I need suggestions for packable snacks and meals for work

Sweet potatoes are the best!!! love 'em - microwaved or instant pot'ed or baked or baked in fry format. So many nutrients!!

Sweet potatoes can't be eaten straight from the garden though, no? they have to cure first I think.

Emma JC

Sweet potatoes are the best!!! love 'em - microwaved or instant pot'ed or baked or baked in fry format. So many nutrients!!

Sweet potatoes can't be eaten straight from the garden though, no? they have to cure first I think.

Emma JC

I've never eaten them straight from the garden......we wash and dry them then store them in the basement. I don't think it's harmful to eat them right out of the garden, we just haven't done it. I think they get sweeter as they cure.

For work lunches, I suggest things like wraps, summer rolls, burritos, sandwiches, salads, chilies/stews, rice & beans, quinoa and other grain-like salads that can be eaten cold. I really love roasted veggies. They're easy to cook the previous evening and taste great the next day.

What I suggest is making something on your Sunday evening that will last a few days, like a curry or chili. Then when that runs out, go with a quick wrap or sandwich. Even a salad comes together pretty fast. As long as you have ingredients to make these things, all you need is 10-15 minutes in your early evening to prepare.

As for snacks, I tend to lean towards some in season fruits. I also find fruits like apples and bananas convenient as they are easy to grab on the run and store easily in a backpack. Chunked watermelon is a refreshing summertime snack at work. It's easy to prep melon in advance too.

Today is my first day going to work with no animal products in my breakfast, lunch and snacks box. (I eat most of my meals at work - just a snack and some wine when I get home). I try to eat every hour or so, so lots of small meals.
1) 1/4 oatmeal in 1/2 c water to be microwaved
2) 1/2 avocado with lime
3) 1/3C chia seed pudding with blueberries and 4 walnuts.
4) Smoothie made with frozen fruit and berries, spinach, and the failed yogurt I tried to make with coconut oil from a carton. It smells like yogurt, it's just really thin.
5) taco salad (with barley as the meat) fat free
6) 3T hummus (homemade, low on the tihini, no oil added)
7) orange
8) banana

Woo hoo

I did it! Not only did I do it.....but I didn't eat the hummus, the orange, or the banana because I was full. I NEVER would have got full on 700 calories before. Honestly full and satisfied. I can not believe this. Now I have 500 calories for wine and ..... hmmmmmm ...... whatever I want!

AND - when I got home, my husband (a major meat and potatoes man) was chowing down on vegan food. and truly enjoying it. He'd figured out that if you dip a chip in hummus then in salsa it's better than cheeze whiz. I know he'll never become vegan or even vegetarian - but having all this good food around just naturally leads him to eat it. When he's eating vegan food he's not eating animal products.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
making a pretty good veggie burger is easy
I've watched hundreds of tutorials
online but nothing beats this simple
clear to the cut video here.... https://al.ly/g8wtb3

Oh, i just saw this in your "What I had for lunch" thread.
Again it's good stuff and I like it. but ought to be in the recipes section. we even have a section for YouTube recipes.

Reactions: Emma JC
Here's my meal plan for week #2 of being vegan at work. I'll pack and eat the same things every day. I eat a lot of small meals/snacks and try to eat 1200 calories a day with 900-1000 eaten at work.

Breakfast:
1/4 C oatmeal cooked in 1/2 c water - 80 calories
1/2 avocado - about 100 calories

Snack:
1 T peanut butter and 1/2 banana - 150 calories

Snack:
Protein smoothie with fruit and spinach - 200 calories

Lunch:
1C barley "taco salad" (making it again this week) 200 calories

Snack: 1/2 cup pea soup 100 calories
Snack: 1/2 banana 50 calories

I'll pack an orange and some cherry tomatoes in case of emergency cravings. I wonder if it's time to start taking a B12 supplement.

I can't remember if you said, so instead of reading all the previous threads, I'm going to be lazy and just ask.

Is there are a good reason you are limiting yourself to 1200 calories. That is even on the low side for a weight loss diet. And unless you are tiny and sessile, 1200 a day is not really sustainable.

What about dinner?

If you add 2 - 3 glasses of soy milk or some other kind of fortified food to your daily meal plan you can get your B12 from that.
It's probably not urgent that you start supplementing B12 but why wait?

Also when you get a few minutes plug this into CronOmeter. And let us know the results.

I can't remember if you said, so instead of reading all the previous threads, I'm going to be lazy and just ask.

Is there are a good reason you are limiting yourself to 1200 calories. That is even on the low side for a weight loss diet. And unless you are tiny and sessile, 1200 a day is not really sustainable.

What about dinner?

