Prescription replacements?

Dolly

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi there

I am a life long vegetarian- now vegan 3 months. I wish I had done this years ago! I have found such an easy transition and feel alive from the health benefits. I am hoping someone can help me with the one problem I cant seem to avoid... Medicine.

I have recently recovered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but still sometimes struggle with aches and sleeping. I am nearly out of my prescription tablets 'amitriptyline' that work wonders taking away my aches and pains.

I am looking to replace this with something that hasn't been tested on animals. I understand the vegan view that medical issues are different- but if they can be avoided they should be. In this case I would much rather put up with the pain than contribute to animal testing. Its a long shot but if anyone has any suggestions I would be extremely grateful!

Also I know Superdrugs products are vegan but are there own brand tablets as I thought all non herbal medicine is animal tested?

Reactions: Second Summer
Hi Dolly and welcome. Medications and whether they have been animal tested, have vegan ingredients, etc are difficult issues. Compromising your health won't help any animals. I'm vegan and try to get pills or liquid rather than gelatin capsules if the med is available in that form. And i use medications that have been around awhile rather than new ones if possible to avoid at least recent animal tested medications.

Being vegan is doing what is possible and practicable. Don't put your health in jeopardy. [emoji255]

I second what ledboots said...well put.