Potato diet

Anonymous Name

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
ive heard people all over the internet claim the potato diet being very successful. Like that guy who was on the news and I’ve even heard some go as far to say it cured emotional eating. Some claim they will eat this way for life but it makes me think is it a great transition to a vegan diet. Even though it is vegan to eat 80-90% potatoes 10% vegetables/supplements. Been vegan for a month but not eating enough and considering this as a “transition” for a healthy vegan diet. Let’s start a discussion!

Reactions: betiPT
it's possible but you're going to have to eat like 10 potatoes a day. I would get sick of that very quickly

it's possible but you're going to have to eat like 10 potatoes a day. I would get sick of that very quickly
That’s possible. But the potato has every nutrient our body needs except d3 and b12. Adding the vegetables will simply be more like a boost but eating only potatoes is like the healthy way of drinking a Red Bull or coffee in that your not drinking it for the taste but rather the effect.

I loved the book and the movie The Martian. And the book went into the science of the potato diet a little bit. But I hadn't heard of it being something people did on Earth.

Just for giggles, I plugged a potato diet into Cronometer.
Typically a good weight loss diet is about 1600 calories a day. And it took 10 baked potatoes to reach that.
at that point you are below the RDA of fat. Not sure if that is a problem on a weight loss diet.
Protein is just 43 g. I think 40 is the bare minimum requirement of protein - so that is probably ok. But there are five amino acids that are below the RDA. I'm not sure if that would present a problem if the diet was kept up long term.

There are a number of vitamins in short supply. B1, B2, B12, Choline, A, D, E, and K. But just like the Martian that can be solved with a multivitamin.

And there are a few minerals that are short. Selenium and Zinc. Plus calcium is really low. So a calcium supplement will be required.

I'm almost sure I could not eat 10 baked potatoes a day for very long - even if I wanted to. Maybe if you could mix it up. Hash browns for breakfast. french fries for lunch. Potato soup for dinner with some potato bread.

"the guy who was on the news" was Andrew Taylor aka SpudFit

He, very successfully, did an all potato diet for a year (under medical supervision) and did cure many things, including emotional issues. His website is easy to find and his story is encouraging.

I am of the opinion that potatoes are a great way to transition into a plant based life style as they come in so many different varieties and they can be cooked many different ways.

No reason for it to be only potatoes, although you are correct they have a huge number of vitamins/minerals/nutrients. You can add spices and fats in the form of tahini or avocado or nut butters or cashew sauces etc. Add some greens and even some beans/chili etc.

53d5499cd2bd6448d6bcbca594adea727cf4588b

Emma JC

Since spudfit was mentioned, I think it's important to remember that Andrew mixed in plenty of sweet potatoes a short while into his 1 year journey for the added nutrients, so it wasn't just white potatoes. He also mixed in varied spices and sauces to keep it interesting, and his diet was free of oil. It's probably best to visit his website if someone is considering it. https://spudfit.com/

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
I don't like potatoes very much...a least not without unhealthy amounts of oil and salt.

But if you're going to base your diet primarily around a single food they make a good choice.

Dr. McDougall has some great information on nutrition and he advocates a starch-based diet:

If you're still transitioning though I wouldn't limit yourself. Eat as much as you want of any vegan food you want. Try lots of new foods. If you have an international district/"chinatown" nearby the grocery stores can have some unique produce. Farmers markets usually have pretty interesting foods too. April and May are good months for specialty produce. Ramps and morels are a favorite spring combination for me.

I forget who but I remember someone on this board saying that one of the great things about being vegan is you don't have to eat the same 5 dead animals over and over again. If you're still feeling out what it's like to be vegan don't let your impression be that it's boring and limiting.

I think this is an extremely foolish diet that would leave most people bored with their food and feeling deprived. It's actually what is referred to as a "monofast." It's a form of fasting to only eat one or two foods for longer than a day. It also looks terrible to people on the outside, it actually looks like you're starving yourself, that you're embracing an utterly abnormal way of life, and the fact that you have to take more than a just one or two supplements (B12 and D are pretty common) reinforces the idea that veganism is unhealthy malnourishment.

That being said, people can technically live off of potatoes, it's happened for working class and poor people in Europe long before the word "vegan" existed. In countries like Ireland and Russia you could have lived off of potatoes and dairy milk for extended periods of time, most likely in winter when it was more difficult to obtain other foods.

I would never go on a monofast for longer than a week and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

... and I would not suggest anyone go on it for a year or any specific period of time. It is a way to help in a transition as you can eat lots of them, they are tasty and will help to keep the calorie count higher without adding loads of fats. Just like Dr McDougall's suggestion for including whole grain/sprouted breads in meals. It helps with satiation and that full feeling and is a great tool for someone trying to slowing eat a more plant based diet. If they eat the bread first then they won't eat as much of the more calorie dense animal products.

In the past I would never have thought of cooking 3 or 4 white potatoes and a large sweet potato for two of us for a meal and now I don't hesitate. If I don't have gravy then I put vinegar and or hot sauce or both with lots of pepper, some salt and turmeric etc.

