Soy curls

Lol…I was trying to say guys and it changed it to guts lol. I fixed it but guts is now immortalized in PTree’s quote lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I made the chik'n salad with soy curls from Sweet Simple Vegan. It's so delicious, and I bet it will be even tastier (if that's possible) after being in the fridge for a night. My bag of soy curls had about a cup's worth of small pieces/crumbs at the bottom, so I made taco-seasoned filling out of them. I soaked them first in veggie broth (beef-like flavor), and then I cooked them down in the liquid. I added the seasoning in the last batch of liquid with a little bit of water. I can't believe how tasty it is. I'll be going to visit my parents this weekend for the Memorial Day holiday, and I can't wait for them to try both dishes. I can't imagine them not liking them.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I made the chik'n salad with soy curls from Sweet Simple Vegan. It's so delicious, and I bet it will be even tastier (if that's possible) after being in the fridge for a night. My bag of soy curls had about a cup's worth of small pieces/crumbs at the bottom, so I made taco-seasoned filling out of them. I soaked them first in veggie broth (beef-like flavor), and then I cooked them down in the liquid. I added the seasoning in the last batch of liquid with a little bit of water. I can't believe how tasty it is. I'll be going to visit my parents this weekend for the Memorial Day holiday, and I can't wait for them to try both dishes. I can't imagine them not liking them.

What is the texture like?

So I did a little experiment yesterday with soy curls. I'm always looking for new snack foods. I particularly loved the soy curl jerky. So yesterday I made some Buffalo style soy curls with Franks hot sauce and Miyokos butter. Once I soaked up all the hot sauce and butter in a pan I put them into a dehydrator this time rather than my smoker. The end result was a chewy Buffalo style jerky. I've never tasted anything like it. Unreal! You can taste every element of the flavour, including a nice buttery taste. Next batch I'll add some cracked black pepper. I love soy curls so much!!!

So I did a little experiment yesterday with soy curls.

I was going to post this in the 'what are you craving" thread, but opted for this one. As I mentioned in my post above, I have stumbled onto an amazing snack food. The buffalo soy curl jerky is unlike anything I've ever had. If you like that flavour of buffalo sauce you will love this snack. You must try making this! It is so addictive, which is why I am making more today.

I'm guessing if you were careful, and your oven goes low enough, you could get away without the food dehydrator. You would have to keep a close eye on them in the oven, possibly opening the door a crack, occasionally.. I highly recommend a cheap dehydrator over using an oven anyways. It's a super useful kitchen tool in my humble opinion. I know for most people, like myself, it comes down to available counter space. I just have a cheap one (American Harvest) for under $100. It works incredibly well for what I use it for. I use mine mostly for my fruit trees come fall. I dehydrate plums into prunes like there's no tomorrow. lol

I haven't tried smoking the buffalo style jerky in my smokers yet. It really doesn't need any smoke in my opinion. I might try a small amount in the smoker next time I make my regular soy curl jerky, just to see what it tastes like. It doesn't seem neccesary at this point. This is my new favorite snack. It's just way too addictive.

The reaction I got from everyone I've shared it with so far was more than enough to convince me that if I were younger and more ambitious, I would attempt marketing this snack - it's that tasty, imho. This is a no-brainer to make. Soy curls are very forgiving that way. Anyhow, give it a try if you like buffalo sauce.

You might have to order them from Amazon like others here. They are difficult to find and are not at most food stores.
Finally did it. I bought a three-pack on Amazon. Had them for the first time today in a stir fry. Thought they were pretty good.

I'll have to re-read this thread and figure out what to do next.

Finally did it. I bought a three-pack on Amazon. Had them for the first time today in a stir fry. Thought they were pretty good.

It took me several tries…I wasted the first two bags. The third bag was a hit. So I reordered another three pack and I’m on the second bag from that now.
I think unfortunately for me, I need the barbecue-y taste. I haven’t liked them in just a stir fry with say, bragg’s aminos or just a chick’n base flavor. Me and my darned sweet tooth I think. I’m wondering if some kind of marinara sauce with vegan parm would work. Or maybe a vegan gravy with onions and mushrooms, like I make for the nut roasts. That might help. I’ll have to experiment with a small batch.

Last edited:
Oh man, the list is endless. Personally, I find it kind of hard to screw it up. You first re-hydrate soy curls....and then you cook soy curls. It's that simple, really.

