Physical Exercise Running!!

Today was a great running day! I ran 7km for the first time! :D It was a beautiful day out, 7C, blue skies and sunshine streaming like a bright Spring afternoon~

I'm still quite a slow runner, but I'm not worried about that. I want to increase my distance to 10km, and then from there working on managing to increase my speeds. I'm doing it for myself, and I'm not planning on competitive running, so I'm perfectly happy to go at a comfortable pace and let the speed naturally come. :)

I also ran today! Although it was inside. On a treadmill. But I still made the running action, so it kinda counts.
40 minutes, roughly 5 miles. Plan on going again a bit later on to bump it up to an hour.

Hoping to increase my distance much more, as well as my stamina which'll hopefully follow :jump:.

Was at a pilates for runners class this evening and as I was laying flat on the floor I could feel my heart beating. Took my pulse and my resting HR is between 40-50bpm now! Must be a sign of my improved fitness!! :-I

Reactions: Oasis
I signed up to do the Dulux Colour Run! It's 5k and you're allowed to walk (easy peasy) but obviously I'd rather run. So I figured that was good motivation to actually start running.

Tried today as I have the day off work and its actually only raining a little bit - Yeaaaaah that failed miserably. I was going to do day 1 of the couch to 5k (5min walk up , run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds for 20mins) but only managed for 10mins before my lungs felt like they were going to pop. Whilst my body wasnt tired I just couldn't breathe and had to sit on a bench to catch my breath. then I did manage to run most of the way home!

So um, anyone got any tips for an asthmatic trying to take up running?! I know my lungs are terrible, they always have been. Or do I just need more practise? I havent done any form of excersise due to a combination of illness/the awful weather for weeks so that didnt help I'm sure. This run is in June.

I'm impressed at everyone, have no idea how you do it. How long did it take people to feel competant?

I signed up to do the Dulux Colour Run! It's 5k and you're allowed to walk (easy peasy) but obviously I'd rather run. So I figured that was good motivation to actually start running.

Tried today as I have the day off work and its actually only raining a little bit - Yeaaaaah that failed miserably. I was going to do day 1 of the couch to 5k (5min walk up , run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds for 20mins) but only managed for 10mins before my lungs felt like they were going to pop. Whilst my body wasnt tired I just couldn't breathe and had to sit on a bench to catch my breath. then I did manage to run most of the way home!

So um, anyone got any tips for an asthmatic trying to take up running?! I know my lungs are terrible, they always have been. Or do I just need more practise? I havent done any form of excersise due to a combination of illness/the awful weather for weeks so that didnt help I'm sure. This run is in June.

I'm impressed at everyone, have no idea how you do it. How long did it take people to feel competant?

I didn't find out until I actually started running that I have 'exercise induced asthma'

I guess it's different to normal asthma. I just have to take my reliever inhaler BEFORE I start running as it's optimum time to work is 20 mins after u take it.

Also for me, if I exercise a few hours earlier in the day and bring on my symptoms then it doesn't happen if I run later that day. Some sort of refractory process I guess.

Enjoy the colour run! I was thinking if doing it but didn't want to ruin my running shoes lol. I'm I'm doing Run Electric in London (check it out!) x

I can't answer your first question, as I don't know what asthma feels like, nor do I know what's safe for an asthmatic person to push to, but I CAN answer this one! :) I took it really easy. Last year I started walking a nice easy flat 5k trail -- which is now my running trail by the way -- and once I was able to easily power walk it no problem, I started doing the 4.19km trail that has tons and tons of steep hills. Once I was able to power walk that trail no problem -- took a while, because those hills are INTENSE -- I started running down all of the downhills. Then I'd bridge some downhill running with a flat spot in between the next downhill.

