Posting death pictures of your pets on social networks

I have only had one cat put to sleep as he was not responding to any medical treatment and when he had the injection he died within a few seconds and he had his tongue lolling out and it definitely isn't an image I would want to put in a photo.

The picture my FB friend posted showed a close up of her dogs face, her tongue was hanging out the side of her mouth. She looked like she was lying on a cot or stretcher of some sort, you could tell it was a vets office. There was nothing peaceful or natural looking about her. Strangely, it's the only picture I've ever seen her post of her dog, I didn't even know she had one.

Oh that's awful. In that case I totally agree with you. I just assumed if people were going to do that - they'd do it with class and in good taste. o_O

I have only had one cat put to sleep as he was not responding to any medical treatment and when he had the injection he died within a few seconds and he had his tongue lolling out and it definitely isn't an image I would want to put in a photo.

That's completely understandable. I didn't expect that I'd be taking a photo of my cat when I had her put down either - cause yeah, they are going to look dead. So - not to be totally morbid - but Sabra looked exactly the same when she was put down as if she was sleeping. I could post side by side pics and minus the flowers - anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference. But all that aside - let's face it - when a pet dies you'd want to share the happy pictures of them - not the final pictures of them.

Reactions: KLS52
The picture my FB friend posted showed a close up of her dogs face, her tongue was hanging out the side of her mouth. She looked like she was lying on a cot or stretcher of some sort, you could tell it was a vets office. There was nothing peaceful or natural looking about her. Strangely, it's the only picture I've ever seen her post of her dog, I didn't even know she had one.

Ugh that's so morbid and horrible.

I believe uncanny valley is when something isn't human but looks very human, making it all the more inhuman, but otherwise I know exactly what you're talking about. :yuck:

Well, yeah, it's a sort of industry-specific thing. But I'm pretty sure it works the same way in other situations, when something looks almost right but there's just enough difference to make it suspicious. Like when our mind switches from judging it as a pretty realistic looking stuffed animal, to a somehow off-looking animal.

Taxidermy stuff at Natural History museums doesn't freak me out; I actually find all of the things in museums pretty fascinating.

But getting your beloved pet stuffed, and then taking it out every now and then to hold or whatever....is freaky, but at the same time I find it really sad. Because for the person to miss the pet THAT much to go to that much extreme to keep it with them any way they can....I just think it's sad.

As far as pictures, I don't see the point of that. I'd rather flip through a photo album and see happy pictures. However, I do have photos during Callie's whole cancer ordeal - from pictures to see how the tumor was growing/progressing so we could monitor it, pictures after her two tumor removal surgeries to show the stitches and whatnot. I have not deleted them because her cancer was fairly rare and aggressive and she came through with flying colors. So I don't know if they'd ever be needed for research, but also because she survived it all, I can look at them and think "holy crap. this girl was a fighter. look what she beat!". But photos of your (obviously) dead pet? That's just too depressing to me.

It's hard for me to tell with some people whether it's a coping thing or what. They don't usually seem to be struggling that much, but whether that is a good sign...

But getting your beloved pet stuffed, and then taking it out every now and then to hold or whatever....is freaky, but at the same time I find it really sad. Because for the person to miss the pet THAT much to go to that much extreme to keep it with them any way they can....I just think it's sad.

I was thinking this too. That can't be healthy behavior, for sure.

Reactions: thefadedone
I have a short video of Amelia's head twitch when she was battling e. cuniculi. But that was to show the vet, in case she didn't exhibit the behavior in his office. Also, she is still alive.

Since the starting of this thread I've seen two pictures on FB of deceased dogs...they were of shelter dogs that didn't have a story with a happy ending. I didn't like it. :(

Years ago a co-worker showed me pictures of her cat taken after she died. I would probably have never thought of doing that if she hadn't shown me those pictures. I did take pictures of my last two cats after they died. And I'm kind of glad to have them. They both lived to a very old age and died naturally and peacefully with me at home. It was just a completion of our lives together.

I would not however ever post them on a social media site. I only showed the pictures to direct family.

When I had my dog euthanized, I was such an emotional mess that the last thing I would have thought to do would have been to pull out my camera and take pictures. I don't care if when I'm dead people take pictures of me, because I won't be around to mind, but for my own grieving, I didn't need pictures of the situation because the images were so firmly embedded in my mind that I couldn't (and can't) shake them for trying.

I get a bit disturbed whenever I have to deal with anything dead, even insects and spiders. I don't know how I'd feel if I had to deal with a bigger dead pet. When I saw my hamster had died I burst into tears and when our fish died I couldn't go as far as to take them out myself. Too sad. :(