Not thriving :(

Gem

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi,

Not sure if I’m posting this in the correct area, but I could really do with some help.
I have been eating plant based for about a month now, in the past when trying to go plant based I’ve also got to around this mark before I start feeling how I do now.
I REALLY want to help animals and do good for my health but the past month I have been so miserable. I feel so limited with what I can eat, as I am also gluten intolerant and am a very picky eater. I know being a picky eater sounds like a ridiculous problem to have and I should just get over it, but if I eat something I don’t like I will gag because I just can’t deal with the taste or texture.
For this reason I haven’t been eating much at all since going plant based, literally just porridge, smoothies, rice etc. I’m so tired all of the time, and just feel like a complete failure. I can’t get used to the taste of beans, and I’ve tried cooking tofu in numerous ways but not only do I hate it but it causes my skin to break out.
I probably eat around 1200 calories a day at the most (I’m 20) which I know is so unhealthy but I just don’t know what to eat. I know your tastebuds take a while to adjust to new foods, but even when I mix them with other food I struggle to stomach it. I have managed to make about 3 different plant based dishes I actually like, which i have rotated over the last month :( anything involving a distinct bean or chickpea taste/texture, quinoa, tofu, lentils or avocados is enough to put me off immediately. And obviously I can’t have pasta or bread (gluten free versions aren’t always the healthiest either).
I seriously am so stuck with what to do, I understand this is such a first world problem but it’s honestly getting me down and I really don’t want to have to stop my vegan journey but I know I need to eat so please be nice.

Thank you.

Have you tried gardein? They are gluten free and vegan. Do you eat fruit or vegetables? Maybe try a stir fry. There's gluten free cereals as well.

Thank you for your reply, I don’t believe anywhere near me stocks gardein products.
I like the sausages from Linda McCartneys range, but as mentioned soy products break my skin out so I tend not to eat them too often.
I do like almost every fruit, but not so keen on many green vegetables. Before I went plant based i’d rely on eating something like a salad/a serving of broccoli with some kind of meat to hide the taste, so recently I haven’t been eating many vegetables.
It’s so frustrating trying to break these habits because it’s making me feel ill in the process :(

There's also potatoes. There's more veggies than just green ones. Like peppers, eggplant, carrots, turnips and parsnips. There's vegan yogurt made with almonds, cashews or coconut. You could also look into seeing a nutritionist that knows about vegan eating to help you out. You could also eat some kind of nuts or nut butters to get some more fat and calories into you.

I've found a lot of ideas on Youtube.

Do you like pizza? I mean come on, who doesn't like pizza I dare ask? This is one of the easiest go-to foods. If you can find gluten free pizza shells in your frozen section, the rest is pretty simple. You can also usually find premix packages of gluten free pizza flour mix in most grocery stores. I believe Bob's Red Mill makes one. Pizza crust, even gluten free, from scratch isn't that hard (again Youtube). I always have leftovers with pizza too.

I don't know how you feel about sushi rolls, but I find these very easy to make, and super delicious. Stir-fries can be easily customized to exactly what you like in it.

Some of the rice pastas are pretty darn good, and don't forget Thai rice noodles. I love those, especially in a stir-fry. I find those meals very filling and satisfying. The sauce can be as simple as gluten free tamari and maple syrup. I love Thai peanut sauce too. I posted a really yummy recipe in the recipe section of the forum with my favorite Thai peanut sauce. This can be adapted to what you like in it.

Another meal I find comforting is a nice bowl of chili. You can get some vegan ground meat substitute, if gluten free. TVP works also or just make a veggie chili. I find it quite comforting during the winter months.

If you do like some kind of beans, don't forget rice & beans. I often season it up with Mexi-style seasonings or with curry, or even just some veggie soup seasoning, with some sauteed onions and mushrooms mixed in. Rice and beans does not have to be boring.

I could almost live on yams and sweet potatoes. I especially love the purple Japanese yams with the white flesh. This is an easy no-brainer for me. I just bake a few and keep them in the fridge for a snack or fast meal, even.

Another really fast an easy meal is the good ole bag of mixed frozen veggies (I like the Asian mix) turned into a 10 minute instant stir-fry.

Also, keep in mind that you can retrain your taste bud over time, and don't be afraid to try new things. You will never know if you like or don't like them if you never try them. In the meantime, stick with what you know, and build on that.

Hey Gem,

Your right that a month is very early on in the transition, however, it sounds to me like your doing great, much better than most. I have many colleagues who are vegan and all they eat is french fries and pasta, their body must just be screaming for some vitamins.

Most people do struggle much like you are, well it's hard to imagine someone who does not like avocados!!!! but I can assure you that soon it will get easier. It just takes one of two Aha moments to get you on to downhill of the track.

My suggestion to you is to leverage smoothies is you can, put all the things you love in there. Banana, berries, nut milk, vegan protein powder, chia seed, cocoa nibs anything you love. Smoothies are a great way to start the day and throw your calorie intake into the sky. Same goes for soups, if you don't have a blender I suggest you get a good one and try to find a recipes you think you can handle, maybe something with onion and tomato for the sweetness that it sounds like you like. Again soups are often packed with goodness and don't have to taste like earthy vegetables.

If you can do these two things I am certain you will be back on your game in no time.

Reactions: Steadylee68
I found that like you most things were bland. So ask yourself what changes could you make to add flavour, we have sour, sweet, salt, bitter,hot,cold, so try adding a food to adjust the meal to your liking.
Personally l love Indian Spiced food, ginger, cilantro, nuts and try to avoid breads and pasta though l do eat them occasionally. Try a few Indian dishes but you have to avoid their use of yogurt.