Food processor recommendations?

I'd have to check whether mine is a Cuisinart or a KitchenAid.

what I would recommend is that, unless you really have a need for a large one, get a somewhat smaller one.

The one I have currently is a sort of medium sized one, with more tools than I use. I find that I use it a lot more than I ever did the full sized ones I've had previously, simply because it's not as awkward to get out and put away.

I paid less than $100 for it, on sale.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
@Lou I find that if I use a sharp knife I get no onion blowback whatsoever - occasionally I forget and use the larger knife that isn't so sharp - boom tears de oignon...

Emma JC

I have very sharp knives. Just peeling the skin off is enough to get me tearing. Sometimes a recipe calls for a half of onion which I might have already peeled in the frig. Then I feel like it's not worth taking out the FP. I can just barely get through a half onion with my swim goggles if I hold my breath.

I have very sharp knives. Just peeling the skin off is enough to get me tearing. Sometimes a recipe calls for a half of onion which I might have already peeled in the frig. Then I feel like it's not worth taking out the FP. I can just barely get through a half onion with my swim goggles if I hold my breath.

Yeah, different people have different levels of tolerance. Also, I find that I am more sensitive to onions on some days than on others.

It's not the tears I mind - sometimes the pain in my eyes can be quite bad, and I feel the after effects for hours. Then, on other days, no problem.

I have a 20yr old 14c Cuisinart, a Vitamix and a Breville 'immersion kit', which included not only the immersion wand but also a mini processor. I sorta hate them all. The Cuisinart is too big now that I have time to chop and mince my vegetables. (When I first got it, I used it for dinner EVERY night. I was tired, and it made magic happen.) The Vitamix turns things to soup too fast, but does make a mean nut butter and can make quality grain flour. (sadly, I don't smoothie, which was why we bought it) The Breville wand does thicken soups as advertised and it won't ruin pans/pots, but I rarely use it. I've collected these gadgets through the years as one does via thoughtful loved ones.

(Most days, because I have the time, I use a knife to do everything aside from grinding grain or nuts.)

Maybe I'm suffering from a case of the grass is greener, but I envy Ninja owners. It seems smaller with more incorporated accessories. Ninja does it all. I wish you success in your shopping, because only you know what you need and how much time you have to spare.

*fixed link, sorry

Last edited:
I have a 20yr old 14c Cuisinart, a Vitamix and a Breville 'immersion kit', which included not only the immersion wand but also a mini processor. I sorta hate them all. The Cuisinart is too big now that I have time to chop and mince my vegetables. (When I first got it, I used it for dinner EVERY night. I was tired, and it made magic happen.) The Vitamix turns things to soup too fast, but does make a mean nut butter and can make quality grain flour. (sadly, I don't smoothie, which was why we bought it) The Breville wand does thicken soups as advertised and it won't ruin pans/pots, but I rarely use it. I've collected these gadgets through the years as one does via thoughtful loved ones.

Maybe I'm suffering from a case of the grass is greener, but I envy Ninja owners. It seems smaller with more incorporated accessories. Ninja does it all. I wish you success in your shopping, because only you know what you need and how much time you have to spare.

I can't open your link but have a Ninja blender which makes excellent smoothies/soups/frozen banana pudding/etc.

I despise food processors or chopping mechanisms that first require you to chop something before putting it in and chopping some more. Utterly ridiculous. I might as well save the extra dishes and chop by hand first since I have a knife and cutting board out already.

For a food processor, I have the Cuisinart Pro Classic 7-cup. It's got a powerful enough motor in it to handle pulverizing dates (even dry ones), and make nut butters - even coconut butter - without burning out. I use it to make energy balls, nut butters, breads, grate large quantities of fruits or veg, etc. I love it. It has a nice compact design, too, and an optional flat lid so you don't have to use the lid with the chute on it, which can be cumbersome if you don't need that feature at all.

For a blender I have a Blendtec. It's a high-powered blender, but it's not quite as versatile as a Vitamix - you can't slowly speed it up and it doesn't have a tamper to help you move things around, but it still gets the job done nicely. I use it to make oat or buckwheat flours, cashew queso, dressings, sauces, and of course, smoothies.

I just got a Kitchen Aid immersion blender as a gift. I love it for pureeing soups, mostly - so I don't have to transfer stuff to my blender and back. Although my blender guarantees a silky, creamy texture, while the immersion blender can leave lumps unless I want to stand there for 20 minutes continually blending.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I despise food processors or chopping mechanisms that first require you to chop something before putting it in and chopping some more. Utterly ridiculous. I might as well save the extra dishes and chop by hand first since I have a knife and cutting board out already.

