Resisting temptation -how to?

D

Deleted member 3018

Hi.
I really in all honesty do not want to make this thread since this is very personal.
And I'm also going to get a lot of hate probably.
I hope that you are gentle with me.

I have been vegan successfully for a long time. I do not want to support the horror and suffering that we humans bring upon innocent animals who just happened to be unfortunate enough to be born in those factories.

I have bad cravings for eggs and cheese. I think one of the biggest reason for this is that I'm on a diet and exercise plan trying to lose 3 kg and sometimes I feel hunger. Second major reason is probably Autumn, crappy weather makes me feel down -that is when my mind is more suggestible to condone bad cravings.

It's probably hard to understand why I wont just suck it up and shut up about it and simply NOT put unhealthy animal based non-food into my mouth? Well, I haven't been eating those -yet. But I still think I need advise. I'm indecisive as what to do since this dilemma is so emotional and disturbing.

In this light, would any of you have suggestions how to make the cravings go away without giving into them?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a new (newer than now) vegan I ate a lot of food that was low fiber (such as white noodles), and token amounts of real foods (like vegetables and fruits, wholegrains and beans). There were times when I would have 7-8 pieces of bread (labeled wholemeal, mind you) and still feel hungry.

Later, I found the bread I was eating, even though it contained wholemeal, because of all the other ingredients (including oil), it was actually pretty poor in fiber. There's a good guideline I got from Dr Greger that suggests the carb to fiber ratio in products like bread should not exceed 5:1. So 25g of Carbs should have 5 grams of fiber or more, preferably from whole food.

This realization I was not getting enough fiber in my diet changed a lot of things, including hunger. It's also a good reason to steer clear of garbage V*gan "foods" that are made up of a lot of protein isolates and little real whole food. I've found that they just don't satisfy. Sometimes they taste great, but if they don't satisfy I'm not interested.

No shame in being honest and humble publicly. I do not know if this info will help you, but it helped me a lot.

From within, I'm still a child. And found this video from Bite Sized Vegan therapeutic.
Chicken butt food for breakfast.
Oatmeal is good, thanks.

Reactions: TofuRobot
When I was a new (newer than now) vegan I ate a lot of food that was low fiber (such as white noodles), and token amounts of real foods (like vegetables and fruits, wholegrains and beans). There were times when I would have 7-8 pieces of bread (labeled wholemeal, mind you) and still feel hungry.

Later, I found the bread I was eating, even though it contained wholemeal, because of all the other ingredients (including oil), it was actually pretty poor in fiber. There's a good guideline I got from Dr Greger that suggests the carb to fiber ratio in products like bread should not exceed 5:1. So 25g of Carbs should have 5 grams of fiber or more, preferably from whole food.

This realization I was not getting enough fiber in my diet changed a lot of things, including hunger. It's also a good reason to steer clear of garbage V*gan "foods" that are made up of a lot of protein isolates and little real whole food. I've found that they just don't satisfy. Sometimes they taste great, but if they don't satisfy I'm not interested.

No shame in being honest and humble publicly. I do not know if this info will help you, but it helped me a lot.

Thank you, truly.
Now that I'm trying to make a lifestyle change for the healthier, have noticed that at some meals, especially at lunch time, I tend to forget to add enough vegetables and protein. Maybe it would be a good idea to make an effort to eat something other than just bread for lunch.
Thanks again. I'm going to put this guide into practice and see how it goes. It certainly sounds reasonable.

I agree, there's no shame in being honest. In fact, it is commendable.

I still think about cheese once in a while. In my humble opinion, it is one of the only things in vegan cuisine that's missing. And while I have become used to the vegan substitutes, when I do have something with cheese, there really is no good cheese replacement. I just learned to live without it. I know that's not the best advice in the world, as it is easier said than done for some people.

I don't miss eggs, myself, so that's not an issue for me. However, I do enjoy a nice tofu scramble once in a while. It's not quite the same, but with some ketchup it tricks me into feeling like I've had some eggs for breakfast.

I do agree with Nekodaiden on the fiber and food quality. I don't crave things nearly as much if I'm eating calorie dense foods that satiate a lot longer. Not that I crave any animal products, but I find I only crave things if I get hungry. So that's my advice for you. Don't allow yourself to get so hungry that your mind leads you in a bad direction.

For myself, I never just cook one meal. I always make sure I have leftovers. Don't starve yourself. It will end up causing you to crave more, and likely over-eat when you do.

I used to absolutely love cheese. I won't eat cow cheese just because it's gross and would make me feel absolutely horrible at this point. I eat daiya blocks, follow your heart provolone, go veggie parmesan in a shaker and chao slices. Those are my favorites for non dairy cheese and it gets the craving just fine. Follow your heart also makes a vegan egg and so does hampton creek just eggs. They are both good in texture and taste.

I also get down during the winter mostly and I take a d3 supplement to help with lack of sunlight and it helps a lot. Also go out for walks during autumn and get some sunlight.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I don't want to ramble too much or sound negative. But...
I have a very strict budget. Last month I had 100 euros for food, this month 70 euros. I think I get cravings because I can't afford the substitutes that I usually would. Usually I eat tofu or hummus when I crave for cheese or eggs.

