Shortcut for soaking soybeans for tofu

phlubup

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hi, I make my own tofu from scratch, and was wondering if anyone knows of a shortcut for soaking the soybeans for 12 hours prior to using them. I've tried some generic bean tips with the Instant Pot, but they didn't work. I find myself making chickpea "tofu" if I need something of that general texture and don't have any beans soaked or soy milk handy.

Hi, I make my own tofu from scratch, and was wondering if anyone knows of a shortcut for soaking the soybeans for 12 hours prior to using them. I've tried some generic bean tips with the Instant Pot, but they didn't work. I find myself making chickpea "tofu" if I need something of that general texture and don't have any beans soaked or soy milk handy.
As much as i loved homemade tofu I've only done 3 times! Last couple I used my SoyaJoy soy milk machine. I thought that was pretty easy, and didn't have to soak the beans. First quart poured into a pot, then a second batch, and by the time the second batch was poured with the first it was about the right temp to add coagulant. It wasn't hard, simply time consuming
I really thought I'd do it again, but it's been a couple years!
I don't even make soy milk anymore as I buy Trader Joes to make soy yogurt, which I make about weekly. I could never get a good batch with homemade milk

As much as i loved homemade tofu I've only done 3 times! Last couple I used my SoyaJoy soy milk machine. I thought that was pretty easy, and didn't have to soak the beans. First quart poured into a pot, then a second batch, and by the time the second batch was poured with the first it was about the right temp to add coagulant. It wasn't hard, simply time consuming
I really thought I'd do it again, but it's been a couple years!
I don't even make soy milk anymore as I buy Trader Joes to make soy yogurt, which I make about weekly. I could never get a good batch with homemade milk
I make it a couple-three times a week, and use a slow-masticating juicer, the output of which goes straight into the Instant Pot stainless steel inner pot, then 5 minutes pressured, 25 minutes natural release, and stir in the coagulant, which these days is epsom salt. It's easy, I just don't like the fact that if I don't have any beans soaked, I'm 12 hours away from making the tofu.

I make it a couple-three times a week, and use a slow-masticating juicer, the output of which goes straight into the Instant Pot stainless steel inner pot, then 5 minutes pressured, 25 minutes natural release, and stir in the coagulant, which these days is epsom salt. It's easy, I just don't like the fact that if I don't have any beans soaked, I'm 12 hours away from making the tofu.
Ohhh...nice! So you're putting the raw soaked beans through the juice leaving the raw okara?
What if you soaked a lot of soy beans and froze them, in portions?

Ohhh...nice! So you're putting the raw soaked beans through the juice leaving the raw okara?
What if you soaked a lot of soy beans and froze them, in portions?
Exactly right, the raw okara goes out the "waste chute" of the juicer, and I also have a fine-mesh strainer from a nut-milk pitcher sitting on a tall trivet in the Instant Pot liner, so that there's nothing to strain out prior to pressure-cooking the raw milk prior to coagulation.

I haven't tried freezing the soaked beans, but that seems like it could work! I'm also hoping someone has cracked the secret via Instant Pot or something else to get them to "soaked" condition in an hour or something.

1616893106449.png

Exactly right, the raw okara goes out the "waste chute" of the juicer, and I also have a fine-mesh strainer from a nut-milk pitcher sitting on a tall trivet in the Instant Pot liner, so that there's nothing to strain out prior to pressure-cooking the raw milk prior to coagulation.

I haven't tried freezing the soaked beans, but that seems like it could work! I'm also hoping someone has cracked the secret via Instant Pot or something else to get them to "soaked" condition in an hour or something.

View attachment 24033
Oh yeah. I don't know the quickest way to get the soaked consistency, but I have found that just 3 minutes pressure and an hour before opening the pot is enough to add veggies and set for 4 min so they don't get all mushy, and the beans are just right.
I bet just a minute of pressure and a normal npr for 1 part bean to 2 parts water would be a soaked consistency. Try it and report! Or maybe I'll do that tomorrow

Oh yeah. I don't know the quickest way to get the soaked consistency, but I have found that just 3 minutes pressure and an hour before opening the pot is enough to add veggies and set for 4 min so they don't get all mushy, and the beans are just right.
I bet just a minute of pressure and a normal npr for 1 part bean to 2 parts water would be a soaked consistency. Try it and report! Or maybe I'll do that tomorrow
That definitely works on normal beans for eating, but it doesn't seem to work for getting the soybeans to yield soy milk that yields tofu. Not entirely sure why that is, but it seems like I'm missing some step in my quest for a shortcut.