US Politics-2022

Saw this today and it took a minute or two to process it but it turns out to be pretty clever and funny. And true.
Since its a tweet you have to read it from bottom to top to understand the context.

dka9oy279c981.jpeg

Reactions: KLS52
Saw this today and it took a minute or two to process it but it turns out to be pretty clever and funny. And true.
Since its a tweet you have to read it from bottom to top to understand the context.

View attachment 26319
Yeah, but Biden telling facebook who to censor certainly is a violation of the first amendment!

normally I wouldn't bother to post this. but someone here seems to think Rand Paul is a "good". While I believe he is "bad"

so just in case more evidence is needed to support my oppinion.

The context is important. and Rand offers a defense.

Reactions: Andy_T
normally I wouldn't bother to post this. but someone here seems to think Rand Paul is a "good". While I believe he is "bad"

I loathe him so much. He is a disgrace.

That was certainly immoral of him, but hardly the damning evidence that completely discredits him once and for all.

Trump seems to be wielding great influence in the Republican party still, and it seems like candidates who refuse to kiss his ring and accept his lies about the election don't get his support in Republican primaries, which means they are more likely to lose. We will get the big test of this theory over the coming months, but it seems to be true. If Trump wins in 2024, he could be more powerful this time due to his constant efforts to fill the party with his lackeys and the fact that the congress might tilt more his way by 2024 than last time.

The Republican party is worsening, democracy is weakening, and the US is increasingly in danger of falling more and more into tribalism.

And neither tribe will moderate and seek sensible centrist ground, still too much focus on voting rights and too little on the danger of Trump for the Democrats.

It's fairly worrying, even from the outside.

Biden might not beat Trump if he goes in as an unpopular candidate. Will Biden stands aside if polls show him to have a low approval rating and be facing defeat against Trump? I´m not convinced he would.

Trump seems to be wielding great influence in the Republican party still, and it seems like candidates who refuse to kiss his ring and accept his lies about the election don't get his support in Republican primaries, which means they are more likely to lose. We will get the big test of this theory over the coming months, but it seems to be true. If Trump wins in 2024, he could be more powerful this time due to his constant efforts to fill the party with his lackeys and the fact that the congress might tilt more his way by 2024 than last time.

The Republican party is worsening, democracy is weakening, and the US is increasingly in danger of falling more and more into tribalism.

And neither tribe will moderate and seek sensible centrist ground, still too much focus on voting rights and too little on the danger of Trump for the Democrats.

It's fairly worrying, even from the outside.

Biden might not beat Trump if he goes in as an unpopular candidate. Will Biden stands aside if polls show him to have a low approval rating and be facing defeat against Trump? I´m not convinced he would.
I really hope Biden loses, I get that Trump's bad and all, but Joe's got to go! I would actually prefer it if we could have someone other than Trump or Biden win the 2024 election, someone like Rand Paul, or Bernie Sanders, or better yet Vermin Supreme. I would totally vote for Vermin Supreme.

Last edited:
I just heard that Hillary Clinton might run again, :tired_face: If she runs I really hope that she doesn't win.

Last edited:
If Hillary Clinton had won she might have gone on to be a good President and served two terms. But her defeat made her a two time loser (even though she won the popular vote easily, so kind of unfair) and not only that but a loser to as poor a candidate as Trump. Trump in 2016 wasn't the political heavyweight he is now, and his base was only starting to form, and I think most of his supporters didn't really believe he would deliver. And yet Hillary still lost.

Hillary's Clinton's deplorables comment was, in retrospect, a decisive moment. She was saying that American is a smart, good nation and you can ignore the dumb and bad voters and still win. Unfortunately, that turned out to be false.

She then made things worse in the aftermath by focusing on the injustice of her defeat rather than her own failings which may or may not have been fair but has the whiff of bad loser.

There is also the possibility that Bill Clinton's name will come up again in the Jeffrey Epstein investigations. There is currently a court case with Prince Andrew and more names may come out. I believe, as far as I know, that the claim that Bill has been on Epstein's jet and/or island is based on credible evidence. Search for "Jeffrey Epstein's former pilot testifies Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, Prince Andrew flew aboard Epstein's private plane". Totally unfair on Hillary, but a reality nontheless.

The democrats need to drop her.

She may have lost perhaps partly because people didn't warm to her, and may be fundamentally unlikeable. Is there a bit of sexism in that? Maybe a tiny bit, but mostly it's on her. She also represents the elite at a time when the democrats need to connect with the working class.

I think Bernie Sanders is too old now.

Hopefully Biden can step aside if his approval rating and head to head vs Trump is low. However, it would be smart of him to keep cards close to his chest if he is planning on a single term. Because once it's known this is his only term, he starts to be considered lame duck. Perhaps announce suddenly in late 2023 if he isn't running.