I'm so thankful for the help you all have given. It really means a lot to me.

I got panicy, because when I was starting out as a vegan, years ago, I used to get cravings like this and I didn't always make my best to resist.

Now I know that I can reisist. And I will. Because animal rights are more important than my stupid cravings, besides when I don't have much money to spend on good healthy food, why on earth I would spend it on unhealthy and unethical "food"? That's hilarious.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I can completely relate. I have to admit that the cravings for egg and non-vegan cheese happen to me once in a while. But I never got tempted to the extent to eat anything non-vegan.

I can completely relate. I have to admit that the cravings for egg and non-vegan cheese happen to me once in a while. But I never got tempted to the extent to eat anything non-vegan.
Thank you.
That's awesome! I'm happy for you.
Usually, I wouldn't either, but now... For some reason, the cravings have drastically increased so much so that I was afraid that I might give in to them. I might have been starving myself without realising that I was (this can happen to me when I'm busy).

I might have been starving myself without realising that I was (this can happen to me when I'm busy)

I get busy too. You just have to think ahead a little bit. I often make soups, stews, and chilies that last a few days in the fridge, serving several meals without too much effort. A crockpot is invaluable for this purpose. You can also freeze these types of dishes, especially as individual meals for additional convenience.

Rice and beans will last me a few days too. Rice and beans are great as is on the first day. Then you can stuff the leftovers in a bell pepper and bake it, and/or make tacos or burritos.

Just start thinking about making extra when you do cook. If I didn't think ahead, I wouldn't starve, but I would end up spending more money on restaurant meals.

Just plan one of your days off to cook meals in advance. Homemade veggie patties or falafels also freeze well. All you need is a fresh bun or some bread, and viola, dinner or lunch is served.

Dried fruits and nuts can be quite satiating between meals too. Drink more water between meals. It also staves off hunger and cravings. Don't let yourself get hungry, and chances are your cravings will diminish, with any luck :)

Another thing I like is hummus. I can take a cheap can of chickpeas and turn it into a delicious snack or even a meal in less than 10 minutes. Homemade, two ingredient, flatbread to go with it in 30 mins.

Hi there! I feel you. I think one of the issues you may be having is for calories or fat. If you have been "dieting" or eating a very strict diet, you may need to eat more calorie dense foods, or you may not have enough healthy fats.

Eggs are full of cholesterol but they're also full of protein and other nutrients. Cheese is primarily a fat craving (unless you psychologically associate it with calcium).

If you eat tofu, I would suggest you sautee tofu with some veggies of choice, and pine nuts, pecans, or pumpkin seeds in your favorite oil (olive, canola, coconut) and eat with rice or pasta. This should cover all of your bases on a protein-packed, nutrient dense, filling and adequately fatty meal.

If you do not eat oil (I personally do, so sorry I don't relate) I think it's even more important to throw in the nuts or seeds with the tofu and veggies, and perhaps have some slices of avocado as a topping after it's cooked.

If you think this is merely psychological, Follow Your Heart makes VeganEggs, which are great scrambled with Follow Your Heart vegan cheez, and some toast and fruit or veggies.

Good luck!

I struggle to find easy vegan comfort foods. I usually end up with a big plate of pasta with olive oil and black pepper, or tomato sauce. On the sweet side I try to make fruit crumble and have that with soya custard or soya yoghurt, but they are not really quick and easy. Not like knocking up an omelette in minutes.

Do remember to drink, sometimes a big glass of water will stop the cravings.

animal rights are more important than my stupid cravings

I'm really glad you feel that way. It's a shame more people don't put animal rights before their dietary cravings. I used to have terrible cravings for fried egg. Now I only have cravings for chips and vegan ice-cream. And those can be ethnically satisfied once in a while.

I get busy too. You just have to think ahead a little bit. I often make soups, stews, and chilies that last a few days in the fridge, serving several meals without too much effort. A crockpot is invaluable for this purpose. You can also freeze these types of dishes, especially as individual meals for additional convenience.

Rice and beans will last me a few days too. Rice and beans are great as is on the first day. Then you can stuff the leftovers in a bell pepper and bake it, and/or make tacos or burritos.

Just start thinking about making extra when you do cook. If I didn't think ahead, I wouldn't starve, but I would end up spending more money on restaurant meals.

Just plan one of your days off to cook meals in advance. Homemade veggie patties or falafels also freeze well. All you need is a fresh bun or some bread, and viola, dinner or lunch is served.

Dried fruits and nuts can be quite satiating between meals too. Drink more water between meals. It also staves off hunger and cravings. Don't let yourself get hungry, and chances are your cravings will diminish, with any luck :)

Another thing I like is hummus. I can take a cheap can of chickpeas and turn it into a delicious snack or even a meal in less than 10 minutes. Homemade, two ingredient, flatbread to go with it in 30 mins.

Thank you for the helpful advices.

