Question-Kitchen Utensils & Food Processor

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Which kitchen appliances in addition to a so-called high-performance mixer?

What other kitchen appliances should you have for vegan food/raw food in addition to a so-called high-performance mixer and a dehydrator?

In particular, are there devices for chopping/mixing/shredding that would be better suited for certain products than a high-performance mixer? Emptying the blender container is very complicated/time-consuming, especially with tough, solid ingredients (e.g. lentils, chickpeas, dates). So would there be other devices that would be more practical?

I think you are suggesting an immersion blender.
You can buy a simple one without attachments. with an immersion blender you can blend right in the pot you are cooking in, or right in the bowl you are preparing in. They start at about $30.

I mostly think of my immersion blender as a complement to my InstantPot. Pouring hot soup from an IP to a blender is something to be avoided. The other benefit is that now when I make a soup in my IP I do very little chopping. I just hit it with the Imersion blender when it's done cooking.

I got a really fancy immersion blender as a gift and it has attachments. It is actually a better food processor than the one I had and got rid of the old one. I have a rocket blender and a big blender but if ever the rocket blender dies I wouldn't have to replace it - and just use the immersion blender.

BTW, I have the Breville

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I love the immersion blender as well. It's the best for making a soup nice and creamy. I also have a hand chopper that works really well for small amounts of things, like chopping nuts for baking. It looks something like this (mine is really old):
1708186627306.png

I agree with @Lou that an immersion blender is great, as is a Bullet type blender, I use both of those way more than my high speed food processor - I have had one of those choppers and also a larger slicer/grater which I never use.... the knife is my best friend and I find it simplest to use and clean.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou and PTree15
I hate chopping vegetables. Sure knives are good. I like them, too. but I can't stand to chop onions. Even tried wearing my swim goggles and breathing thru my mouth but I still tear up so bad. But I can get thur quartering an onion so it can go in the food processor.

Anyway, I bought something like this that I had seen on TV.
It was a waste of money.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
At Trader Joe's they have a pint of chopped veggies. Onions, carrots, and celery. I'll buy one of those almost every time I'm in there. So many of my recipes call for those 3 veggies.

Reactions: PTree15
I hate chopping vegetables. Sure knives are good. I like them, too. but I can't stand to chop onions. Even tried wearing my swim goggles and breathing thru my mouth but I still tear up so bad. But I can get thur quartering an onion so it can go in the food processor.

Anyway, I bought something like this that I had seen on TV.
It was a waste of money.

Those are such a bad design! They begin by pushing the food away, against blades, so by the time you get to the middle it's all bogged down.
Waaaayyyyyy back in the beginning of gadgetry, Popeil came out with the Veggi-matic, which brought the blades directly down on the food, and made of steel. I came across one in a thrift store and wish I'd have bought it, I sometimes talk myself of things too much

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Ah yes, an immersion blender, yes, that is what I need, much more convenient, I will get one. And even good (I assume) for mashing avocados, so I don't have to use a fork or spoon (to get the mush out of the blender container is more work than anything else, I guess, this is much easier with an immersion blender).

Many thanks for the links.

The Breville looks good. I have a kitchen machine that would always have to be converted for different uses, so completely pointless/ridiculous. I suspect that with the Breville this is quick and easy.

I once had a hand chopper for many years that I hadn't used once, a few days later after I threw it away I would have needed it (for crushing almonds/nuts, I chop with a knife). I need to get a new one.

Yes, the cleaning of many Kitchen appliances is a problem. Shredding takes a fraction of the time, but cleaning takes twice (or longer) as long as if it had been done by hand.

Even tried wearing my swim goggles and breathing thru my mouth but I still tear up so bad.
I would not have expected this. Even with swimming goggles, when no air can reach the eyes (I could imagine that it would make a strange impression on the visit if one also wore arm floats and swimming fins when cutting onions). Have you ever tried not to hold your head above the onions when cutting, but in front of them (and maybe a little deeper)? So that the head is not above the rising substances of the onion. That works for me, I believe.

It was a waste of money.

Amazon.com
But I've seen similar devices in a few videos, something for cutting French fries for example and others that worked really fast / great there. So there must be also good ones, I believe.

