I need suggestions for packable snacks and meals for work

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Last summer while I was doing the Fuhrman diet. I had a big salad for lunch every day. Summertime is when I make a weekly trek to the farmer's market*. I would buy fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers, zucchini for my salads. Plus string beans, asparagus, and broccoli for my evening stir fry. And then apricots, plums, and apples for snacks.

At the supermarket, I was mostly just buying soymilk, oatmeal, rice, mushrooms, some seeds, nuts, and chopped olives

One big plus is it made shopping super easy.

The salads didn't get that boring because I was always trying to add new things to it. and changing up the dressing daily. And adding special ingredients: sliced mushrooms; chopped olives; spiralized carrots; spiralized zucchin; roasted tomatoes; grilled onions; canned peas; canned corn; garbanzo beans; black beans; sunflower seeds; almond slivers. The only bad thing is that it put me off chopping veggies for months. :)

I did buy at least two as-seen-on-TV gizmos to try to chop veggies. only to find that IRL they don't work so good. What useful thing I did learn is that you can just do all your chopping right away and then store it**. If the things are only meant to last a week - they don't suffer too much from chopping ahead of time. In the long run, I think it saves time.

My very best purchase was an expensive kitchen knife and knife sharpener.

* I read somewhere that all the energy saved in buying local is wasted if you have to drive to the Farmer's market. So I would walk there. Its a nice walk but then i was carrying like 20 pounds of produce home.

** I did also develop a new good habit. Come home from the Farmer's market and wash all the veggies and chop them right away. Even if you are not going to eat salad everyday it saves time and makes eating the veggies as snacks more likely.

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Today I did add a teaspoon of olive oil to my bowl of soup because my body is missing out on something, and I've been eating very low fat for a long time. Some nutrients are fat soluble and I wonder if not eating fat is causing me some absorption problems.
If i remember right you only need like 12 or 15 grams of fat per day. I average like 20 or 25.

Split pea soup has become one of my favorite meals. It isn't high calorie. The way I make it is its only like 200 - 300 calories. But I'll also have it with a dinner roll.

Mom2vegan

Reaction score
Last summer while I was doing the Fuhrman diet. I had a big salad for lunch every day. Summertime is when I make a weekly trek to the farmer's market*. I would buy fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers, zucchini for my salads. Plus string beans, asparagus, and broccoli for my evening stir fry. And then apricots, plums, and apples for snacks.

At the supermarket, I was mostly just buying soymilk, oatmeal, rice, mushrooms, some seeds, nuts, and chopped olives

One big plus is it made shopping super easy.

The salads didn't get that boring because I was always trying to add new things to it. and changing up the dressing daily. And adding special ingredients: sliced mushrooms; chopped olives; spiralized carrots; spiralized zucchin; roasted tomatoes; grilled onions; canned peas; canned corn; garbanzo beans; black beans; sunflower seeds; almond slivers. The only bad thing is that it put me off chopping veggies for months. :)

I did buy at least two as-seen-on-TV gizmos to try to chop veggies. only to find that IRL they don't work so good. What useful thing I did learn is that you can just do all your chopping right away and then store it**. If the things are only meant to last a week - they don't suffer too much from chopping ahead of time. In the long run, I think it saves time.

My very best purchase was an expensive kitchen knife and knife sharpener.

* I read somewhere that all the energy saved in buying local is wasted if you have to drive to the Farmer's market. So I would walk there. Its a nice walk but then i was carrying like 20 pounds of produce home.

** I did also develop a new good habit. Come home from the Farmer's market and wash all the veggies and chop them right away. Even if you are not going to eat salad everyday it saves time and makes eating the veggies as snacks more likely.
You're making me want to go to the farmers market......wish we had one close enough to walk to! I'd ride my bicycle and put all the veggies in the basket.

My weekly meal prep has become a comforting ritual. Adding the chopping up of a lot of vegetables to that would be very pleasant. I need to find a better chopping knife, for sure - the one I have might just need to be sharpened. I guess that's one benefit of living next door to my dad - I'll see if he can sharpen it for me.