I have started to prep ahead every sunday evening. I cut up vegetables and use them up during the week. I have added more kale, carrots and onions into my diet, those bring nice textures, colors and flavors. I also eat now more wholefoods instead of pasta and have eliminated completely that nasty cheap bread I used to buy and instead have started making my own wholegrain bread.

The cravings have gone away. And now I know what to do the next time they come. The pattern is clear now and hopefully I can prevent this from happening again by looking what exactly I eat and how much.

Reactions: Nicky and hopeful
If you eat tofu, I would suggest you sautee tofu with some veggies of choice, and pine nuts, pecans, or pumpkin seeds in your favorite oil (olive, canola, coconut) and eat with rice or pasta. This should cover all of your bases on a protein-packed, nutrient dense, filling and adequately fatty meal.
That sounds freaking delicious! I must try that out.
Thank you :)

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I'm really glad you feel that way. It's a shame more people don't put animal rights before their dietary cravings. I used to have terrible cravings for fried egg. Now I only have cravings for chips and vegan ice-cream. And those can be ethnically satisfied once in a while.
I'm grateful that you appreciate my efforts. Fried eggs with cheese used to be my favorite comfort food when I was younger. Now, how disgusting is that..
I'm glad to have chosen to be a vegan once again and I am vegan for life because of the realization that I couldn't live with myself if I would support enslavement of animals.

cheese and eggs out of habits of liking those tastes were the hardest. i succumed a while to snack needs and seeing them in supermarket shelves ...then i found...thinking DEATH of the animals involved worked for me. ps edit...i also found...having snacks I DID like helped massively. always have peanuts in car now. and humous and bread snack.

cheese and eggs out of habits of liking those tastes were the hardest. i succumed a while to snack needs and seeing them in supermarket shelves ...then i found...thinking DEATH of the animals involved worked for me. ps edit...i also found...having snacks I DID like helped massively. always have peanuts in car now. and humous and bread snack.
I have noticed something similar works for me as well. Everytime I see cheese and think for a split second that it smells awesome, I snap out of it and start to consciously thinking about where it came and who's the victim -and the victim certainly isn't me, it's the mother cow and her poor calf. One of my favourite snacks are also humous with bread. I quess it's, for some unexplainable reason, important to have some vegan treats every now and then.

I am no nutritionist, but in my personal experience, cravings seem to come from either something your body needs nutritionally, or from an addiction. Your body could be craving protein or fat, or you're addicted to the taste, or in the case of cheese, the casomorphins (it's a real thing that many experts believe is behind cheese addiction). It will take time to "withdraw" from those cravings, but it happens. If you're craving eggs, maybe make a tofu scramble on some toast with avocados, or eat some lentils? Or if you're craving the taste of cheese, have some whole grain toast with Kite Hill cream cheese (SO GOOD). Also, try to avoid oils and vegan "junk food." They are devoid of nutrients, while you may feel full temporarily, your body is going to continue to "hunger" for the lost nutrients, which will impact your efforts to lose weight.

From an addiction standpoint, personally I have found that changing your mindset is the most powerful tool you have. You have to find the mere idea of eggs and cheese repulsive, rather than romanticizing it. It's a decision, a simple one, albeit not always an easy one. Good luck :)

@TofuRobot

Thank you! Now to think back, I was definitely craving fat and protein. Also probably calories, because back then I exercised a lot. At that time I was lazy with making food and only wanted to lose weight without making much lifestyle changes, so I thought that I could just simply eat less, but that resulted in hunger and constant cravings.
*sigh* I'm an idiot. "I'm on a diet and exercise plan" -more like "I'm on my way to losing my mind instead of achieving any permanent weight loss."
I'm grateful for everyones help, I was so deep in my own stupidity back then, I could have given in which would have been devastating.

I have started to eat three meals every day. Breakfast is around 8 am, lunch is 2 pm and dinner is 8 pm. This method is efficient at keeping hunger at bay. Oatmeal is breakfast, something warm and satiating (like tofu stew) is for dinner, when lunch is usually bread, vegetables and a banana.
I work out moderately, usually in the morning. Also some stretching and joga for relaxation. Then I go for walks when I feel like it. Every now and then I lift some weights (usually after dinner while watching Star Trek) ....that's it, nothing much, but works and feels better than starving and shaming myself.

From an addiction standpoint, personally I have found that changing your mindset is the most powerful tool you have. You have to find the mere idea of eggs and cheese repulsive, rather than romanticizing it. It's a decision, a simple one, albeit not always an easy one
100% agreed, it helps when I keep in mind where eggs and chese come from. Chickens are sensitive and intelligent beings. I can't ignore their suffering and cannot accept it, so I must protest by not eating eggs. Cheese has that salty flavour I used to like, but when I remember what it's made out of, cows milk, I can't eat cheese anymore. All that salt can't be good for human body either, so it's a win-win.

My infamous tofu stew: mix some tofu with peeled and cut up potatoes and carrots, frozen vegetables and water, boil them, add little bit of olive oil, soy sauce and non-salted grill seasoning. It's so warm and delicious. Also cauliflower or broccoli goes perfectly with it, but they are out of season and expensive.

Reactions: TofuRobot