Over the months I slowly added a little bit more, and some more until I was running almost the entire trail (would run up a couple uphills but mostly walked up the hills, and ran all the flats and downhills) and by then I decided I was ready to try the flat 5km trail again. Sure enough, I was able to run the whole thing without stopping! :D Since then, I've just been stretching out the trail a bit more (adding loops and such). It was almost exactly a year later that I started running 5km from when I first started walking it. Same month, and I think the same week too. Weird, come to think of it, haha.

Good luck to you with your running :D I'm planning to do the Sun Run as well as the Colour Run when they come. (Sun Run is in April, and I believe the Colour Run is in my area in May)

--

I went running today :) Today is so beautiful and sunny, and the air was so fresh and wonderful smelling from yesterday's rain. It really and truly felt like Spring. I ran 7km, but didn't feel ready to return home yet, so I found a bench overlooking the river and just watched the geese float around in the water, and I felt so at peace and connected to nature. (It was completely silent there except for the wind)

That's awesome! :D Great job! I hope I'll be able to get as fast as 25 minutes someday :)

A real milestone for me at parkrun this week (5k).
Seven months ago I ran as hard as I could, had to walk some of it, but made it round in 34:12.
Despite have a few months off running, I've managed to chip away at that time.
Yesterday I finished as 4th female out of 139 in a time of 24:04 :)
Knocked 10 mins off my original time!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394360275.413666.jpg

Congrats! That's awesome! :) That's way faster than I can run, haha.

March 20th, I ran my first ever 10km. :) It was really slow (1 hour, 20 minutes. xD haha) but I did it without any walking, and I had enough energy at the end to sprint down and up my driveway (it's about 300 feet) and up to my front door. I ran 7km around the flat trail I like, and then the remaining 3km was on the road on the way home, which involved some hills. Anyway, even though I know the average runner could've done it much faster, I'm really proud of this milestone. :) It was a beautiful day out, and it was a really fun way to usher in the first day of Spring. :D

Congrats! That's awesome! :) That's way faster than I can run, haha.

March 20th, I ran my first ever 10km. :) It was really slow (1 hour, 20 minutes. xD haha) but I did it without any walking, and I had enough energy at the end to sprint down and up my driveway (it's about 300 feet) and up to my front door. I ran 7km around the flat trail I like, and then the remaining 3km was on the road on the way home, which involved some hills. Anyway, even though I know the average runner could've done it much faster, I'm really proud of this milestone. :) It was a beautiful day out, and it was a really fun way to usher in the first day of Spring. :D

I'm proud of you too! Most people couldn't run 10k full stop. And forget about the people who can do it faster, you're awesome because you out in the same amount if effort as them, travelled the same distance, but probs did it for twice as long! Well done!! X

So do I! It's so cute! :)

So this week I've been doing much easier runs. Tomorrow is the Sun Run!! :D It's a 10km event, so I while I didn't want to take extra rest days this week, I wanted to make sure I didn't wear myself out right before it either. It's bright and early at 9 (the commute is pretty long, so I'll probably be up at around 5:30. Whereas I usually get up between 6-6:30 for a morning run around the trail near my house)
I'm going with a friend, so that'll be a lot of fun. :) Plus the tens of thousands of other people that'll be participating too. My bib number is 47,000 something, so yeah... Wow. It'll be fun! I'm really excited. This is the first event that I'll have ever participated in. :)

Reactions: ledboots
So do I! It's so cute! :)

So this week I've been doing much easier runs. Tomorrow is the Sun Run!! :D It's a 10km event, so I while I didn't want to take extra rest days this week, I wanted to make sure I didn't wear myself out right before it either. It's bright and early at 9 (the commute is pretty long, so I'll probably be up at around 5:30. Whereas I usually get up between 6-6:30 for a morning run around the trail near my house)
I'm going with a friend, so that'll be a lot of fun. :) Plus the tens of thousands of other people that'll be participating too. My bib number is 47,000 something, so yeah... Wow. It'll be fun! I'm really excited. This is the first event that I'll have ever participated in. :)

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!! X