Plating up food

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I'm watching MasterChef Australia just now. And it's just amazing how well some people plate up the food. My food luckly always taste better than it looks, but it seems so fun to be able to plate up and make the food look really good to.

How are you in plating skills? And have you any good tips for making the plating better? And not just "mess on a plate"...

I find that the presentation of food is a very important factor when making a meal. I really dislike a messy looking plate and dull colours as it doesn't pay tribute to wonderful tasting food.

On a daily basis, I like to serve food on a nice plate or bowl and always add condiments or something to add texture and colour. I always change my table mats and use different cutlery and glasses to make
everything look more appealing.

There are a few basics tips that can help jazz up everyday food like mash or quiches and soups : Thinly slice the either tofu or seitan, sausages and place them on top of the mash, add a drizzle of evo and a sprinkle of seeds or nuts.

Add a swirl of cream or salsa and add nuts or crushed pitta bread to soup. Add lots of green herbs to salads, black olives for colour. A drizzle of balsamic vinegar onto roast vegetables or cutlets. Seasoned rocket will also
add a burst of colour to pizza and pale coloured food. Roast Italian tomatoes add lots of warmth and colour to summer dishes.

Fruit, especially summer fruit adds burst of colour and vibrance to salad and vegetable dishes.

A knob of vegan butter will add glaze to hot sauces.

Spun sugar takes cakes and tarts to another dimension.

A drizzle of berry coulis or caramel sauce over ice cream.