If you add 2 - 3 glasses of soy milk or some other kind of fortified food to your daily meal plan you can get your B12 from that.
It's probably not urgent that you start supplementing B12 but why wait?

Also when you get a few minutes plug this into CronOmeter. And let us know the results.

I'm still on a weight loss plan. I lost 45 lbs before going vegan and I'm within my healthy weight range now, with 30% body fat. I would like to lose another 10 or 20 and get my body fat % down. I'm trying to get enough protein because I do work out. When I stick to 1200 cals a day I lose about 1 lb a week. Most days , I end up with about 1500 calories because I just can not give up the darn wine before bed! Just changing to a vegan diet and keeping the calories the same has helped the weight to start coming off again - I'd plateaud for several months.

For dinner, I'm usually a little complacent. A handful of something sweet. I usually plan to eat a 200 calorie salad for dinner, but half the time the salad doesn't get eaten...

I didn't know soy milk had B12. I wonder if my almond milk is fortified with B12 - I'll go look. I'm being treated for breast cancer (all done with all the surgeries, just taking a hormone blocking pill now) and some people think soy is bad for people with estrogen receptive breast cancer. I'm not sure if it is or not.

What is a CronOmeter?

I'm still on a weight loss plan. I lost 45 lbs before going vegan and I'm within my healthy weight range now, with 30% body fat. I would like to lose another 10 or 20 and get my body fat % down. I'm trying to get enough protein because I do work out. When I stick to 1200 cals a day I lose about 1 lb a week. Most days , I end up with about 1500 calories because I just can not give up the darn wine before bed! Just changing to a vegan diet and keeping the calories the same has helped the weight to start coming off again - I'd plateaud for several months.

For dinner, I'm usually a little complacent. A handful of something sweet. I usually plan to eat a 200 calorie salad for dinner, but half the time the salad doesn't get eaten...

I didn't know soy milk had B12. I wonder if my almond milk is fortified with B12 - I'll go look. I'm being treated for breast cancer (all done with all the surgeries, just taking a hormone blocking pill now) and some people think soy is bad for people with estrogen receptive breast cancer. I'm not sure if it is or not.

What is a CronOmeter?

Oh, that sounds like you are doing great. Although 1200 calories is sort of low, losing 1 pound a week is a really healthy rate.

Soy milk and all the other plant milks do not have naturally occurring B12. but many brands fortify the milk with good things. Calcium and Vitamin D cause real milk has those things. B12 cause vegans drink B12.

We have a great thread (or more) on B12. But the best info is from Dr. Gregar's video on B12. Its in one of the treads or just look in youtube. What I learned from that is that our B12 receptor is sort of "narrow" and only some B12 can get thru it at one time. then it takes several hours for it to clear. Before it clears it is only about 1% efficient. Only about 30 - 50% can get thru at once. So taking 33% about three times a day, preferably with food is (IMHO) the best bet. Or 50% twice a day and add a multi which has some more before bed. Most of the plant milks have at least 50%.

Sublingual B12 may be a good workaround. Not sure if there is any research on that. but if you do rely on a pill that you swallow supplement you want one that has 10000%. or you could do some math and get some from food and some from supplements. But there is no downside to taking too much B12 unless you smoke tobacco.

The soy and Breast cancer landscape is complex and confusing. I have not bothered to navigate this country being that I don't personally have a stake in it. And yes some studies have shown a link with soy and breast cancer. But there have been even more studies that show no correlation or even that soy might be a breast cancer fighter. Best bet is to talk to an oncologist. they should be up on the latest research. I'll put a link in the bottom of one of the better, newest, and easiest to understand articles.

Oh! and I would be happy to introduce you to CronOmeter.

Every week someone writes to the forum and has some screwy health problem that they think is diet related. As a rule we always tell them to talk to their doctor. and the next thing is that we refer them to CronOmeter. I'm going to link a little CronOmeter video on the bottom. Its part advertisement and part tutorial. It is only one aspect of CronOmeter. they have other tutorial videos, too. but you will very quickly get the idea.

Oh, no. the little CronOmeter video has been taken down. This may have resulted from the refresh they gave the website and especially the app earlier this year. In looking for it I also discovered they have a lot of new tutorials. (like a lot more). YouTube users have jumped into the fray and created their own introduction videos. But they are all longer than 5 minutes and I didn't watch any of them. So maybe just try the program yourself and if you do run into any problems just find the right tutorial.

One last thing, you don't need the Gold Version. But if you like tracking nutrition on your phone you can get it. The Gold comes with the app and some other features.

I just learned this fun fact: CRON stands for Calorie Restriction (on) Optimal Nutrition

Reactions: Mom2vegan
Oh, that sounds like you are doing great. Although 1200 calories is sort of low, losing 1 pound a week is a really healthy rate.

