Question Sandwiches

N

New Vegan

Hi
I am trying to eat vegan, but sandwiches are a real challenge.
I don't like capsicum, cucumber, eggplant, tofu or chickpeas.
Any suggestions?

Hi new vegan,

welcome to the forum!!!

some thoughts coming to my head ...

tomato, cucumber, vegan cheese and cold cuts, hummus (processed chickpeas taste different I would say), tempeh (different to tofu), salad, marmite, sandwich spread, apple, pear, sauerkraut, pickles...

Vegan meats, of all kinds - there are vegan deli meats, sausages, bacon, steak, chicken... I just make versions of popular meat combos, like BLTs, "turkey" salad, ham and mustard, and so on. Also, in the UK at least, you can get these 'vegetable fingers' covered in breadcrumbs. They go great in a sandwich :D

I'm a lover of sandwiches & wraps, but not ANY meat analogs, seitan, tempeh, or tofu.... I DO, however, absolutely adore falafel! And you don't have to make it from chickpeas! Not too long ago, instead of making my usual wraps, I went through a falafel-slider phase.... SOOO GOOOD!! :lick:

Try making your own lentil falafel! Simple 5 Ingredient Baked Falafel - Pinch of Yum

Some awesome bread, a schmear of vegan cream cheese, some baby spinach, maybe a little tomato.... :up:

photoalbum_480956739_user70471033-r2830393.jpg

(those were mine, regular spicy falafel from garbanzos) :p

Last edited:
Hi
I am trying to eat vegan, but sandwiches are a real challenge.
I don't like capsicum, cucumber, eggplant, tofu or chickpeas.
Any suggestions?
Oh, and I'd just like to say thank you.... you helped my Crockapalooza leftovers NOT go to waste. ;)

I have discovered that I LOVE certain brands of bread and I'm really enjoying good old pb & j sandwiches as long as it is on the good bread. I'm still eating grilled cheese but I'm trying out vegan grilled cheese. Sometimes I spread vegetarian retried beans on good bread or rolls with baby spinach, tomato, raw green beans, cukes, etc.

Reactions: KLS52
My favorite sandwich in the whole world--tempeh reuben.
I just thin slice the tempeh, sautee in about a 1/2 cup water with 2 teaspoons liquid smoke till absorbed.
Sauerkraut, Just Mayo with a bit of ketchup and pickle relish.
All on grilled rye bread with some vegan mozzerella.

I don't like tempeh in general but I had a tempeh Reuben once in a diner in Connecticut and it was amazing. I tried to recreate it at home but didn't have much luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grayveggie
I have discovered that I LOVE certain brands of bread and I'm really enjoying good old pb & j sandwiches as long as it is on the good bread. I'm still eating grilled cheese but I'm trying out vegan grilled cheese. Sometimes I spread vegetarian retried beans on good bread or rolls with baby spinach, tomato, raw green beans, cukes, etc.
I have been overdosing on garden tomatoes on ciabatta bread with vegan mayo. Oh my goodness!

Lately I've been making sandwiches with Just Mayo, tomatoes, Daiya cheddar slices, sweet onions, pickles, and lettuce. I add sprouts when I have them. I prefer french sandwich rolls or sourdough bread, but I also have it on multigrain bread. This is also good without the cheese.

Something else a little different...grilled peanut butter and jelly, or in my case almond butter and jelly. If you use unrefined coconut oil instead of vegan butter to cook it, it adds a slight coconut flavor...extra delicious.

Oh I never even thought of grilling pb&j sandwiches?! That sounds really good!

Avocados, combined with other veggies, make for terrific sandwiches.

Grilled portabello mushrooms are also a great main ingredient for sandwiches.

I make seitan, in different flavors, that I also use in lieu of store bought faux meat.

Oh, and lentils or tvp can be added to sloppy Joe sauce for Sloppy Joes.

piesandwich.jpg
Anything goes into a sandwich. We used to enjoy banana and also crisp sandwiches when I was a youngster. I even saw someone having a pie sandwich on the TV the other day.:D

Last edited:
I like to fill a panini bun with fresh tomatoes and spread on some basil pesto. Grill it. That's it! You can add vegan cheese slices to it also if you like.

Last edited:
Tuscan boule. That is all. :lick:

I like to fill a panini bun with fresh tomatoes and spread on some basil pesto. Grill it. That's it! You can add vegan cheese slices to it also if you like.
I also put wilted greens with onions, peppers and vegan cheese in panini.

I am going to try the grilled pbj sandwich; that sounds delicious.

Is it just me, or does "wilted greens" not really sound too appetizing?
I know, I know, it is a culinary term, but still....

That said, I do love paninis...