisture, and the flavour is amazing. They have a real meaty chew to the texture. I am beyond happy with the end result.

I took the ingredients from the recipes I thought looked tasty, and created a custom recipe mix. The end result must have been a stroke of luck. I am so impressed with these. What a darn tasty snack!

Here's what I used:

• ¾ cup hot water
  • ¼ cup tamari sauce
  • 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil
  • 1 tablespoon Marmite
  • 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
  • ½ teaspoon Sambal Oelek (garlic chili paste)
I put a squeeze of freeze lime juice in mine and sprinkled the moist soy curls with smoked maple sugar before putting them in the smoker. They probably spent two hours total in the smoker. I lucked out! I wouldn't change a thing to this recipe.

My process was a quick re-hydrate in hot water first. I then squeezed the water out. Now I put them in the marinade. I only did this because I recalled hearing, might have been Sauce Stache, saying if you don't rinse them first, they tend to have a funky taste to them. So I did it that way. They still soaked up more than enough of that marinade flavour. So having a nice texture, good flavour and real infused wood smoke, I could not ask for a better vegan jerky, imho.

I love soy curl jerky! My first stab at it was a major success. I was worried that I had smoked them too long or too dry. I only did one pan of wood chips, but left them in the smoker to dehydrate an additional hour without smoke. I thought they were crispy at first glance, but they are perfect. They have retained just the right amount of moisture, and the flavour is amazing. They have a real meaty chew to the texture. I am beyond happy with the end result.

I took the ingredients from the recipes I thought looked tasty, and created a custom recipe mix. The end result must have been a stroke of luck. I am so impressed with these. What a darn tasty snack!

Here's what I used:

• ¾ cup hot water
  • ¼ cup tamari sauce
  • 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil
  • 1 tablespoon Marmite
  • 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
  • ½ teaspoon Sambal Oelek (garlic chili paste)
I put a squeeze of freeze lime juice in mine and sprinkled the moist soy curls with smoked maple sugar before putting them in the smoker. They probably spent two hours total in the smoker. I lucked out! I wouldn't change a thing to this recipe.

My process was a quick re-hydrate in hot water first. I then squeezed the water out. Now I put them in the marinade. I only did this because I recalled hearing, might have been Sauce Stache, saying if you don't rinse them first, they tend to have a funky taste to them. So I did it that way. They still soaked up more than enough of that marinade flavour. So having a nice texture, good flavour and real infused wood smoke, I could not ask for a better vegan jerky, imho.

You went all out! Smoked maple sugar sounds amazing!
I always hydrate in water and drain and rinse well, then dry and marinade, but it seems others don't get that off putting, stale taste, I do. Sounds like the 'gluten' taste some others get but I don't

• Agree
Reactions: Veganite
I made soy curls last night too and tried the Filipinno BBQ again from Sweet Simple Vegan (sorry I called it Korean BBQ last time) and tried it their way in a pan instead of the air fryer..... won't do that again - they were good and tasty however it was a lot more work and hovering over the pan etc. I love your recipe @Veganite and will try something similar soon - will sub molasses for the marmite and maple syrup itself in the mix. The air fryer was so easy to use and I took them out part way and basted them with the rest of the marinade. I am one of those that doesn't presoak, the flavours I use for marninating are strong enough to overcome almost anything and I have never noticed any stale taste.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I’m making soy curls right now! :woo:
I’m putting a few in the air fryer and the rest I’m going to do on the stove with the cooking down the juice method.

Louisiana Style soy curls is in the How Not To Die cookbook.
1 cup soy curls
1 & 1/4 veg broth or water
1 Tb salt free Creole seasoning blend
2 Tb tomato paste
2 tsp miso paste
1 large red onion chopped
1 large green bell pepper seeded & chopped
2 celery ribs chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
14.5 drained salt free diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
ground black pepper
savory spice blend
healthy hot sauce

Boil the soy curls, broth, and Creole seasoning. Cover & simmer 5 minutes. Still in tomato paste, miso, onion, bell pepper, celery & garlic. Cover & cook until vegs softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, basil, & the savory spice blend & pepper to tase. Cook uncovered for about 15 minutes to reduce liquid. Remove bay leaves before serving with hot sauce.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Savory Spice Blend
2 Tb nutritional yeast
1 TB onion powder
1 TB dried parsley
1 TB dried basil
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried mustard (mustard powder)
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp celery seeds
Combine all ingredients in spice grinder and then store in a cool dry place.