That black bean burger recipe seems to be turning out very nice. I haven't eaten a whole burger yet, just crumbles, but they're holding together well and smell great. I doubled the recipe and it's coming out to 10 burgers. I'll freeze some for next week's lunches. Instead of egg I used chia seeds as the binder. I feel so proud of myself for learning that trick.

I bought a toaster oven and I'm doing all the cooking outside so as not to heat up the RV. I do have the instant pot running in the RV, making a batch of maple sugar burboun sweet potato chili.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I do have the instant pot running in the RV, making a batch of maple sugar burboun sweet potato chili.
Oh, good you have an IP. I make my split pea soup in the IP. In fact, I just had a bowl for lunch. I love this recipe because I just use an immersion blender after its cooked. No chopping!!

Mom2vegan

Reaction score
I adore my instant pot - and now I adore my toaster oven. I just made split pea soup in it last week! I love making my own hummus.

OMG I just had a black bean burger on Ezekiel bread with pickles, vegan mayo and ketchup. It tasted fantastic. I have not been so full and satisfied in I don't know how long. I did not know it was possible to be this full and satisfied eating vegan.

• Love

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I like Ezekial bread too. Just discovered it's at Trader Joes for just $3.99.

Reactions: Mom2vegan

Mom2vegan

Reaction score
OK here's the plan for this week. I'm not going to count the calories - I'm just going to do whole foods, nothing processed, no oils added except for 1-2tsp vegan mayonaisse per day.

Breakfast - 1/4C oatmeal cooked in 1/2 C water, with 1T peanut butter and 1/2 banana
Snack - protein smoothie made with a scoop of vegan protein powder, a cup or two of almond milk, and a cup or two of fruit
lunch - a big bowl of maple bourbon sweet potato chili with beans.
snack - fruit
dinner - black bean burrito on 2 slices Ezekiel bread with 1-2t vegan mayo, ketchup, pickles, lettuce
and a salad with 1/2 avocado, 2T salad dressing, some baked jalapeno crisps
1 glass wine

I'm trusting you, Lou. Do not let my figure down!
I'm afraid I may gain weight this week but ...... I'll give it a whirl. Maybe I'll feel stronger and more energetic and feel like going to the gym.

Last edited:

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
May I make a suggestion regarding the mayo? instead of mayo on your sandwich use hummus. It is even better flavour and a whole lot less of the oily yuck factor. Also, if you have a freezer, throw in a bag of frozen mixed berries (avoid the mixes with strawberries as they take up too much space in the mix) and add those berries to your oatmeal. Even just a bag of frozen wild blueberries would be a great addition.

Sounds much better than your 1200 calorie days. :)

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Also, I love black bean burgers too and also falafel or falafel burgers.... here is a great recipe that I have used and absolutely love them. I do love all things chick peas.

https://thevegan8.com/easy-vegan-baked-falafel/

Emma JC

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
May I make a suggestion regarding the mayo? instead of mayo on your sandwich use hummus. It is even better flavour and a whole lot less of the oily yuck factor. Also, if you have a freezer, throw in a bag of frozen mixed berries (avoid the mixes with strawberries as they take up too much space in the mix) and add those berries to your oatmeal. Even just a bag of frozen wild blueberries would be a great addition.

Sounds much better than your 1200 calorie days. :)

Emma JC
Hummus is great for a sandwich spread. ( I use it on my bagel sandwichs instead of vegan cream cheese). Vegan mayo is usually just oil. Over here we have a brand of vegan aioli. Its no better health-wise than mayo but it is delicious and can go on the other side of the sandwich. I love the garlic flavored one.

When I get back from the Farmers Market I cut up my strawberries and freeze half. they are great to add to oatmeal. And when blueberries are on sale I do the same thing. (we don't have local blueberries). I have never used frozen pineapple or bananas in my oatmeal - but they are great for smoothies.

Reactions: Emma JC