Physical Exercise Running!!

Just ran my fastest 5k!

:bd:
Way to go! And running in Greece must have been lovely! I was a total slacker with the running when I was on vacation...

It's been super, super hot here, so running had been rough... Even after the sun goes down. So my runs haven't been too long. I've also been taking my hydration pack on much shorter runs than usual and doing some cross-training in the gym so I don't completely melt...

Well a storm-front came through mid-day yesterday, leaving us with MUCH cooler temperatures (about mid to high 80sF) so I went out for a trail run after lab. It was so, so wonderful.

Well a storm-front came through mid-day yesterday, leaving us with MUCH cooler temperatures (about mid to high 80sF) so I went out for a trail run after lab. It was so, so wonderful.

Yay!

Our summer was back in march and didnt last that long. I don't think it's stopped raining since. Which sucks for everything except running, I'll always bang on about how good it is to run in the cool and damp. Especially the MUD. Dangerous for slugs and snails though, they're out in force tonight, hard to avoid.

I agree about running in the rain. I've always enjoyed that... Cycling in the rain too!

Has anyone ever had a stress fracture from running before? I think I have one. It's terrible :( I have burning pains on the top of my foot up my shin, and it's swollen like a balloon.

No, but from what I've hear get yourself to a doc and get a rehab plan ASAP.

I'm sorry to hear about the splints :(

How's everyone's running going?

I didn't do my marathon in the end but went along to support a friend. Incredible atmosphere, can't wait to do my own.

Looking at a trail half in spring, will I finally do a full next autumn??

Moved house so a bit harder to get long runs in, but can do 5k round an old Victorian cemetery that is also a kind of nature reserve now. Great for hills, views like this at the top:
etate5yb.jpg

Good motivation!

Getting kind of blue this winter, not much time to run after dark. Anything much further than 5k is difficult. Looking forward to Spring evenings.

Got some trail running shoes in the sale so looking forward to using them out in the snow and in the woods come Spring.

I haven't run for ages, need to get out before I lose all fitness all together.

I got flu straight after buying those shoes so I still haven't used them yet or even run this year :(

Yayayay! I finally got out for a run! I've been hankering to get out for ages but been putting it off anticipating it being tough cos I've had such a long break.

It was great :D zombie app plus as blizzardy weather as London ever sees made it feel like proper survival. Fun an no where near as tough as I expected, even though the icy air was a bit of a shock to my lungs.

Feel like I get to read runners world again now :D

Yayayay! I finally got out for a run! I've been hankering to get out for ages but been putting it off anticipating it being tough cos I've had such a long break.

It was great :D zombie app plus as blizzardy weather as London ever sees made it feel like proper survival. Fun an no where near as tough as I expected, even though the icy air was a bit of a shock to my lungs.

Feel like I get to read runners world again now :D
^^^The zombie app- did you get the new trainer app from the "couch to 5k" website? The one that also has Bobbie, Sgt. Block, Constance, and that cute little dog? I don't have a smart phone so I had no use for it.

The only running I normally do is when I'm late for the bus- but I walk a LOT: Saturday I walked to the closest branch of the gym I belong to- 4 miles each way. So, Sunday I tried doing a run from the second week of the C25K program: 5 minute walk warmup and then 20 minutes of alternating 90 seconds jogging and 2 minutes walking. I have an old cell phone that isn;t supported by the manufacturer any more (I don;t think), so rather than recycle it or throw it out I use it as a timepiece. It has a stopwatch function which I used to pace myself. The run wasn't bad, although it took more effort than running for the bus. I'll need better shoes than the ones I have if I'm going to get into this.

Reactions: KLS52
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365407191.906965.jpg

I'm looking at a race up Snowdon and down again. I think it's doable but will be VERY TOUGH.

I have until the end of the month to get the early bird booking fee so I have this month to get back into running regularly again. Not far or fast, just need to get back into the habit for now.

FINALLY packed a running bag to take to work so should run later!!

Decided against Snowdon in the end, reading a bit more there would be some upper body climbing and there's no way I'd be ready for that in time. Signed up for the same distance (18 miles) in August but round a lake instead :D

It's really hard to find training plans for 18 miles.

Tom, I got the zombie app with the new runner, not the couch to 5k one :) are you still running? Did you get new shoes?

It's a bit weird because the old runner who was eaten has my name so it's strange because told I'm being chased by my zombie self :p

I haven't run anyplace far since that trial run. I haven't decided yet if I want to run more. I'll be walking to or from work sometimes next week, and that's a 6-mile trip each way. I might start working brief periods of running into it. I haven't gotten new shoes yet, but I will if I decide I don't want my commutes to take so much time.

RunnersWorld is making me lol forever: 'if you can grab fat on your chest...you are low on testosterone'. HA HA HA.

Anyway, there was also a bit on breaking 30 minutes for 5k which is something I've done maybe twice in all the years I've been running. So I figured that seemed like a good thing to try for. Except, I don't know if my GPS is off or what, but apparently I just did by 49 seconds. So that's cool :starshower:

Next up 25 minutes huh? ;)

Actually a 60 minute 10k would be good...

Actually looking at the stats of who should be trying to break a 25 minute 5k, I'm much closer to that than for the 30 minutes. Not quite there, but close. So I'm not sure why I'm finding even breaking 30 minutes so hard.

I need to stop thinking of 5k as something I'm struggling to finish and start thinking about racing it. I'd like to be able to do it in less than 27 minutes by the end of the summer for sure.

Just ran my fastest 1k :D

Not sure where all this speed is coming from, I've hard run at all this year, didn't even run again til late April. Somehow can maintain what is usually a sprint for me for much longer (a couple of km at least). It's good I guess, lots of fun, I just don't know why!

Reactions: ledboots