Healthy Hot Sauce
12 ounces fresh hot chiies (a single type or mixed) stemmed, seeded, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 Tb minced garlic
1/2 to 1 cup apple cider vinegar
Cook all, plus 1/4 cup water, but the vinegar over high heat for about 2 -3 minutes stirring frequently. Lower to med heat and add 1 & 3/4 cups water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until chillies are softened. Remove from heat and bring to room temp.
Blend mixture in food processor. Add 1/2 cup of the vinegar and blend. Add more or not after tasting. Transfer to container and refrigerate.

I’m getting closer! I did not like them air fried at all. Much better in the fry pan cooking in the juices/broth. I didn’t love it but it was good. I have to dilute the broth more next time because it was too salty and I like my salt.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
What soy curl jerky I haven't eaten, I've given away to my friends and family. I made a lot too. Anyhow, I am going to make another massive batch today. I think the only thing I will change is the amount of smoke I give it this time. My first batch was just slightly too strong in smoke. So this one I will only give it a half a pan of wood chips. I used hickory last time. I think I will try apple this time. I am stoked!

Wow!!! Soy curls are my new best friend. They are so versatile, but so delicious!

My jerky is ready and O...M...G! I'm beginning to think you can't mess it up no matter what you do. And not that I wasn't careful, but I went out on a limb this time and decided to try a slightly different recipe, and not that the first batch wasn't amazing too.

So...using the previous recipe as a base, I eliminated the steak spice, replacing that with a fresh aromatic Chinese 5-spice. I used two teaspoons. I thought at first that was too much, as the smell was quite pungent, but it was spot on. I also added some maple syrup, molasses, and a bit of cane sugar. I wanted the 5-spice flavour to have a little sweetness. I am so amazed at the end result. It has just the right amount of sweetness and the right amount of savoury. It's delicious!

I’m making the filipino barbecue. I’m using hoisin instead of oyster sauce because non of my stores have the vegan/vegetarian oyster and I don’t feel like paying a million dollars for it on Amazon. 🤞🏼

I’m using hoisin instead of oyster sauce because non of my stores have the vegan/vegetarian oyster and I don’t feel like paying a million dollars for it on Amazon.
As per my latest gripe. I know how you feel!

Reactions: KLS52
I’m making the filipino barbecue. I’m using hoisin instead of oyster sauce because non of my stores have the vegan/vegetarian oyster and I don’t feel like paying a million dollars for it on Amazon. 🤞🏼
Oyster sauce sounds so disgusting, but apparently vegan oyster is with shitake mushrooms, and maybe ginger?
Vegan Oyster Sauce (Stir Fry Sauce) - Full of Plants
Like vegan worcheshire, there are so many recipes, and the two store bought I've tried are pretty different. I remember hating the anchovy worcheshire (always hated fishy tastes), but the vegan kind is so flavorful and good with so much food.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I mixed up the marinade but decided to wait until tomorrow to cook the soy curls. I had leftovers from yesterday and omg…it’s so much better today! I love it! I’m eating it with sautéed mushrooms, onions and zucchini and a small salad. I’m so excited…I like soy curls! I may even buy more lol.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Holy, holy, holy…guys…I did it! The Filipino barbecue is amazing! I’m so excited. I ordered three more bags of soy curls from Amazon. I had to pay $21 but I don’t care. Lol.

Last edited:
Holy, holy, holy…guys…I did it! The Filipino barbecue is amazing! I’m so excited. I ordered three more bags of soy curls from Amazon. I had to pay $21 but I don’t care. Lol.
I'm so glad you are liking them! That recipe is on my list, which is growing daily, haha. I'm going to make the chik'n salad next and then egg roll in a bowl.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I think I can actually make it less sweet and maybe add a little more heat with chili oil. It doesn’t call for it but I added a little. It definitely needs more. My son was so impressed with it. He said he almost ate the leftovers while I was napping lol.

• Love
I made a super yummy buffalo inspired soy curl appy. It was really easy to put together. I pre-soaked the soy curls in hot water for 10 mins, squeezing out the excess liquid. Now just pan fry them until golden in color. Next I mixed in my buffalo sauce. To make that just melt some vegan butter and mix in some Frank's hot sauce. Toss the fried soy curls in the sauce and serve with your favorite vegan dip and celery sticks. I made a homemade ranch dressing for mine. I could eat a bowl of these every day.

• Love