Skandinavia

An update on the fox speech video: This became really popular somehow, and recently they were invited to Ellen Degeneres talk-show over in the US. Here's a video of some of what transpired ...

So much great music comes out of the Scandinavian countries. One of my favourites is Ane Brun who is Norwegian but based in Sweden. She records mostly in English but here she is performing in Norwegian.

Ane Brun - Du gråter så store tåra (Skavlan, Dec. 2, 2011)

There is an English version of this song on the special edition of her wonderful album It All Starts With One which came out in 2011.

Last edited:
Reactions: Second Summer
^ That was pretty nice. Come to think of it, I haven't really listened to any of her songs before. And I didn't realise she's from the neighbouring town to my home town - I could tell by her dialect. (The only dialect in Norway where the personal pronoun is "i" like in English, though pronounced like an English "e".)

Giant mirrors bring winter sun to Norwegian village for the first time in its history
By Agence France-Presse
Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:13 EDT

Residents of a remote village nestled in a steep-sided valley in southern Norway are about to enjoy winter sunlight for the first time ever thanks to giant mirrors.

The mountains that surround the village of Rjukan are far from Himalayan, but they are high enough to deprive its 3,500 inhabitants of direct sunlight for six months a year.

That was before a century-old idea, as old as Rjukan itself, was brought to life: to install mirrors on a 400-metre (437-yard) high peak to deflect sunrays towards the central square.

“The idea was a little crazy, but madness is our middle name,” said Oeystein Haugan, a local project coordinator.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/...an-village-for-the-first-time-in-its-history/

Rates of Seasonal Affective Disorder in that part of the world must be seriously off the charts. :woo:

But ain't technology wonderful? :p

"Slow TV go Amerika" ...

NRK head of format development Ole Hedemann said: "First we saw a seven-hour train ride, then a five-day live cruise, 18 hours of live salmon fishing and after that 12 hours of live wood burning. Now, this autumn we are about to show live knitting. Slow TV is a brave idea. The concept behind it is unique and hypnotic, and it has a way of mesmerizing viewers. After its massive success in Norway, we are really excited to see LMNO Productions remake a U..S version.”
Full article: LMNO Productions Takes U.S. Remake Rights to Norway's Slow TV Format (Hollywood Reporter, 5. Nov. 2013)

I wonder how this will translate to US TV. Maybe 14 hours waiting in line to get tickets for the next Lady Gaga or whatever? :p

That is crazy insane! And totally not safe!

Looks wonderful. But you will never catch me standing on a boulder wedged between a mountain thousands of feet high! :eek::

1389205768349_581.jpg