Soy milk and all the other plant milks do not have naturally occurring B12. but many brands fortify the milk with good things. Calcium and Vitamin D cause real milk has those things. B12 cause vegans drink B12.

We have a great thread (or more) on B12. But the best info is from Dr. Gregar's video on B12. Its in one of the treads or just look in youtube. What I learned from that is that our B12 receptor is sort of "narrow" and only some B12 can get thru it at one time. then it takes several hours for it to clear. Before it clears it is only about 1% efficient. Only about 30 - 50% can get thru at once. So taking 33% about three times a day, preferably with food is (IMHO) the best bet. Or 50% twice a day and add a multi which has some more before bed. Most of the plant milks have at least 50%.

Sublingual B12 may be a good workaround. Not sure if there is any research on that. but if you do rely on a pill that you swallow supplement you want one that has 10000%. or you could do some math and get some from food and some from supplements. But there is no downside to taking too much B12 unless you smoke tobacco.

The soy and Breast cancer landscape is complex and confusing. I have not bothered to navigate this country being that I don't personally have a stake in it. And yes some studies have shown a link with soy and breast cancer. But there have been even more studies that show no correlation or even that soy might be a breast cancer fighter. Best bet is to talk to an oncologist. they should be up on the latest research. I'll put a link in the bottom of one of the better, newest, and easiest to understand articles.

Oh! and I would be happy to introduce you to CronOmeter.

Every week someone writes to the forum and has some screwy health problem that they think is diet related. As a rule we always tell them to talk to their doctor. and the next thing is that we refer them to CronOmeter. I'm going to link a little CronOmeter video on the bottom. Its part advertisement and part tutorial. It is only one aspect of CronOmeter. they have other tutorial videos, too. but you will very quickly get the idea.

Oh, no. the little CronOmeter video has been taken down. This may have resulted from the refresh they gave the website and especially the app earlier this year. In looking for it I also discovered they have a lot of new tutorials. (like a lot more). YouTube users have jumped into the fray and created their own introduction videos. But they are all longer than 5 minutes and I didn't watch any of them. So maybe just try the program yourself and if you do run into any problems just find the right tutorial.

One last thing, you don't need the Gold Version. But if you like tracking nutrition on your phone you can get it. The Gold comes with the app and some other features.

I just learned this fun fact: CRON stands for Calorie Restriction (on) Optimal Nutrition

Oh - so it's an app. I'll get it!

I feel like I'm getting a lot more nutrients per calorie since going vegan but it could be just wishful thinking. I know I'm getting less protein, and I'll just have to watch and see what kind of differences the changes make. I did the 3Dfit thing at the gym yesterday - they do a total body scan, calculate your % body fat and lean muscle mass etc. I'll repeat it in a couple of weeks or a month and see how it goes. I never did it before I went vegan though so I won't be able to compare.

I looked at my Silk and it's not fortified with B12. Thanks for all the good info.

Yeah - on the soy and breast cancer thing I just don't know who to listen to. It could go either way.

You have a lot of great nutritional information.

I love this forum - it's very friendly.

Reactions: Lou
@Mom2vegan
Silk isn't fortified? Those guys are starting to **** me off. I have Trader Joe's in my frig and .... it has 50%.

To get the CronOmeter app you have to be a "Gold" member and that has a pretty steep price. The regular version is pretty good and i just use that. It is probably not something you would use every day. Go with the standard version for now and then if you do use it every day the Gold version is probably worth it.

OMG thank you for Cronometer! Cronometer says I'm way low on protein and fat. It was showing I was low on several vitamins and minerals so I used it to help figure out which supplements to take, and ordered what I needed on Amazaon. IDK what I'm going to do about the protein and fat, though, if I want to continue to lose weight.....

It looks like Silk is fortified with calcium, at least - 1 serving is 50% daily calcium

Last edited:
OMG thank you for Cronometer! Cronometer says I'm way low on protein and fat. It was showing I was low on several vitamins and minerals so I used it to help figure out which supplements to take, and ordered what I needed on Amazaon. IDK what I'm going to do about the protein and fat, though, if I want to continue to lose weight.....

It looks like Silk is fortified with calcium, at least - 1 serving is 50% daily calcium

Oh, great.
but a couple of words of warning.
CronOmeter CAN underestimate things. especially the less important vitamins and minerals. You can click on each food and see what it contains. sometimes things will be blank. And that doesn't always mean that it doesn't contain any. It might just be that CronOmeter is relying on a database that doesn't report on that. Sometimes there is an obvious workaround like substituting a different brand name.

For instance, most plant foods don't list Iodine - it's too variable.

