- 1/4 cup raw turbinado sugar (brown sugar can be used)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 3 tablespoons dried onion powder
- 3 tablespoons dried garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the spice rub. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, ketchup, red onion, garlic and chili. Stir and let simmer, uncovered, for about an hour. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 15 more minutes until the sauce thickens. Stir it often. If it seems too thick, add some water.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the seitan and mix well. In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Knead the dough lightly until everything is combined and the dough feels elastic.
- Grease or spray a baking dish. Add the dough to the baking dish, flattening it and stretching it out to fit the dish. Cut the dough into 8 strips and then in half to make 16 thick ribs.
- Top the dough with the spice rub and massage it in a bit. Bake the seitan for 40 to 60 minutes or until the seitan has a sturdy texture to it (thinner ribs will cook faster). Remove the dish from the oven. Recut the strips and carefully remove them from the baking dish.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Slather the ribs with BBQ sauce and lay them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Put the ribs back in the oven for just about 10 minutes so the sauce can get a bit charred. Alternatively, you can cook the sauce-covered ribs on a grill or in a grill pan.