Plant based for 3 months - Blood pressure 150/83

Marc2109

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been on a plant based diet since early March. I am 25 pounds or so overweight at this point ( I have lost 14). I am concerned that my blood pressure is not going down. Checked Monday 130/82, but today 150/82. Something must be wrong. Any help appreciated.

I'm going to assume that you have your own blood pressure monitor. Check your BP every day. but also check it at the same time every day. First thing in the morning you will probably get your lowest reading of the day. But it doesn't matter as much as when you take it but that you take it at the same time of the day.

There are also just like a thousand factors that affect your BP. Moods affect BP. Sleep. Food. A medical condition that has been verified is called White Coat Syndrom. going to the doctor's office and having a doctor measure your BP makes it go up .

Just keep eating right and exercising and losing weight. 130 is still a little high so just doing what you are doing and don't worry about it so much.

One time I was in a doctors office in LA and my blood pressure was a little high. The doctor was a woman, and she did something no doctor had done before. She held my arm with her hands in a comfortable position. My blood pressure went to exactly a perfect 120/70 (or close, like 123/71 or something).

I don't know if it was her touch or the way she held my arm but it worked. Even anxiety or rushing around quickly before you took it could alter the result, I think.

I have been on a plant based diet since early March. I am 25 pounds or so overweight at this point ( I have lost 14). I am concerned that my blood pressure is not going down. Checked Monday 130/82, but today 150/82. Something must be wrong. Any help appreciated.

Congrats on being plant-based for two months!! It might be interesting to not only check your BP at the same time everyday, as @Lou suggests, but it might be good to also keep a food log to see if it affects it. If you have something higher in salt, or oils, or more calories than normal or less.... of course, you could also track all the other factors, like stress. Keeping the log should only be for a short time as I do not recommend tracking calories etc on an ongoing basis. Once you get in the swing of things then you will eat intuitively.

Keep us in the loop as to how it's going.

Emma JC

Reactions: Sax and Lou
Please take a few minutes to review your salt intake. My blood pressure goes up when I eat salty foods.

Reactions: Lou
Have you increased foods which contain a lot of salt? Blood pressure can take a bit of time to reduce after going vegan. Like you said, you're still overweight, so things could improve hugely if you got that down a lot more... Generally, with a calorie deficit (CR), blood pressure will decrease but can take weeks to months before becoming normal.

Try to get more magnesium in your diet from either foods or supplements.

You can also try a natural ACE inhibitor like allicin (main active compound found in garlic). You'll want to make sure that you take something that contains "allisure".. so allimax or allicin max will work better as the allicin has been stabalized.

Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I had the same problem when I first went vegan. It wasn't until I started exercising regularly that I was able to finally get off my meds completely.

I think a WFPB diet will make a huge difference, but without exercise it just isn't enough. Even minimal exercise is better than no exercise.

Your body needs time to adjust to your new lifestyle. Just be mindful of you're salt intake especially with mock meats or processed foods and take in more potassium rich foods like bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes and spinach for example.

Reactions: Whoa182
Hello Marc,

I eat a vegan diet, as WFPB as I can, and in my experience--I am a cardiac patient with a history of a heart attack and triple bypass, what you're doing is one of the best, most pro-active things you can do. i've been eating this way a little over 3 years now and I'm not taking any medications for related to any of my coronary issues.

You didn't state how often you take your BP, or what you BP was at the starting point of your new diet was. Keeping a record of your BP, especially if you take it a few times daily will give you a much better idea of what is going on than just a single data point. Your diastolic was the same for both readings you gave and the 20 point difference in the systolic certainly could be a daily variation. I also take my records with me to my annual cardio check up . I've kept track of my daily BP in a log that also includes my physical activity, and sleep. I got in the habit 3 1/2 years ago from cardiac rehab.

One thing you can do is after you take your BP readings is then sit there and breath in and out slowly and deeply and then retake it. In rehab taking a BP immediately after exercise then doing this I was, on average able to reduce my systolic 8-10 points. Keep in mind though, this would also be a side effect of regular exercise, your recovery time is much quicker.

One other thing I wanted to ask you is if you're following any particular WFPB diet, such as the Esselstyn protocol, no oil, no salt, etc? Not all WFPB diets are the same depending on one's issues. Keeping track of one's sodium intake can be interesting. I don't notice much difference at all, while I know other cardiac patients that do. I don't however keep track of mg of sodium, so my definition of a high salt meal is subjective.

Losing the extra weight is good. If you are increasing your physical activity, that is also good. If you care to share a little more detailed information, I may be able to be more helpful.

Best to you,

Bob

Reactions: Emma JC