US Politics-2022

Anyone want to weigh in on Romney? Other than the fact that he’s a Republican? He is anti trump so there’s that. For some reason I keep coming across stuff about him.
IMHO, this is sort of like what we were talking about a few days ago. To anyone but a Tr**per, anyone looks like a better alternative to Tr**p. and like what happened with the the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination - "electability" was the deciding factor.

I will have to find some good new polling data but my recollections is that only about half the republican voters are in favor of Tr**p. And again if I'm recalling it right - Pro Tr**pers are trending down.

I think the problem with running Tr**mp is twofold. First you don't have enough Tr**mpers to win. and second I can't think of a better candidate to energize the liberals, muslims, blacks, hispanics, and GLBTQs.

There is a saying in politics. One-third vote Democratic, one-third vote Republican, and one-third don't vote. Anything that gets SOME of the non voters to vote is enough to sway an election.

Reactions: KLS52
Ohio governor Mike DeWine is the only republican running that isn't using Trump as a platform. He's at least stood on his feet with his decisions, and did a pretty good with Ohio's response to covid. I think he's disliked by republicans more than democrats!
It's absolutely insane to see the political ads here! So hard to believe they're not all comedy routines. They come right out and give racist dog whistles, transphobic hatred, and defend them, and brag about how much Trumper they are then their opponent!

Romney is so wishy washy I think he's only against Trump cause Trump was against him

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Romney is so wishy washy I think he's only against Trump cause Trump was against him
I don't see it that way.

All the mormons I have ever known have been really nice, moral, honorable and honest. I think he really is. and

Trump is like the exact opposite.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy_T and KLS52
It says a lot about the democrats, that the republicans they get along the best with are always the most war-mongering, and authoritarian.

Provide link to your source.

Biden's son is a separate person than Joe Biden.
This appears to be based on a story that came out of Russia (RT) and RIO Novasti and then been repeated by various American right wing "news sources", including Fox News and the NY Post.

Repeating this stuff is pretty much supporting Russia. There is no truth to these allegations except for the fact that one of the companies Hunter Biden used to be involved with has had business dealings in Ukraine.

Last month the Washington Post reported on this misinformation and you can read about it here.

The WP is behind a pay wall but if anyone wants some more facts, they can check out this article.

It says a lot about you that you are repeating Putin's propaganda lies as though they were true.
Or is the Russian propaganda me pointing out that the invasion of Ukraine was not completely unmotivated, and that it didn't just happen because Putin is evil and hates Ukrainians? It's like talking about 9/11 to conservatives, if you suggests in any way that the attacks where anything other than unprovoked atrocities committed simply because the attackers hated American freedom you're a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, or unpatriotic, or whatever. Look what they said about Ron Paul, yes lets just completely ignore that the US has been bombing the middle east for decades and just say they attacked because they hate freedom, because these stupid people have to see everything in black and white.

Or is the Russian propaganda me pointing out that the invasion of Ukraine was not completely unmotivated, and that it didn't just happen because Putin is evil and hates Ukrainians? It's like talking about 9/11 to conservatives, if you suggests in any way that the attacks where anything other than unprovoked atrocities committed simply because the attackers hated American freedom you're a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, or unpatriotic, or whatever. Look what they said about Ron Paul, yes lets just completely ignore that the US has been bombing the middle east for decades and just say they attacked because they hate freedom, because these stupid people have to see everything in black and white.
Trying to deflect from post #47?

But, sure, if you want to try to justify Putin's invasion of Ukraine, have at it. Might be hard for you to do, though, since you're so ready to fling the word "warmonger" at other people.

Trying to deflect from post #47?

But, sure, if you want to try to justify Putin's invasion of Ukraine, have at it. Might be hard for you to do, though, since you're so ready to fling the word "warmonger" at other people.
I'm not trying to justify it, I am against war, however I disagree with the claim that Putin only invaded Ukraine because he hates Ukrainians, or he just wants more land or whatever, it's more complicated than that, the west is partly to blame.

If the West is "partly to blame" for Putin's invasion of Ukraine, then surely the Middle East is "partly to blame" for America's invasion of Iraq.

And you still haven't addressed your own role in spreading obvious lies, i.e. post #47.
Iraq had no intention of starting a fight with America, America could have left it alone and there would be no problem, the reason there was a war was because Cheney wanted to get rich. however Ukraine being a western ally does pose a serious threat to Russia.

Iraq had no intention of starting a fight with America, America could have left it alone and there would be no problem, the reason there was a war was because Cheney wanted to get rich. however Ukraine being a western ally does pose a serious threat to Russia.
"Serious threat to Russia"?!?! Are you serious, or do you just enjoy poop posting? (Nevermind answering the latter question - it's rhetorical.)

Russia's invasion of Ukraine wasn't the fault of anyone but Putin, just as America's invasion of Iraq was our fault.

For someone who's supposedly anti-war, you sure spend a lot of time regurgitating the talking points of the premier warmonger of our time and of his disinformation machine.

I see you.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Anyone want to weigh in on Romney? Other than the fact that he’s a Republican? He is anti trump so there’s that. For some reason I keep coming across stuff about him.
I don't think Romney has a role in today's Republican Party.

If trump decides not to run in 2024, I think deSantis will be their nominee.

ETA: The RNC has voted unanimously to withdraw from the Commission on Presidential Debates. In the aftermath of Jan. 6, the GOP had the opportunity to draw away from trump. Instead, they fully re-embraced him. He is what they are, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. This withdrawal is just one more affirmation of that.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited: