US Product Thread

I'm so intrigued by the provolone slices even though I'm not a big fan of Daiya. I miss provolone cheese.

Tofurky's chicken and apple sausages sound interesting as well.

And Beyond Meat!! Hopefully the retail packages won't be Beyond affordable.
I tried Beyond Meat in a Whole Foods' dish, and I thought it was kind of bland, but it could have just been a boring recipe. I can't remember what the bird chicken tastes like, really, so I can't compare. I never liked it, so maybe Beyond Meat is like bird chicken after all; I don't like either! ;)

I was able to buy a bag of beyond meat, I think it's what's usually sold to food service companies, the bag is huge and doesn't have the usual retail packaging. I think it came to about $7.50 a pound. When I tasted a piece of it plain, I also found it very bland. I think that is what real chicken tastes like. :confused:

I used it to make chicken salad sandwiches and also tried it in a wrap and it was delicious. I've also used it in a stir fry and with some rice and veggies. I need to find more ways to use it, I still have a ton of it left.

After I do use it up, I think I'll stick with Gardein. I like their seasoning and the price is about the same.

Hey, gunna join in on the product thread from the other side of the pond!
I'm going to N.C. To visit my mum this weekend. She usually shops and Walmart or sometimes Food Lion. She will have little to nothing suitable for vegans in the house. Can anyone recommend some brands of things to buy when I get there...some fake meats, crisps (chips for u guys lol), sweets or dairy free chocolate. Are your Oreos sfv? What are the vegan cheeses like over there?
Iv seen that Taco Bell is a good place to eat out. What about the pizza places? Are the sauces and bases ok if u ask for no cheese?
Does anyone eat at Golden Coral? Anything suitable there?
Thanks everyone! :-D xxx

297056_571860282832813_288888773_n.jpg
Now this should be interesting. I'm a huge fan of Gardein's beefless tips and it appears that they will be adding quite a few new beefless products to their line. I just hope their sauces improve. I think they're horrible.

I'm going to N.C. To visit my mum this weekend. She usually shops and Walmart or sometimes Food Lion. She will have little to nothing suitable for vegans in the house. Can anyone recommend some brands of things to buy when I get there...some fake meats, crisps (chips for u guys lol), sweets or dairy free chocolate. Are your Oreos sfv? What are the vegan cheeses like over there?
Iv seen that Taco Bell is a good place to eat out. What about the pizza places? Are the sauces and bases ok if u ask for no cheese?

Walmart carries Boca products, Morningstar Farms, and Amys if you are looking for veggie burgers and other mock meats. They also carry tofu, soy, almond , rice and coconut milks. Lightlife products which are deli slices and So Delicious vegan ice cream. Of course Walmart has the usual staples such as beans, rices, fruits, and veggies. I am not familiar with Food Lion though but if they carry Tofurky or Gardein products, definitely try those out.

Check out www.happycow.net to find some local vegan restaurants and www.veganeatingout.com is also a fantastic resource that lists what vegan options you have at certain restaurants. Where in NC will you be? Some areas are really vegan friendly and have an impressive veggie population.

For pizza, Papa Johns is vegan crust and sauce, I get a veggie with no cheese and ask to double the veggies.

Taco Bell has bean burritos, say no cheese. Also a few other vegan things but I haven't been there for awhile.

Walmart sucks for vegans tbh. Most of their veggie biugers etc aren't vegan. No vegan cheese. Gardein is, they should have a few of those, but most Morningstar (except riblets) aren't vegan. I'm not familiar with Food Lion, but probably better than walmart.

If there is a Publix grocery, there is better stuff. Their bakery bread some is vegan, more gardein and daiya fake cheese.

Golden Corrall, idk. It's a buffet of SAD. Probably salad and bread.

Oreos are vegan! :-D Lots of crisps are vegan too.

Walmart carries Boca products, Morningstar Farms, and Amys if you are looking for veggie burgers and other mock meats. They also carry tofu, soy, almond , rice and coconut milks. Lightlife products which are deli slices and So Delicious vegan ice cream. Of course Walmart has the usual staples such as beans, rices, fruits, and veggies. I am not familiar with Food Lion though but if they carry Tofurky or Gardein products, definitely try those out.

