Question Seitan

P

Peta

Hi
I just made my first seitan. It's horrible, rubbery, hard and just plain weird. Tasted ok, but it's like shoe rubber. I may have kneaded it far too long as I watched the guy on Sauce Stache and copied him.
I mixed up my dry, then added my wet ingredients, then set the mixer to knead for 40 mins. Then I wrapped it up and steamed it for 2 hours.
I really, really want to try again and get a more tender version.
Please help.
Thanks

Hi
I just made my first seitan. It's horrible, rubbery, hard and just plain weird. Tasted ok, but it's like shoe rubber. I may have kneaded it far too long as I watched the guy on Sauce Stache and copied him.
I mixed up my dry, then added my wet ingredients, then set the mixer to knead for 40 mins. Then I wrapped it up and steamed it for 2 hours.
I really, really want to try again and get a more tender version.
Please help.
Thanks

I think that you have just answered your question. The longer you knead the dough, the tougher it will be. You don't need a mixer and if you knead it by hand for a few minutes and leave it to rest, you should obtain a firm and moist dough that is neither rubbery or tough.

There is a thread on www.veganforum.org/whats-new/ Tofu v Seitan where there is a basic recipe and a few useful tips for making white setan.

I hope this helps ! :)

Well chickwheat certainly takes a mixer/food processor, and is very tender!
Did you add any beans or tofu to the wet mix?
I have found either processing to the point of it becoming taffy like or not kneading at all is the best-any in between seems too chewy
Allowing the mixed dough to rest for an hour, or even overnight, also produces a nice result.

Well chickwheat certainly takes a mixer/food processor, and is very tender!
Did you add any beans or tofu to the wet mix?
I have found either processing to the point of it becoming taffy like or not kneading at all is the best-any in between seems too chewy
Allowing the mixed dough to rest for an hour, or even overnight, also produces a nice result.
How much beans or tofu do you add?

How much beans or tofu do you add?
Heres the recipe-
  • 2 cups/300g cooked chickpeas (cold, don’t use warm)
  • 1 cup/225 ml aquafaba (vegetable broth or water can be substituted)
  • 2 tbsp/30 ml vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp/35g white miso paste*
  • 1.5 tsp/10g salt**
  • 1 tbsp/12g onion powder
  • 2 tsp/6g garlic powder
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 3/4 cup/255g vital wheat gluten
This recipe requires a ton of kneading, I have a stand Kitchen Aide I use with a dough hook. It runs for almost 10 min until it gets hot, and taffy like. You want to shred it as soon as it can be handled. I've only made it once, but really liked it. Some people have said they cover the dough and just let it rest overnight and the gluten develops nicely. I do add a ton of herbs and spices

To most of the regular seitan I make I'll add no more than a third beans, or other non gluten flour, to lighten it a bit, and only knead enough to come together, then rest

Reactions: PTree15