Warren or Buttigieg are both candidates I'd be open to but there may even be a need for someone completely fresh. Ideally someone with a good career and political experience, but not someone who has been thought of a front runner before. Democrats need someone to connect with the working classes and take a centrist position on certain divisive issues, rather than dividing the country further.

However one way to look at it is just to put up whoever polls best against Trump. The bottom line is Trump must lose to protect American democracy.

I think the democrats should already be soft testing potential candidates in certain ways like town halls, speeches, TV debates and interviews so that they are not suddenly required to come up with a candidate if Biden dies, becomes ill, or decides not to run. Either that or Biden announces as I say late 2023 to give plenty of time.

May be an image of text that says 'Beautiful Mosaic of Kamala Harris made out of all the black men she locked up and kept in prison past their release date for jail labor. #NeverForget'

Looks like Biden and Harris are fairly unpopular at this point, but they haven´t done all that much wrong.
If some fairly big stuff happens in 2022, 2023 and 2024 I think their approval ratings in 2024 will be based more on that, so plenty of time yet.
However, if their ratings are still low in 2024, I hope they stand aside.

I think it was Mark Twain who said something like imagine how stupid the Average American is. Just by the definition of average, that means the half of all Americans are stupider.

Which is the only way I can explain the anti -vax movement. Latest stats are that the unvaccinated are 97 more likely to die of covid.

Some what reassuring in a weird way is that it's going on in other countries too. This truck thing in Canada blows my mind. However it wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of Americans are involved.

It also blows my mind that there are so many Trumpists. And the the RNC is calling the Jan 6 insurrection "legitimate political discourse." We all saw it on TV. and that was not "discourse".

It's stuff like that that makes me really fear for the future.

But trying to find something hopeful. By definition, half the people are smarter than the average American. How much longer before reason gets in the way of their beliefs. How far can their credulity stretch. It must be reaching a breaking point.

The RNC is also turning on its own. one guy likened it to a circular firing squad.

In a lot of super hero stories the bad guys form an alliance. they are more powerful than the good guys. but then they turn on their own. and the good guys unify on a common goal (enemy) and triumph.

Perhaps the lefts best hope is that the right is too stupid (or greedy or corrupt) to succeed.

I think it was Mark Twain who said something like imagine how stupid the Average American is. Just by the definition of average, that means the half of all Americans are stupider.

Which is the only way I can explain the anti -vax movement. Latest stats are that the unvaccinated are 97 more likely to die of covid.
Have you ever asked any of them why they don't want to get vaccinated? The thing about American partisans today is that they never try to understand why people disagree with them, they just assume that they're stupid, or victims of Russian disinformation.
Some what reassuring in a weird way is that it's going on in other countries too. This truck thing in Canada blows my mind. However it wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of Americans are involved.
It's reassuring to me too, I'm so glad to see that my fellow Canadians still value liberty. And I'm thankful to the American people for showing solidarity with us.
It also blows my mind that there are so many Trumpists. And the the RNC is calling the Jan 6 insurrection "legitimate political discourse." We all saw it on TV. and that was not "discourse".
I take it you haven't seen this video of the coppers letting the protesters in?
It's stuff like that that makes me really fear for the future.
I fear for the future too, to many people have no regard for personal liberty.
But trying to find something hopeful. By definition, half the people are smarter than the average American. How much longer before reason gets in the way of their beliefs. How far can their credulity stretch. It must be reaching a breaking point.

The RNC is also turning on its own. one guy likened it to a circular firing squad.

In a lot of super hero stories the bad guys form an alliance. they are more powerful than the good guys. but then they turn on their own. and the good guys unify on a common goal (enemy) and triumph.

Perhaps the lefts best hope is that the right is too stupid (or greedy or corrupt) to succeed.
Nah, it's not a good guy bad guy situation, both sides suck equally.

Last edited:
Have you ever asked any of them why they don't want to get vaccinated? The thing about American partisans today is that they never try to understand why people disagree with them, they just assume that they're stupid, or victims of Russian disinformation.
Asymptomatic people can spread COVID-19. Masks and vaccination help to minimize this spread. People have the right to risk their own lives, but their are other lives at stake. An elderly lady next door to us just died from COVID-19; this is a real thing.

Per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

"People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter. The change is motivated by science demonstrating that the majority of SARS-CoV-2 transmission occurs early in the course of illness, generally in the 1-2 days prior to onset of symptoms and the 2-3 days after."

Link: CDC Newsroom.

OMG I really want this. Anyone else?

• Love
Reactions: Lou
Not sure if anybody is following this thread, but here we are …

Interestingly, I just yesterday read a statistic that Republican voters think more highly of Vladimir Putin than of Joe Biden. Not much more to say …