Check out www.happycow.net to find some local vegan restaurants and www.veganeatingout.com is also a fantastic resource that lists what vegan options you have at certain restaurants. Where in NC will you be? Some areas are really vegan friendly and have an impressive veggie population.

Thanks! Will look out for those brands.
I tried happy cow but haven't tried the other yet.
I'll be in Southern Pines, about n hour from Charlotte I think so if we head that way ill try check out Bean! Xxx

For pizza, Papa Johns is vegan crust and sauce, I get a veggie with no cheese and ask to double the veggies.

Taco Bell has bean burritos, say no cheese. Also a few other vegan things but I haven't been there for awhile.

Walmart sucks for vegans tbh. Most of their veggie biugers etc aren't vegan. No vegan cheese. Gardein is, they should have a few of those, but most Morningstar (except riblets) aren't vegan. I'm not familiar with Food Lion, but probably better than walmart.

If there is a Publix grocery, there is better stuff. Their bakery bread some is vegan, more gardein and daiya fake cheese.

Golden Corrall, idk. It's a buffet of SAD. Probably salad and bread.

Oreos are vegan! :-D Lots of crisps are vegan too.

Thanks, looks like il be ok for a few weeks then!
Glad to hear about the Oreos, I knew they didn't have any dairy in but wasn't sure about the sugar over there :) xxx

Thanks! Will look out for those brands.
I tried happy cow but haven't tried the other yet.
I'll be in Southern Pines, about n hour from Charlotte I think so if we head that way ill try check out Bean! Xxx

There's a Mellow Mushroom there!!! I've never been to one but they are supposed to have fabulous vegan pizza!
This place looks amazing also: http://www.spicecafe.co/Spice_Cafe/Home.html

Here's another list of vegan items that you will probably come across during your visit:

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx

Just double check the ingredients because on some rare occasions companies decide to mess with them.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
When you check the ingredients, dairy and eggs SHOULD be listed at the end in the allergen warning. (Though I've seen products with dairy in the ingredients but not in the allergen warning, not sure how they get away with that.) As always, watch out for products that say "lactose free," those usually do have dairy ingredients.

My local grocery stores carry TONS of Galaxy cheese subs, but they're all the non-dairy-but-actually-have-dairy varieties. Sadness.

Many items at Taco Bell can be made vegan by asking for no meat, no cheese. The "fresco" menu subs pico de gallo in place of cheese. You can also request to sub beans for meat on any item, but it varies by location if they charge extra or not.

There's a Mellow Mushroom there!!! I've never been to one but they are supposed to have fabulous vegan pizza!
Yes, it is the best pizza ever (the one in Florida). You can choose to have Daiya cheese, and the hand tossed vegan crust and toppings are really good. It is very expensive, but there are often online coupons, and non-veggies love the food there too. And a great beer selection. :)
Here is a vegan pizza that we ate at Mellow Mushroom.
:D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363796038390.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363796038390.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: Calliegirl
If you eat at Taco Bell, double check your food before eating it. I have had to return items more than a few times when they didn't replace the meat with beans.

My local grocery stores carry TONS of Galaxy cheese subs, but they're all the non-dairy-but-actually-have-dairy varieties. Sadness.

I HATE those! Its like really, what's the point of making friggin soy cheese if you're going to throw milk in it. And they do sell them everywhere, which is annoying.

To Catlady: skip taco bell and hit up Qdoba or Chipotle, if they have them there. Much more vegan friendly and tastier, imho.

Do any of the standard supermarkets like Von's, Stater Bros sell other brands of vegan cheese, as I didn't find Daiya products there ?
Besides SB's what other stores sell Gardein ? I had difficultes in finding their products. If I rightly remember Target only sells Morning Star and Boca burgers ?

Do any of the standard supermarkets like Von's, Stater Bros sell other brands of vegan cheese, as I didn't find Daiya products there ?
Besides SB's what other stores sell Gardein ? I had difficultes in finding their products. If I rightly remember Target only sells Morning Star and Boca burgers ?
Target sells gardein.