Simple rice and bean dish

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This is my own take on rice and beans. Please feel free to spice it up any way you want. This is my fast go-to meal. It's easy to use leftovers in stuffed bell peppers or taco/burritos.

Today I used black (forbidden) rice, with pinto beans. I have enough for several meals with the amounts used in the recipe. Even for two people, you would still have plenty of leftovers. If you're feeding your family, just double-up on the ingredients.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp oil (optional, for sautéing the onions)
  • 1 x Large yellow or white onion (finely diced)
  • 3-4 x Cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 1 x can of beans (Just about any kind of beans will work for this)
  • 1 x cup of rice (Again, just about any kind of rice will work)
  • 2 x fresh ears of corn (either slice off the niblets or use frozen corn)
Seasonings:
  • 1 x tablespoon of chili powder
  • 1 x teaspoon of cumin
  • 1 x teaspoon of powdered oregano
  • ½ - 1 tsp chipotle powder (More or less can be used, depending on heat tolerance and personal taste)
  • Salt to taste

Instructions:

Be sure to rinse your beans well. Also, it is best to rinse and/or soak your rice too.

1/ Start rice cooking, according to instructions

2/ Sauté your onions until slightly browned, being careful not to burn them. I prefer water sautéing, adding a bit of water at a time, as needed

3/ When your onions are almost done, add your minced garlic and seasonings with a little more water, and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes

4/ Now add the corn niblets and beans, mixing together thoroughly. (If using fresh corn, I simply add the niblets to the hot onion/spice mixture, cooking for another minute, then cover the pan with a lid for a few minutes, but off the heat. The heat left in the pan will be enough to cook the corn adequately)

5/ Now, assuming your rice is ready, add the rice to the mixture, and stir until everything is combined

I sometimes add some fresh peeled roma tomatoes (blanched & chopped) in the mixture, but it is not necessary.You can also add some salsa or avocado on top, when serving. You can do whatever you want. These are simply suggestions.

Serve hot and enjoy!

Today I used Jasmine rice with black beans. This recipe is totally flexible. You can try peas instead of corn niblets. Make it hot, or not, and use whatever combination of rice and beans you like. This recipe is simply a guideline. I highly encourage everyone that tries it to make it their own way, putting your own twist on it. The pineapple was my own twist, but it worked amazingly well. The heat and sweet complimented each other. Both of these recipes tasted amazing to me, and are very satiating. I hope you enjoy!

Version two, Rice and Beans with Curry:

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp oil (optional, for sautéing the onions)
  • 1 x Large yellow or white onion (finely diced)
  • 3-4 x Cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 1 x can of beans (Just about any kind of beans will work for this)
  • 1 x cup of rice (Again, just about any kind of rice will work)
  • 2 x fresh ears of corn (either slice off the niblets or use frozen corn)
  • 1 x 14 oz tin of pineapple tidbits (optional, but trust me, it works)
Seasonings:
  • 1 x tablespoon of curry powder
  • 1 x tablespoon of green chili paste
  • 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp of turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp of cayenne (optional)
  • salt to taste
Instructions:

Be sure to rinse your beans well. Also, it is best to rinse and/or soak your rice too.

1/ Start rice cooking, according to instructions

2/ Sauté your onions until slightly browned, being careful not to burn them. I prefer water sautéing, adding a bit of water at a time, as needed

3/ When your onions are almost done, add your minced garlic and seasonings with a little more water, and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, giving the spices a bit of time to toast

4/ Now add the corn niblets, beans, and pineapple, mixing together thoroughly. (If using fresh corn, I simply add the niblets to the hot onion/spice mixture, cooking for another minute, then cover the pan with a lid for a few minutes, but off the heat. The heat left in the pan will be enough to cook the corn adequately)

5/ Now, assuming your rice is ready, add the rice to the mixture, and stir until everything is combined

Re-heat, if necessary, and serve hot.

Enjoy!