Ah yes, an immersion blender, yes, that is what I need, much more convenient, I will get one. And even good (I assume) for mashing avocados, so I don't have to use a fork or spoon (to get the mush out of the blender container is more work than anything else, I guess, this is much easier with an immersion blender).

Many thanks for the links.

Yes, the cleaning of many Kitchen appliances is a problem. Shredding takes a fraction of the time, but cleaning takes twice (or longer) as long as if it had been done by hand.
I use the food processor adaptor with the Breville. All I need is a plastic spatuala to get the stuff out of the container than I just hand wash it. although nothing special about the Breville - any small food processor works as well.

I would not have expected this. Even with swimming goggles, when no air can reach the eyes
I think the thing that helps the most is not to breath thru the nose. but even so - maybe I should also use the snorkel.

Someone told me to do the onions under water. but I never figured out how to do that.

This recipe calls for a potato masher. but I never had good luck with it. Now with the breville's food processing attachment I just have to remember what the setting for the speed should be. and if I can't remember just start at one and work up till it looks good.
One reason I love this recipe is that it makes for good sandwiches (and pita filling). Hand foods for lunch has always been a bit challenging once I got away from deli slices and cheese.

Without knowing your price point, storage, or what all you want to do, it's hard to customize recommendations.
Do you want something to make hummus, or more than one serving of quacamole or salsa? or mostly for blending, and small amounts of chopping.
You may do well getting an immersion blender that had the small processing bowl for chopping things, like this-
When I got my last food processor I bought this one. It's lightweight, easy storage, and does a good job on everything, but not for things like kneading dough,, or seitan-

Reactions: Lou
I use the food processor adaptor with the Breville. All I need is a plastic spatuala to get the stuff out of the container than I just hand wash it. although nothing special about the Breville - any small food processor works as well.

I think the thing that helps the most is not to breath thru the nose. but even so - maybe I should also use the snorkel.

Someone told me to do the onions under water. but I never figured out how to do that.

This recipe calls for a potato masher. but I never had good luck with it. Now with the breville's food processing attachment I just have to remember what the setting for the speed should be. and if I can't remember just start at one and work up till it looks good.
One reason I love this recipe is that it makes for good sandwiches (and pita filling). Hand foods for lunch has always been a bit challenging once I got away from deli slices and cheese.

My eyes haven't burned or watered chopping onions for years! I wonder if I changed, or the onions I buy?
The only thing that gave me relief was having a cloth to dab, then sticking my head in the freezer after I was done.

So better to buy a cheap(er) one that is no worse, and if necessary, to buy another kitchen appliance that one really needs. OK.

Apparently, these substances from the onion don't even have to get into the eyes to make them water, but through the nose or the mouth. Odd.

Well, so if you have swim goggles / a diving equipment anyway and had a swimming pool...but...well well, so somehow it seems that chopping onions always ends strangely (but without watering eyes...maybe).

Many thanks for the link! Looks extremely good the recipe. Never heard of Edamame, maybe not avialable here, maybe regular beans would work too (with a slightly different taste...or a completely different one). But that is hard to believe: Prep Time: 5 minutes

Well, so if you have swim goggles / a diving equipment anyway and had a swimming pool...but...well well, so somehow it seems that chopping onions always ends strangely (but without watering eyes...maybe).
Maybe if I put a cutting board in the sink and filled it with water.

Many thanks for the link! Looks extremely good the recipe. Never heard of Edamame, maybe not avialable here, maybe regular beans would work too (with a slightly different taste...or a completely different one). But that is hard to believe: Prep Time: 5 minutes
edamame is just cooked baby soybeans. look in the frozen food section .

Maybe if I put a cutting board in the sink and filled it with water.
To keep the cutting board on the ground might be a bit inconvenient (guess wood, plastic would come to the surface). And you had to get the onion pieces out of the water. Maybe a few nutrients are lost and / or some taste or crunch because of the water.

Why is a wet towel placed under the cutting board when cutting onions?
But, by laying down a wet paper towel on your cutting board, it'll be drawn toward that instead of toward your wet eyeballs. The paper towel catches the acid before it reaches the atmosphere. For even stronger prevention, feel free to double up on irritant-redirecting tactics.