Emma JC

In the past I would never have thought of cooking 3 or 4 white potatoes and a large sweet potato for two of us for a meal and now I don't hesitate. If I don't have gravy then I put vinegar and or hot sauce or both with lots of pepper, some salt and turmeric etc.

Emma JC
My favorite way of eating potatoes is to steam them in the instant pot (I usually do a large batch then refrigerate/freeze them for later or else they'll spoil) is to top them with a little soy sauce, avocado, S&P, green onions, and sesame seeds :)

@TofuRobot

I will have to try that (in MY Instant Pot). BTW, what is S&P? Some kind of weird Southern Califonia thing? Sauer Kraut and Peas? Salsa and Pretzels? Sodium bisulfite and Potassium bisulfite? j/k

I have been convinced for a long time that I don't eat enough potatoes. I even eat less of them now than before I became vegan because I used to bake them and have them with Butter, sour cream or cheese. Or have tater tots for breakfast. Now mostly I include them in things like lentil stew or an occasional batch of home fries.

I loved the book and the movie The Martian. And the book went into the science of the potato diet a little bit. But I hadn't heard of it being something people did on Earth.

Just for giggles, I plugged a potato diet into Cronometer.
Typically a good weight loss diet is about 1600 calories a day. And it took 10 baked potatoes to reach that.
at that point you are below the RDA of fat. Not sure if that is a problem on a weight loss diet.
Protein is just 43 g. I think 40 is the bare minimum requirement of protein - so that is probably ok. But there are five amino acids that are below the RDA. I'm not sure if that would present a problem if the diet was kept up long term.

There are a number of vitamins in short supply. B1, B2, B12, Choline, A, D, E, and K. But just like the Martian that can be solved with a multivitamin.

And there are a few minerals that are short. Selenium and Zinc. Plus calcium is really low. So a calcium supplement will be required.

I'm almost sure I could not eat 10 baked potatoes a day for very long - even if I wanted to. Maybe if you could mix it up. Hash browns for breakfast. french fries for lunch. Potato soup for dinner with some potato bread.
I did too punch it in on cronometer and if I consider doing something like this. I would personally increment cooked vegetables to the mix. Although I’m not doing it for weight loss but merely for just to eat healthier in general. I put in 60 oz of normal russet potatoes, 60 oz of red potatoes, 2.5 cups cooked spinach, and 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds. I found that it fills every nutrient we need in the day with the exception of B12 and D3. It totaled to around 3000 calories. I understand where it can be dangerous getting too much of certain vitamins and minerals but as said it wouldn’t be permenant. It’s easy to prepare and it’s cheap. Possibly be a good start for anyone just to start plant based vegan diet free of junk. But I don’t know. There are risks with any measure you take.

Reactions: Emma JC
I did too punch it in on cronometer and if I consider doing something like this. I would personally increment cooked vegetables to the mix. Although I’m not doing it for weight loss but merely for just to eat healthier in general. I put in 60 oz of normal russet potatoes, 60 oz of red potatoes, 2.5 cups cooked spinach, and 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds. I found that it fills every nutrient we need in the day with the exception of B12 and D3. It totaled to around 3000 calories. I understand where it can be dangerous getting too much of certain vitamins and minerals but as said it wouldn’t be permenant. It’s easy to prepare and it’s cheap. Possibly be a good start for anyone just to start plant based vegan diet free of junk. But I don’t know. There are risks with any measure you take.
I was off slightly in the cronometer calculation. 3.5 cups instead of 2.5 of the cooked spinach. For the selenium just eat half of a Brazil nut, and sodium if your really desperate like we don’t have enough sodium in our system already, eat a pickle but I doubt that is recommended.

Honestly the vast majority of people are eating far worse diets. I suppose i could say that i "jump started" my vegan--ess with a 7-day water-only fast. A potato diet is a lot less extreme. ;)

That sounds like a good plan. What do you think? Maybe a week or two? Might be a good way to get over some food addictions.

Honestly the vast majority of people are eating far worse diets. I suppose i could say that i "jump started" my vegan--ess with a 7-day water-only fast. A potato diet is a lot less extreme. ;)

Yes. I like the idea of a 7-Day Potato Jumpstart.
I would gain weight at 3000 calories a day. But for some people that is normal.

That sounds like a good plan. What do you think? Maybe a week or two? Might be a good way to get over some food addictions.
Possibly. That sounds like a good start. There was also over 100 grams of protein so that might be a good opportunity to build muscle.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I've not heard of the details of a potato or mostly-potato diet. I guess if you could get by eating just potatoes with a little supplement that would be OK. But why? I just love the sensual experience of all the different grains, fruits and veggies. Cooking with lots of spices, sauces, and textures enables me to eat a plant-based diet. At least so far. I guess I'm not that much of a stoic. I'd miss how good food is.

I don't believe most people would chose to be as extreme as Spudfit was however he had a number of physical and emotional issues that needed to be changed and this was his way of doing it and it worked for him and made him famous as well.

Emma JC