It seems to do a really good job with whole plant foods. And not such a good job with small brands of processed foods.

I'm also pretty sure that it overestimates the RDA of protein. You might calculate your protein requirements yourself and see if they match. then you can take their result with a grain of salt or you can go into the profile and change your RDA.

But that protein and fat issue could be real. 1200 calories is pretty restrictive so it makes sense that you would be low in some areas.

Another thing that I figured out is that the Amino Acid count is too low. For instance, the tofu I buy has the number of grams protein on the label but doesn't get into amino acids. So if I ate 20 grams of protein from tofu it would list all my amino acids as 0.

I'm getting ready to do another week's worth of meal prep.

This past week was kind of a success and kind of a failure. I'm still trying to lose weight, so trying to do the 1200 cal thing. I was so ravenously hungry every day after work that I over ate and did not lose any weight. Most days I still did not eat any animal products, but on Thursday my husband brought home a pizza and I was so hungry I couldn't stop myself - and had leftover pizza yesterday as well :(

I think I'll try upping my calories during the day and see if that helps. I'm wondering - if I continue to eat very low fat and mostly whole plant based foods, would I be able to eat until satisfied and also at least maintain my weight loss if not continue losing weight? I've seen some pretty thin vegans who aren't trying to lose weight.

As I mentioned before, we live in an RV so our space is limited. We have an oven, and a combination convection oven/microwave but RVs heat up quickly and it's July. Today I'm going to buy a toaster oven and set up a little outdoor kitchen to use for the rest of the summer.

@Mom2vegan
IMHO, you should ditch the 1200 calorie deal goal.
A. It's not working - in that you keep falling off of it
B. It's unlikely you are getting all your nutrients, so it's unsustainable.

One of the best diets I was able to do was called the 21-day fix diet. You can look it up but I think its best for people like me who don't live with anyone. But several of the key concepts can be applied to any diet. One of the concepts is do make a 1600 calorie goal. That is three 400 calorie meals and two 200 calorie snacks. The best thing about that is that with the meals and snacks - you are never hungry (except maybe at bedtime). So you cheat less often. For me, 1600 calories does not create much of a calorie deficit. but without as much cheating it is slow and steady. And sustainable. And pretty easy.

Last summer I tried Dr. Fuhrman's diet. I forget what he calls it. He has a chapter on it in his book Eat To Live. You are supposed to read the whole book before you start the diet. But I had been hearing good stuff about the book for years so I wanted to read the book. One of the main concepts is to limit grains to just one serving a day while you are trying to lose weight. Normally he recommends 2 - 3. And the other thing is that he wants you to eat a lot of food that does not have a lot of calories. I was having a 400 calorie salad every day for lunch. And not only was I having a hard time finishing it I was also skipping the afternoon snack because I was too full. And my ChronOmeter charts remained all green. I lost 10 pounds last summer. And I haven't added any since. ( I could still lose another 10 pounds - need to get more exercise, I think).

I couldn't find any sample weekly meal plans from Dr. Fuhrman or Dr. Gregar online. I suppose they want you to buy their books. but you can get their books at the library to start off with. (Dr. Gregar's book is pretty similar - its called How Not To Die).

but i did find this. And its a 1200 calorie meal plan!

I don't think I have a choice but to ditch the 1200 calorie thing. It's just not working any more. It worked for the first 45 lbs but maybe after all those months my body is deprived of some nutrients and just not able to do it anymore. I did buy some supplements so hopefully that will help.

I read about half of Eat to Live. It seems to me it's largely about filling up on salad. After a while, don't you get sick of leafy greens? I crave them and eat them every day for a while, then for a while I can't stomach them. I think it probably has something to do with getting all the micronutrients I need. Lately the only greens I'm getting is what I put in my smoothies.......and it's ruining my smoothies!

I'll have a look at that 7-day meal plan. I have a couple of recipes I'm making for this week - sweet potato bourbon chili and the black bean burgers recipe from above but I'll try substituting chia seeds for the egg.

The pea soup I made last week really is satisfying. I'll have the last bowl tomorrow. It's pretty high cal but no oils and no grains so probably pretty healthy. Today I did add a teaspoon of olive oil to my bowl of soup because my body is missing out on something, and I've been eating very low fat for a long time. Some nutrients are fat soluble and I wonder if not eating fat is causing me some absorption problems.

I just read this article - it's helpful for me to get the basics on how to make food taste good. I've never been much of a cook because I hate following recipes with tons of ingredients and buying spices etc that I won't use often. I don't have the space. I want to use the same spices over and over again. I think this makes sense. https://www.mamasezz.com/blogs/news/how-to-make-plant-based-foods-taste-great

Reactions: Lou