What is the water trick for onions?
How to Cut Onions Without Crying—For Real This Time | Epicurious
Farrimond recommends cutting onions near a strong fan that's blowing away from you. He also suggests cutting the onions under running water, but says that submerging and cutting the onions in a large bowl of water is even more effective (the danger involved in this method outweighs the advantage, in my opinion).

Thank you for the link, can't get access:
F2YAdPV.png

But yes, obviously there might be at least one or two shops I could try it.

• Love
Reactions: Lou
At Trader Joe's they have a pint of chopped veggies. Onions, carrots, and celery. I'll buy one of those almost every time I'm in there. So many of my recipes call for those 3 veggies.

might I suggest that you buy that frozen instead of fresh as there is just so much opportunity for the fresh to pick up bacteria etc - frozen you can take as much or as little as you like and it is sitting there waiting for you

also I don't have any issue at all with onions and I think it is because my knife is sharp and if your knife is sharp it doesn't damage the cells as much and so there is less/no crying involved - I cut onion/s at least once per day

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
might I suggest that you buy that frozen instead of fresh as there is just so much opportunity for the fresh to pick up bacteria etc - frozen you can take as much or as little as you like and it is sitting there waiting for you

You suggested this before and I have looked in the three stores I go to and they don't have it.
only trader joes has the fresh celery/onion/carrot mix. The supermarket, Safeway, sometimes has it but usually just chopped onions. That is the main thing.
I plan out my meals ahead of time and TJs is just a 5 minute walk away - so they don't sit for very long.
oh hey, do you think I can buy the fresh ones and then put them in the freezer? that would be convienent.

also I don't have any issue at all with onions and I think it is because my knife is sharp and if your knife is sharp it doesn't damage the cells as much and so there is less/no crying involved - I cut onion/s at least once per day

I think my knife is sharp. It's a very expensive model I got a few xmases ago. I've got one of those thingies to sharpen it which I use almost every time I use it. I will have to test it with that trick the guy on the video used.

this is the kind of knife sharpener I have

You suggested this before and I have looked in the three stores I go to and they don't have it.
only trader joes has the fresh celery/onion/carrot mix. The supermarket, Safeway, sometimes has it but usually just chopped onions. That is the main thing.
I plan out my meals ahead of time and TJs is just a 5 minute walk away - so they don't sit for very long.
oh hey, do you think I can buy the fresh ones and then put them in the freezer? that would be convienent.

You likely could freeze them - I would suggest that you spread them out on a tray in the freezer and then once frozen put them in a ziploc. I haven't googled rules for freezing onions etc but I think it is likely simple. Wow, I can't believe your grocery stores don't have a good mix of frozen veggies - I can get almost every combination possible. My new favourite is the diced onion, celery, carrots and bell peppers.

Here is what we have access to:

Emma JC

Wow, I can't believe your grocery stores don't have a good mix of frozen veggies - I can get almost every combination possible. My new favourite is the diced onion, celery, carrots and bell peppers.
we do have a lot of different kinds. Just not the combo of celery, onions, and carrot.

I just went online and checked....
We have carrots, corn and green beans.
brocoli, carrots and cauliflower,
green beans, carrots, peas and corn
peas and carrots
red, green, and yellow pepper strips

and a bunch of stir fry versions ( I don't like them - they always come out a bit soggy)
and the newest thing is ones for roasting : roasted peppers and onions, there are also a few with potatoes. I've tried the roasting versions but I'm not sold on them either.

I freeze mirepoix all the time, but I use it as a convenience when I want to get soup on very early in the morning. I just dice up the onions, carrots, and celery and freeze in individual portions. I just cut up the veg and straight into the bags it goes. The reasons I do it separately are, often I'm not cutting the vegetables up at the same time, I can adjust the ratio of each ingredient depending on the situation, and I reuse the bags as much as possible.

I also freeze red and green bell peppers for use in Louisiana inspired foods or in chili.

Usually store bought frozen veg is just defrosted and eaten as some sort of salad. Green beans and peas my favorites, but I've never done it with broccoli. I suspect it would because the only way I've found commercially frozen broccoli palatable is to "water saute" it in a stainless pan adding small amounts of water till it's heated. I really love broccoli so we almost always have fresh on hand.

• Informative