I do find a slightly funky taste to them if you don't soak them in water first, but that really depends on what you are using them for. For example, when I make them into jerky, the real smoke is so powerful a flavour, it would easily mask any funkiness. So it's really up to you and what you use them for and what process you use.

My process is to first soak them in hot water for 10 minutes. I then squeeze out all that liquid and then put them in whatever marinade or stock I'm going to flavour them with. This process removes that funky taste. The next step is to either squeeze out the remaining liquid/marinade or saute in the liquid until it evaporates. Sauteing in the marinade will infuse more flavour into them. You have to have the measurements right for this so you don't have excess liquid leftover in the pan.

I made some ground soy curls into a shepherds pie that was amazingly delicious. Oh, I also made gyros with the ground.

I saw a video of a person sorting their soy curls into size categories, which I now do myself. Long or large soy curls for jerky. Medium soy curls for buffalo jerky, wraps, etc. The smaller ones I put in stir-fries and the crumbs I save for ground meat recipes.

I love soy curls and now you will too!

Oh man, the list is endless. Personally, I find it kind of hard to screw it up. You first re-hydrate soy curls....and then you cook soy curls. It's that simple, really.

I do find a slightly funky taste to them if you don't soak them in water first, but that really depends on what you are using them for. For example, when I make them into jerky, the real smoke is so powerful a flavour, it would easily mask any funkiness. So it's really up to you and what you use them for and what process you use.

My process is to first soak them in hot water for 10 minutes. I then squeeze out all that liquid and then put them in whatever marinade or stock I'm going to flavour them with. This process removes that funky taste. The next step is to either squeeze out the remaining liquid/marinade or saute in the liquid until it evaporates. Sauteing in the marinade will infuse more flavour into them. You have to have the measurements right for this so you don't have excess liquid leftover in the pan.

I made some ground soy curls into a shepherds pie that was amazingly delicious. Oh, I also made gyros with the ground.

I saw a video of a person sorting their soy curls into size categories, which I now do myself. Long or large soy curls for jerky. Medium soy curls for buffalo jerky, wraps, etc. The smaller ones I put in stir-fries and the crumbs I save for ground meat recipes.

I made tacos with the ground pieces. Absolutely delicious! I love that nothing goes to waste with these. I just made Sweet Simple Vegan's soy curls chik'n salad. It's so tasty! I have to stop eating the soy curls after I cook them in the veggie broth and brown them, though. I kept popping some into my mouth while I was chopping them up for the salad. :D

I'm making more soy curl jerky this long Canada Day weekend. I will make both my traditional savoury smokey flavoured and buffalo style jerky. I'm also going to experiment with a new flavour. I'm going to try an Asian 5-spice with a hint of sesame oil. I use a vacuum sealer to store it, so it lasts easily for a couple weeks in the fridge. This is simply the best snack food ever!

100% on soaking in water, then I rinse, then press all the water out--I guess only some people get the 'funky' taste, but when I've soaked in broth it just tastes yucky to me.
I want to make jerky but I know I'll eat too much. Jerky is the exception since it's spicy and baked so long

Reactions: Veganite
Wow, the Asian 5-spice with sesame oil soy curl jerky came out amazing. The flavour is just unbelievable. I will easily mow through a 1/2 lb in no time. It's so tasty that if I even think about it, I have to go get some more. It's like some addictive drug. I'm in big trouble! lol

I didn't make as much of the buffalo jerky this time and I'm regretting it already. The buffalo soy curls are also unbelievably delicious. It's not rocket science people. I find soy curls rather forgiving, actually. Meaning, I have yet to screw up anything I have tried with them so far. The worst thing I did so far was over smoke them, but even that batch was still more than edible.

Aside from the smoked soy curls, all of these recipes can be done in the oven if monitored carefully.

What is a good technique for pressing out the soaking water?

I definitely agree with the majority here that they are much better after pressing out the soaking water.

If I jam them in my tofu press, a lot of soycurl will spill out. I have been squeezing them between two strainers but this is not as effective as I would like to be, and some crumbs still spill out. Maybe I should try squeezing between two plates?

I definitely agree with the majority here that they are much better after pressing out the soaking water.

If I jam them in my tofu press, a lot of soycurl will spill out. I have been squeezing them between two strainers but this is not as effective as I would like to be, and some crumbs still spill out. Maybe I should try squeezing between two plates?
I use a wire sieve and rinse and then use the bottom of the bowl I soak them in to press. Not a colander with holes, but the kind like a window screen.

Reactions: PTree15

I soak them in a ziploc bag and that makes it easy to squeeze them and then just wash the bag.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com