I Need Help

This is a story related to a man eating the same soup recipe for 17 years! Good soup by the way, it is more of a stew but we loved it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...aten-it-for-lunch-every-workday-for-17-years/
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound brown or large green lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 10 cups vegetable broth or water
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 medium Yukon gold, russet or red potatoes (1 1/4 pounds), scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 10 ounces baby spinach, chopped
  • 1 small butternut squash (1 pound), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, with leaves, sliced
  • 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 lemons
You can switch this recipe up in many ways, more greens less squash, more jalapeno, extra garlic, lots of ways to change it from week to week. It's good. SKIP the processed oil.

I read somewhere with diabetes, as a person is over weight they have fat embedded in the muscles, and fat under the skin. The problem is the fat in the muscles. Once the fat is driven out of the muscles and the weight is down, then the A1C will go down more easily even with some fat under the skin. I hope that helps.

Edit: I was hoping it would help but I don't think it does. Losing weight, which you are already doing, is GREAT, keep up the good work, and it will work, keep going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I went on a plant based diet in March of this year. At the time, my A1c was 7.0, and I had high triglycerides, low good cholesterol and high bad cholesterol. My Diet has been mostly rice, lentils, corn, grapenuts, oatmeal and potatoes. I have a few vegetables buy not a lot. I also have some fruit and berries in my cereal. I have lost 20 pounds. I had a new blood test two weeks ago and I am devastated.

After 6 months on this diet, My A1C WENT UP to 7.3. There was no change in cholesterol, and only a small change in triglycerides. My blood pressure also went up quite a bit. I do not know what to do. Every thing I have seen from Dr Neal Barnard and Dr. McDougall said my A1c should have gone down.

My Doctor is telling me the carbs are bad and to get off them. This would leave me very little to eat.

I'm about ready to give up. Please help me if you can.

You might try the Mastering Diabetes program. I read their book, and it gave me a lot of ideas to prevent diabetes. My mother and grandmother had diabetes, so it is a worry.

Here are their low fat vegan recipes for diabetics:

Last edited:
Reactions: feather
@LoreD the recipes in the link you provided are looking very good to me. I don't have diabetes but they look colorful and a nice variety too. I'd eat those! Thank you!

@Marc2109 another question...

Do you, by any chance, drink anything with an artificial sweetener in it?

The reason I ask is that I am still watching a Dr Greger Q&A video that I posted about a few minutes ago and he is talking about our brain thermostat for sugar/insulin. If we drink a beverage with any kind of "artificial sweetener" (healthy or otherwise) that doesn't actually contain sugar then our thermostat goes out of whack because the sweet on the tongue stimulates the brain to produce the insulin to deal with the sugar and when the sugar doesn't arrive the brains goes "hun, what was that all about" and the next time it senses sweet in the mouth it doesn't put out the insulin that it should.... hence higher sugar levels in the blood.weeks

He starts talking about it at around the 45:00 mark.

Emma JC

Very interesting since due to an injury and hence lack of exercise my Dr advised me l was diabetic....l am refusing to start on medication until l adjust my diet a bit to eliminate Carbs and sugar..switching back to whole grain breads (whole wheat pita over normal pita)...after 2 weeks l think l am back on trac, blood sugars back to normal, BP unbelievable at 105/73 resting heart rate 53..

Very interesting since due to an injury and hence lack of exercise my Dr advised me l was diabetic....l am refusing to start on medication until l adjust my diet a bit to eliminate Carbs and sugar..switching back to whole grain breads (whole wheat pita over normal pita)...after 2 weeks l think l am back on trac, blood sugars back to normal, BP unbelievable at 105/73 resting heart rate 53..

that is excellent news and cutting out sugars and processed carbs is great - do remember that Type II diabetes' root cause is insulin resistance which is caused by fat in the cells of the body which block insulin's ability to process the sugars, hence they build up in the blood instead of being changed into glucose which is our energy source - do you add oil to your cooking, salads etc?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: feather