Skandinavia

In the news today there's a story about a 10 year old boy who got up early, put his 18 month old sister in the car and drove 15 km toward his grandma's house, before they ended up in a ditch. He then managed to wave down a snow plow truck, and explained to the driver he was a dwarf, hence his small stature.

Meanwhile, at around 6 a.m. his parents had woken up, thought the children had been kidnapped, and called the police.

Oh my...you have to wonder where kids get these crazy ideas from!

Wow....

There's a series in the UK on scandinavia at the moment, called "scandimania" on channel 4. It's making interesting watching, I wonder how accurate it is (I've never been to a Scandinavian country). From the first two episodes I've watched, the thing I took away most of all, was the idea that in Denmark and Sweden people aim to have "just enough" and to fit in... which is a big contrast to the British (and many other countries) attitude of trying to stand out, aim high and be the best at something. It seems like a healthier/happier idea, although I wonder how people who do stand out fit into that idea.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the series.

Wow....

There's a series in the UK on scandinavia at the moment, called "scandimania" on channel 4. It's making interesting watching, I wonder how accurate it is (I've never been to a Scandinavian country). From the first two episodes I've watched, the thing I took away most of all, was the idea that in Denmark and Sweden people aim to have "just enough" and to fit in... which is a big contrast to the British (and many other countries) attitude of trying to stand out, aim high and be the best at something. It seems like a healthier/happier idea, although I wonder how people who do stand out fit into that idea.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the series.
I hadn't watched the previous episodes, but I did watch the one tonight, which was about Norway. Predictably, it was a lot about eating animals, especially since it was a) Norway and b) the host was Eew Funny Wittyface. We had recorded it, so used the fast forward button on those parts. It wasn't very informative, mostly just perpetuating the stereotypical image of the happy country that somehow does everything right, although to his credit he did come up with a heretical question regarding the completely oil-dependent economy. Also touched on the 2011 massacre, but again not diving very deep into the matter. Of course, it wasn't meant to be that kind of programme anyway. Overall, I would have preferred more focus on nature & wildlife, less focus on oil, eating fish and driving though tunnels.

Reactions: SummerRain
I am going to Southern Sweden, Malmo and Copenhagen in Denmark at the beginning of March. Have just checked out www.happycow.net and am totally over-joyed to learn that there seem to be loads of vegan eating places there. It makes it really exciting to try new foods in other countries!

Reactions: Second Summer
I am going to Southern Sweden, Malmo and Copenhagen in Denmark at the beginning of March. Have just checked out www.happycow.net and am totally over-joyed to learn that there seem to be loads of vegan eating places there. It makes it really exciting to try new foods in other countries!
Those are probably some of the more vegan-friendly parts of Scandinavia. I visited Copenhagen as a vegetarian wanna-be vegan many years ago, and it was pretty decent, at least by the standards I was used to at the time (around 14 years ago). I didn't get to spend a lot of time there, though. I think I only went to a restaurant inside Christiania, the autonomous neighbourhood with the marijuana trade. (Which I must point out I had no interest in - I was there for the food and general atmosphere only.)

Reactions: Trinity
The latest news from Norway is that last night the church bells in the Oslo Church for the Deaf started chiming at "some unchristian hour". After complaints from neighbours, the police had to deal with the matter.

I visited Copenhagen as a vegetarian wanna-be vegan many years ago, and it was pretty decent, at least by the standards I was used to at the time (around 14 years ago). I didn't get to spend a lot of time there, though. I think I only went to a restaurant inside Christiania, the autonomous neighbourhood with the marijuana trade. (Which I must point out I had no interest in - I was there for the food and general atmosphere only.)

I loved Malmo, just over the border in Sweden, but sadly all I could smell in Copenhagen was the smell of cooking bacon. Felt quite ill! I didn't make it to Christiana, although it sounds as if it would have worked a treat for nice food.

I loved Malmo, just over the border in Sweden, but sadly all I could smell in Copenhagen was the smell of cooking bacon. Felt quite ill! I didn't make it to Christiana, although it sounds as if it would have worked a treat for nice food.
You should write some more about your trip! :) Did you have time to look around, or was it more of a business trip?

You should write some more about your trip! :) Did you have time to look around, or was it more of a business trip?

I was actually working so not loads to report, although I had time to check out a few tasty eating places and health food stores (although that's about it).

I'd really recommend Kao's for anyone visiting... It's a laid back all vegan restaurant where we totally vegged out on the most delicious main course and then enjoyed raw lemon cheeze cake and raw chocolate & blue berry cheeze cake for dessert too. Absolutely amazing.

I also loved Govinda's, which is a vegetarian Hare Krishna place. It left me craving their gluten free celeriac pakoras for weeks! Sweden is expensive, so this was a welcomed haven, serving inexpensive, really tasty Indian food.

There are several great health food stores in Malmo, which came in really handy for us during our travels as we stocked up on lunch time goodies.

I'd love to explore Sweden more - am really impressed at the amount of veggie stuff going on in Malmo.

This past weekend there was a vegetarian festival in Oslo. The program included talks, cooking courses, and speed dating(!). Also lots of stalls and food. This is the 5th year of the festival.

Some pictures here:
http://oslovegetarfestival.no/bilder
and here:
http://oslovegetarfestival.no/presse

On the last picture in that last link, you can see the exact kind of sneakers I wear - it's the pair in the foreground (in brown and red) :)

I like the speed dating thing. Being veg*an in a meat-eating world can feel pretty lonely. Even if the veg*ans who take part don't establish any intimate relationships with each other, it's nice to learn a little something about like-minded people in a positive environment. :yes:

And it's nice going to a festival and knowing you can eat everything there. :D (Much like going to a veg*an restaurant and knowing you can order anything on the menu.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
I couldn't go this year, as I worked. But was a LOT of people last year. And a lot of great food to eat.

Wonder how the speed dating went! :D

tumblr_n5k55aIzY41so65nwo4_1280.jpg

Reactions: Second Summer