Vegan Potato Leek Soup

RabbitLuvr

I love rabbits.
Reaction score
This is a very basic recipe, that I really love. It is easy, inexpensive, and filling. My husband likes it, too, and requests it often. I make it a lot in the winter.

Basic recipe:
2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced into thin rings
1-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1 quart veggie stock or water (I use 1-2 tsp Better Than Bouillon "No Chicken" plus one quart of water)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 to 1 cup MimicCreme or other non-dairy milk/cream (optional)

1. Melt the margarine or warm the oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. When the margarine or oil is hot, add the potatoes, leeks, and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 or 3 minutes.
2. Add the bouillon and water, and simmer until the veggies are very soft, about 20 minutes.
3. When the veggies are soft, turn off the heat and roughly mash just a few times with a potato masher. Leave
4. If using, stir in MimicCreme and heat the soup briefly.

Tips:
I try to have a roughly equal volume of leeks and potatoes. Maybe a little more potatoes, but about the same. The soup can be scaled up or down this way, just use more or less liquid, if necessary.

Sometimes I stir in fresh chopped chives or rosemary.

Sounds awesome. I made something very similar once and it was really good. :)

Isn't it just a really good, hearty recipe? Potatoes and leeks go so well together and are really delicious.

I've been using this recipe from Global Vegetarian, which is their version of this good winter soup:

• 4 - 5 medium size potatoes
  • 3 - 4 leeks, chopped
  • 1/2 medium size onion, chopped
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 tsp caraway seed
  • salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
By the way, do any of you eat Indian food? I've been dying to try it, but am unsure of soups and things like that.

My wife is making this but we don't have any leek in the kitchen so will use onion and zucchini.

Ingredients
For the Cashew Cream

• 1 cup cashews - (see note)
  • 1/2 cup water
For the Potato Leek Soup
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 Not Chick'n Broth Cubes
  • 4 cups cubed yellow potatoes - 1" cubes
  • 2 leeks sliced into 1/2" pieces - white part only (see note)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves - discard the stems, plus extra for garnish

@thinman
Nice job on finding an old and neglected thread. I put your recipe in my recipe collection. I'm going to have to ask the grocer where the Leeks are. I don't know if I have ever seen one (or ate one).

Although I posted in the "Favorite TV ads" thread an ad for leek flavored cereal. I think. It's all in Japanese (i think) and its hard to be sure.

@thinman
Nice job on finding an old and neglected thread. I put your recipe in my recipe collection. I'm going to have to ask the grocer where the Leeks are. I don't know if I have ever seen one (or ate one).

Although I posted in the "Favorite TV ads" thread an ad for leek flavored cereal. I think. It's all in Japanese (i think) and its hard to be sure.

1600297763361.pngI've never bothered with leeks, just used a mild onion. They're often sandy, like you need to really soak and spread apart the green leaves. Tasted and looks like huge green onion. They are nutritious.
Trader Joes sells them frozen, but I bought them once and thought they had a very 'frozen' taste, and watery. Should be around the fresh dark greens
I do like these recipes, but will use onions and chopped green onions most likely! Good with vegan cheddar

Reactions: Lou
My wife is making this but we don't have any leek in the kitchen so will use onion and zucchini.
  • 4 cups cubed yellow potatoes - 1" cubes

How many pounds of potatoes do you think you need to make 4 cups of cubed?

@thinman

Have you ever been to Sprout's Famers Market or similar store as they always stock leeks ? The latter taste so different to onions and don't contain much sulphur and have a much milder taste. Leeks make the most tasty dishes and soups and are very good for the health. They have far more nutrients compared to onions.
When I make leek soup, I only use the green part of the vegetable. It's important to trim the upper part and remove any tough leaves, cut them crosswise and either soak in water or just clean out any sand before chopping them finely by swirling in a bowl of water. My favourite leek soups are leek & sweet potato or leek and bean soup.

I usually cook the white part seperately in some oil and gently saute/steam them. They make wonderful fillings for pies/tarts or can be served as a side dish with a sprinkle of mustard seeds.

I would say that you need equal amounts of potatoes to leeks if you're using the former to make a soup. I neither make soup with potatoes. Don't forget soups don't have to have exact amounts of vegetables. Go freestyle and chuck away the soup recipes, as it's fun to make up recipes and experiment using different ingredients/vegetables,pulses(legumes) etc.
Another important tip is to garnish; croutons,crispy fried onions, toasted nuts, a drizzle of oil or pb cream and a sprinkle of yeast flakes or smoked paprika etc, etc.....

The Recipe section isn't an old thread as it's a section or sub-forum within the F&D forum ::)

@thinman

Green onion (spring onion) and it's Korean. The vegetables look huge in the ad and may be a different variety to the ones we have over here. Or they may have used leeks to make the TV Ad.;)

I prefer leeks to onions. I haven't made this soup in a while. It's not the right weather here yet.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas