Socks for Winter?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3018
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3018

Hi. I was wondering what your winter socks are made of and I'm especially interested in the socks that you wear when it's getting actually kinda chilly outside: -25 and -30 decrees celsius.
I have a bunch of old woolen socks that I got as a present years back, but those are starting to wear out. I don't own winter boots because those often are made out of leather and wool, so of course I will not buy those. The socks are the only thing keeping my feet warm (I also own basic shoes and rubber boots but those are pretty useless when it comes down to staying warm). I often times get a lot of snow in my shoes, luckily the wool stays somewhat warm even when it gets wet.
BUT, I can't buy woolen socks and I will not accept gifts that have wool in them anymore.
I'm spending a lot of time outside every day and keeping warm is sometimes challenging.
I'd really appreciate any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Reactions: 1956 and shyvas
Thank you. I'll try those out when my old socks get beyond repair. :)
Hi. I was wondering what your winter socks are made of and I'm especially interested in the socks that you wear when it's getting actually kinda chilly outside: -25 and -30 decrees celsius.
I have a bunch of old woolen socks that I got as a present years back, but those are starting to wear out. I don't own winter boots because those often are made out of leather and wool, so of course I will not buy those. The socks are the only thing keeping my feet warm (I also own basic shoes and rubber boots but those are pretty useless when it comes down to staying warm). I often times get a lot of snow in my shoes, luckily the wool stays somewhat warm even when it gets wet.
BUT, I can't buy woolen socks and I will not accept gifts that have wool in them anymore.
I'm spending a lot of time outside every day and keeping warm is sometimes challenging.
I'd really appreciate any advice.
That is Very cold @StrangeOtter!!
Thermal socks and fleece socks are what I wear too...sometimes several layers...
As I often walk on the beach I almost live in my Rubber boots - or Wellies as we call them - layered socks keep my feet warm even walking in the sea...my feet are sometimes a bit wet afterwards because of sweating in the boots...might not be good for walking in the snow, but at least there won’t be snow in your shoes...
Maybe try looking online for outdoor boots made out of synthetic materials...
Hope that you are able to stay warm!

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
That is Very cold @StrangeOtter!!
Thermal socks and fleece socks are what I wear too...sometimes several layers...
As I often walk on the beach I almost live in my Rubber boots - or Wellies as we call them - layered socks keep my feet warm even walking in the sea...my feet are sometimes a bit wet afterwards because of sweating in the boots...might not be good for walking in the snow, but at least there won’t be snow in your shoes...
Maybe try looking online for outdoor boots made out of synthetic materials...
Hope that you are able to stay warm!
Thank you for your caring and kind words. And also, for the advice.
Wellies. That word is delightful. Haven't heard that before.

Reactions: 1956 and shyvas
fleece socks for me too.

but I don't agree with your premise of not buying winter boots because they are not vegan.
Even ten years ago I found vegan winter boots. and today there are even more choices.
Some of them are not 100% vegan but most shoes aren't. I think its easy to live with a a little leather accent or tag.

You should do a little research. I'm sure you will find something.

Here is a place to start

Thank you for your caring and kind words. And also, for the advice.
Wellies. That word is delightful. Haven't heard that before.
Glad that you enjoyed that!
Since your level of English is So good as a second language I thought that you would like to add to your vocabulary...
Wellies is short for Wellington boots - which were named after someone who I know nothing about!

• Friendly
fleece socks for me too.

but I don't agree with your premise of not buying winter boots because they are not vegan.
Even ten years ago I found vegan winter boots. and today there are even more choices.
Some of them are not 100% vegan but most shoes aren't. I think its easy to live with a a little leather accent or tag.

Here is a place to start

Must disagree with you on that @Lou about letting slide a “little“ bit of leather...some of us just don’t want to have any leather... I do realise that we don’t know what kind of glue was used etc... - unless they are labelled Vegan -so maybe it is not Vegan but, I won’t buy even a bit of leather...

Glad that you enjoyed that!
Since your level of English is So good as a second language I thought that you would like to add to your vocabulary...
Wellies is short for Wellington boots - which were named after someone who I know nothing about!
Thank you. Just some time ago I was anguished about my poor grammar. But I'm glad someone appreciates my efforts.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1956
fleece socks for me too.

Here is a place to start

There probably are some vegan winter boots, but I always fall into despair when I have to get new clothes and am not very motivated to make research. Or anything. But maybe I will now. Thank you for your help.
I don't know. The leather accents and tags bother me quite a bit. I try not to think about the glue.

There probably are some vegan winter boots, but I always fall into despair when I have to get new clothes and am not very motivated to make research. Or anything. But maybe I will now. Thank you for your help.
I don't know. The leather accents and tags bother me quite a bit. I try not to think about the glue.

My experience with running shoes has informed some of my decision making on being vegan in general.

Shoes that are 100% vegan will cost twice as much as a shoe that is not billed as vegan and is 98% vegan.
I about diminishing returns. Is that 2% worth $100.

Although the vegan shoes made by New Balance are made in America by union workers. The less expensive shoes are probably made by Vietnamese children. That bothers me a lot more than the glues, tags and accents.

check some of these out

• Informative
My experience with running shoes has informed some of my decision making on being vegan in general.

Shoes that are 100% vegan will cost twice as much as a shoe that is not billed as vegan and is 98% vegan.
I about diminishing returns. Is that 2% worth $100.

Although the vegan shoes made by New Balance are made in America by union workers. The less expensive shoes are probably made by Vietnamese children. That bothers me a lot more than the glues, tags and accents.

check some of these out
That's exactly why I despair when I have to get new clothes. There seem to be no good solution. Everything is unethical, expensive and wasteful.
I used to get all of the clothes that I had to buy from thrift stores. But lately haven't been able to find good quality shoes from there. Maybe I'm just too picky.
I couldn't get to that site. But I checked the other link that you had previously sent and I really liked the Alpine Xero shoes. I don't know how ethical those would be. But seems really comfy.

• Friendly
I have some Xero sandals and I do not like them. I think they are made in Vietnam too. The main thing about this company is that they are into lightweight minimalist shoes. Not sure those are pluses in the winter boot department.

The link that you can't open recommends several brands. However it warns that most of these brands aren't vegan - they all make shoes that are. Here are the ones that they listed. but you should keep googling around. it seems like there are lots of options. Happy Hunting! err. Happy Gathering!

I have some Xero sandals and I do not like them. I think they are made in Vietnam too. The main thing about this company is that they are into lightweight minimalist shoes. Not sure those are pluses in the winter boot department.

The link that you can't open recommends several brands. However it warns that most of these brands aren't vegan - they all make shoes that are. Here are the ones that they listed. but you should keep googling around. it seems like there are lots of options. Happy Hunting! err. Happy Gathering!

Thank you.

fleece socks for me too.

Here is a place to start

I just bought a pair of vegan boots myself, but I'm in the UK and I got them from "Vegetarian Shoes" a company based in Brighton, England. The quality of their footwear is outstanding, although quite expensive. But, as they say, you get what you pay for!

Back in the day all we ever had were Doc Martens. I think they are a UK company.
It almost was joke -worthy. How can you tell if someone is vegan?
he is wearing Doc Martens.

Oh Wow, yes, but you have to be rich to afford vegan Doc Marten's. Lol.

• Friendly