Posting death pictures of your pets on social networks

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
One of my FB friends posted a picture of her dog after she was put to sleep. I thought it was kind of gruesome, but didn't say anything. When I was talking to someone else about it, she said she does the same thing. Is this common? I don't understand why they wouldn't post a picture of their pet from when they were alive and happy.

I don't understand it. I don't even save pictures of mine from when they were ill or really old and infirm. I want to remember them in their prime.

I remember a friend of my parents, when I was a kid. She showed us photos she had taken of a family member in his coffin.

I wouldn't want a picture of any deceased pet of mine let alone want to post it to FB or any other forum. But I guess people grieve in all kinds of ways. Glad I've never come across any such postings.

I was seven when I went to my first "wake" of my great uncle which was held in the living room of his home. Very weird for me. My grandparents had pictures of their deceased relatives in their coffins. :no:

I would not post pictures like that. When Nick passed away recently, I posted a memorial pic of him when he was happy and healthy, and very much alive. That's how I want to remember him. I did not even take a picture of his body after he passed.

Reactions: thefadedone
Nooo! How could you even think to take a picture at that time!
Why would you want to look at them in death? But then people do pets taxidermied--:confused:
I did have a stuffed chuckwalla lizard someone had as a pet...

Oh yeah, there was something on television about that once. One lady had her cat "stuffed" and kept him in a basket by her sofa. She took him out of the basket and held him in her lap every day. Another had her kitten done dressed in a doll outfit complete with a hat and shoes-the works! Creepy..

Reactions: KLS52
Oh yeah, there was something on television about that once. One lady had her cat "stuffed" and kept him in a basket by her sofa. She took him out of the basket and held him in her lap every day. Another had her kitten done dressed in a doll outfit complete with a hat and shoes-the works! Creepy..

That's disgusting.

Reactions: FortyTwo
I'm so glad I've never come across this either. I have however seen pics of babies on FB. :(

I don't get taxidermy either. I think it's awful actually. Last year I got stuck in a town that was filled with hunters/fishers and taxidermists! I couldn't go into the local grocery store without seeing stuffed animals decorating the aisles and windows. Even the local coffee shop (which was oddly vegan friendly) was filled with these things. I ended up driving several towns over to get all my groceries and food because I couldn't deal with being assaulted by these poor animals everywhere else.

I was going to get a tattoo done at a tattoo parlour but when I walked in to get a quote there were stuffed dead animals everywhere. Needless to say I went somewhere else. I think they were trying to decorate in an edgy way but it put me right off!

:eek:

Went to a museum today, they always seem to have an obsession with taxidermy. I know most of them are probably >20 years old and there's nothing that can be done, but it just reminded me of this thread. Blegh. Freaks me out.

I'm not bothered by dead things, although I can't say I've taken photos of them either. I think museums are probably the only place I find suitable for taxidermy, though. It's like 'uncanny valley' but... actually yeah, it's the same thing. Why people use it for decorative reasons I will never know.

I understand being creeped out by taxidermy - and to have a pet used in such a way after it dies - that's just plain weird. A picture though? That's completely different. When our cat Sabra died, we put her in a specially made box (provided by the vet) upon which myself, my wife and daughter wrote farewell messages on. We also arranged some nice flowers in it. Okay - I get it - she was dead, but she sure looked peaceful, and really - quite natural. At first I was completely opposed to taking any pictures - but before I put her in the ground it seemed completely okay to want to record the moment.

Now - would I post that pic to Facebook or other site as a memorial? Hell no. But I do not regret taking those pictures for myself.

I'm not bothered by dead things, although I can't say I've taken photos of them either. I think museums are probably the only place I find suitable for taxidermy, though. It's like 'uncanny valley' but... actually yeah, it's the same thing. Why people use it for decorative reasons I will never know.

I believe uncanny valley is when something isn't human but looks very human, making it all the more inhuman, but otherwise I know exactly what you're talking about. :yuck:

I understand being creeped out by taxidermy - and to have a pet used in such a way after it dies - that's just plain weird. A picture though? That's completely different. When our cat Sabra died, we put her in a specially made box (provided by the vet) upon which myself, my wife and daughter wrote farewell messages on. We also arranged some nice flowers in it. Okay - I get it - she was dead, but she sure looked peaceful, and really - quite natural. At first I was completely opposed to taking any pictures - but before I put her in the ground it seemed completely okay to want to record the moment.

Now - would I post that pic to Facebook or other site as a memorial? Hell no. But I do not regret taking those pictures for myself.

I can understand that, I guess, even if it's something I wouldn't do for myself. Every time I looked at the pictures it'd make me feel incredibly sad.

I can understand that, I guess, even if it's something I wouldn't do for myself. Every time I looked at the pictures it'd make me feel incredibly sad.

No question - but with or without a picture there is no avoiding the sadness - I miss her every day. She used to sleep on my pillow with her paws hugging my head. Losing her was one of the darkest times of my life. But I feel good that we gave her a proper send-off.

No question - but with or without a picture there is no avoiding the sadness - I miss her every day. She used to sleep on my pillow with her paws hugging my head. Losing her was one of the darkest times of my life. But I feel good that we gave her a proper send-off.
:hug:

Reactions: Dedalus
When our cat Sabra died, we put her in a specially made box (provided by the vet) upon which myself, my wife and daughter wrote farewell messages on. We also arranged some nice flowers in it. Okay - I get it - she was dead, but she sure looked peaceful, and really - quite natural. At first I was completely opposed to taking any pictures - but before I put her in the ground it seemed completely okay to want to record the moment.

The picture my FB friend posted showed a close up of her dogs face, her tongue was hanging out the side of her mouth. She looked like she was lying on a cot or stretcher of some sort, you could tell it was a vets office. There was nothing peaceful or natural looking about her. Strangely, it's the only picture I've ever seen her post of her dog, I didn't even know she had one.