For a food processor, I have the Cuisinart Pro Classic 7-cup. It's got a powerful enough motor in it to handle pulverizing dates (even dry ones), and make nut butters - even coconut butter - without burning out. I use it to make energy balls, nut butters, breads, grate large quantities of fruits or veg, etc. I love it. It has a nice compact design, too, and an optional flat lid so you don't have to use the lid with the chute on it, which can be cumbersome if you don't need that feature at all.

For a blender I have a Blendtec. It's a high-powered blender, but it's not quite as versatile as a Vitamix - you can't slowly speed it up and it doesn't have a tamper to help you move things around, but it still gets the job done nicely. I use it to make oat or buckwheat flours, cashew queso, dressings, sauces, and of course, smoothies.

I just got a Kitchen Aid immersion blender as a gift. I love it for pureeing soups, mostly - so I don't have to transfer stuff to my blender and back. Although my blender guarantees a silky, creamy texture, while the immersion blender can leave lumps unless I want to stand there for 20 minutes continually blending.

Cuisinart FP are of excellent quality and not too expensive compared to some other brands.

Found them in the local electronics and home appliances shop. They are available right now (there's no need to order them online, i.e. you can go to the shop, pay for them and take them home). If i understand it correctly,- they chop foods, and that's what i need at the moment. Could you tell me pls, is any of them worth it? Have you dealt with any of them (or similar ones)? Thanks.:flower:
IMG_20200222_141925.jpg

IMG_20200222_142009.jpg

IMG_20200222_142059.jpg

IMG_20200222_142141.jpg

Fun facts:
1. I chopped the tip of my index finger off once whist chopping green onions. I still use my chef's knife, but I curl my fingers now when I use it.
2. I live in an old house that's never had a dishwasher. The counters are too small to even fit one. I detest washing dishes, but I probably wouldn't use one if I had one.

I still like my Cuisiniart Mini-Prep for making hummus. Exactly fits my recipe that uses 1 can of garbanzo beans and everything else. Can't do that with a Chef's knife. Super easy to clean. I love the Ninja for making smoothies, but apparently I don't own it as my son has taken it over. He takes it with him when he goes to his dad's since his dad doesn't have a blender of any kind. ...I miss my stick blender. I'm thinking of getting a really nice one like yours, @Lou . As I've gotten older, I've learned the value of spending more $ to get something nicer if it's going to last. Having to buy stuff over and over again gets old.

Does anyone know how much dry garbanzo beans it takes to make the amount of beans in a regular size can of them?

Does anyone know how much dry garbanzo beans it takes to make the amount of beans in a regular size can of them?
Approximately 3/4 cup of dry beans.
Not at all sure what shyvas is basing her est on, but one 15oz. can is equal to 1.5 cups of cooked beans, and bean double in volume once cooked.

When recipes call for a measure of dry beans soaked it's usually measured in dry volume or weight, then soaked. Not measured after soaking

• Agree
Reactions: Val and Mischief
Fun facts:
1. I chopped the tip of my index finger off once whist chopping green onions. I still use my chef's knife, but I curl my fingers now when I use it.
2. I live in an old house that's never had a dishwasher. The counters are too small to even fit one. I detest washing dishes, but I probably wouldn't use one if I had one.

I still like my Cuisiniart Mini-Prep for making hummus. Exactly fits my recipe that uses 1 can of garbanzo beans and everything else. Can't do that with a Chef's knife. Super easy to clean. I love the Ninja for making smoothies, but apparently I don't own it as my son has taken it over. He takes it with him when he goes to his dad's since his dad doesn't have a blender of any kind. ...I miss my stick blender. I'm thinking of getting a really nice one like yours, @Lou . As I've gotten older, I've learned the value of spending more $ to get something nicer if it's going to last. Having to buy stuff over and over again gets old.

I always had trouble trying to figure that out, so I end up just cooking half of a 1 lb. bag and I usually have some left over for making a chickpea salad or cutlets after making the hummus. I need to measure how many cups are in a can and go from there. My recipe (from Veganomicon) uses two cans of chickpeas.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I always had trouble trying to figure that out, so I end up just cooking half of a 1 lb. bag and I usually have some left over for making a chickpea salad or cutlets after making the hummus. I need to measure how many cups are in a can and go from there. My recipe (from Veganomicon) uses two cans of chickpeas.
you don't believe me? :dismay:

Reactions: Lou and Val

I don't bother measuring pulses/legumes before cooking as I will freeze small batches in ziplock bags. I tend to cook a whole bag of dried pulses as it works out cheaper to batch cook. ;)

Perhaps this link may prove helpful for those who like to have exact quantities for cooking :

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Food processor is key part of my kitchen and it has been making my life easir for last many years.
My KitchenAid is still going strong 11 years on, has been well used for chopping, grating, mixing, blending and whisking etc.
But now there are other quality options available for food processors. Few of them listed here The 10 Best Selling Food Processors Of 2021 It depends what our need and requirements are and then choosing the right food processor is viable.