People who eat more gluten less likely to develop diabetes?

Do You eat gluten? (If You don't have celiac disease)

• Yes

• No

• Only when I can't avoid it

Results are only viewable after voting.

kZn1

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
First of all hello everybody. I am new here. I am transitioning from eating everything including a lot of fast foods to veganism. I'm learning every day and it is going quite well. Of course, I cheat once a week with veggie pizza with normal cheese but I try my best.

The question I have is about gluten.
I found a study: https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/ar...t-more-gluten-less-likely-to-develop-diabetes

I am not gluten intolerant but I try to avoid it since I have read that gluten causes damage to colon cells which can lead to autoimmune diseases. The study I posted says that gluten is ok but there is no information about died of the people from the study. As we know meat fat causes insulin blocks and that is the main cause of diabetes type 2, not the sugars. What do You think about this study? Does anyone have more insight? Should I avoid gluten at all cost or just try to avoid it when I can and not be paranoid when I eat something with it?

welcome to the forum and congrats on taking your responsibility for your own health

I agree completely with the research that puts the blame for diabetes (type 2) on fats rather than on sugars and don't see any reason to avoid gluten unless you have celiac disease.

A whole food plant based diet that is balanced and not dependent on processed foods should supply you with almost all the vitamins and minerals that you need. Fibre is one of the most important parts of whole foods and is likely one of the reasons that most people eating SAD Standard American Diet develop so many diseases. Meat, dairy, eggs, oils do not contain fibre. Whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits, vegetables etc do contain fibre.

Lots more information is available from Dr McDougall, Dr Michael Greger, Dr Barnard, Dr Esselstyn, T Colin Caldwell etc.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/
https://nutritionfacts.org/
http://www.pcrm.org/media/experts/neal-barnard
http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/
https://nutritionstudies.org/

Emma JC

Reactions: kZn1
Thanks for the reply. And what do You think about rebuilding thyroid? My GF has a very small one. I saw a video that she needs to clean colon, skin, lungs, etc. with detox, then the lymph system will work as intended. After that, the cells might regenerate. I'm asking in relation to autoimmune diseases that can be caused by gluten but then I've read that autoimmune diseases are just bad diet.

I am of the opinion that clean eating (no animal products, limited oil/sugar/salt/processed foods) is cleansing enough and that the "cleansing" and "detoxifying" products being sold are overkill.

There are so many amazing tasty meals that can be made from 'clean' food, oatmeal with fruit for breakfast.... is just an example of a clean way to start your day.

Unless there is an immediate medical emergency for which you should consult a medical practitioner then try eating cleaner and see if that helps. Again I would suggest Dr Greger as he has many videos and tons of different topics on his website and they are all free.

Emma JC

Thanks, we are eating quite clean since we decided to go vegan. Oatmeal for breakfast is our daily routine with nuts, chia, and almond milk etc. We also snack only on fruit during the day. Only the dinner is hard sometimes because we didn't cook healthy at all before so salads, beans are stranger to us but we learn each day to try something new. Also, we drink green juice daily 3-4 hours before bed (because I can't make myself to juice in the morning). Thanks again for Your insight and help. I hope I will lose some weight also - 275 pounds and 5'10 :( I was thinking of spirulina and chlorella as a supplement but so far it is quite hard to find a good reliable source close to Poland (We are from Poland). I know that China is a no, no :)

Supper is important and can be easy if you keep it simple. Potatoes, especially sweet potatoes, steamed cabbage/kale/spinach or rice with veggie stir fry. Whole grain pastas with simple tomato sauce and veggies. The more veggies the better with a starch as veggies will fill you up and make you feel satisfied. Onions and garlic and ginger added where you can and spices make everything taste amazing.

Soups are also a good idea for supper as you can put in beans and potatoes and veggies and spices/onions/garlic/ginger etc and is very filling. Veggie chilli is also great as it can be made in bulk and served over potatoes or rice.

When you say juice do you mean actually juiced? or smoothie style? smoothies are better as you retain the fibre and more of the vitamins and minerals. Here is Dr Greger's favourite juice/smoothy.

Spirulina and chlorella are nice to include if you have a good source however cabbage and kale and other greens can be just as good.

All the best on your weight loss/health journey. A walk a day will help use up the calories.

So proud of you! Emma JC

Thanks for ideas for supper. :)

Yeah I mean juiced but it's from slow juicer so some fiber is still in juice and also I eat whole fruit every day so I try to keep my fiber at least at 40g. I also add a little bran to my oat flakes every day. Its a little hard at the beginning but everything is. I use cronometer to keep track of my diet and oh boy... eating healthy 1500-2000kcal a day is a challenge :) I never eat much just really bad stuff. I will learn eventually. Thanks for all the tips again.

You are welcome - you may have seen me post this on another thread, I think it is worth repeating. It was my answer to someone that was wishing they had a vegan store in their community and this was my answer:

Supermarkets are mostly vegan by default:

• all produce aisles - fresh fruits and vegetables and herbs
  • frozen aisles - frozen fruits, vegetables
  • bean aisles - canned beans, dried beans, breakfast beans
  • canned fruits and vegetables
  • pasta aisle - most pastas and sauces, noodles
  • condiments aisle - vinegars, olives, pickles, ketchup, soy sauce, hot sauces, mustard, tahini
  • snack and bulk aisle - nuts, dried fruits, nutritional yeast, various grains, some potato chips
  • cereal aisle - oatmeal, Spoon Size Shredded Wheat, Shredded Wheat etc
  • beverage aisle - sparkling water, herbal teas, coffee
  • bakery aisle - sprouted breads, pitas, tortillas
  • dairy aisle - tofu, plant-based milks
Emma JC

Yeah, I have many stores in Poland I'm from Warsaw (the capital).
Also some very good vegan only stores.
Polish people are very health aware in bigger cities so it's not a problem but thanks anyway :)

That is awesome! Keep it simple and as Happy Healthy Vegan likes to say "keep it carbed".

Emma JC

I've tried gluten recently after many years of not eating it and it didn't go well at all... major headache right away... major gout and blood in feces the next day.