Organic or loose fruit and vegetables?

Lucie

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Do you buy organic vegetables or loose produce (which, generally is not organic)?. Both have environmental benefits- organic produce doesn't use fertilisers that contaminate water, harm and kill animals but is generally packaged in plastic whilst non-organic foods are much easier to find plastic-free but use these pesticides and fertilisers that damage the environment and hurt animals. I switch between both as I can't make up my mind on which is more environmentally and animal friendly-what are your thoughts?:)

Hello Lucie, and welcome to the forum.

I try to buy the dirty dozen in organic form. I actually prefer organic, but don't always buy it, unless it's on sale. As it turns out, sometimes the organic will be on sale for less than the non-organic. If it's only 20 cents per pound difference, I buy organic. There's other fruits and veggies that are not on the dirty dozen that I always buy organic as well...like bananas, for example. The price between non-organic and organic bananas is negligible.

The dirty dozen will vary from website to website, but you can see from this one below how it works. Some things are naturally resistant to pests, like onions. I never bother even looking for organic onions, asparagus, avocados, etc. I try to watch my budget, but I will keep as much organic as I can, when possible.

The fruits and vegetables on “The Dirty Dozen” list, when conventionally grown, tested positive for at least 47 different chemicals, with some testing positive for as many as 67. For produce on the “dirty” list, you should definitely go organic — unless you relish the idea of consuming a chemical cocktail. “The Dirty Dozen” list includes:
  • celery
  • peaches
  • strawberries
  • apples
  • domestic blueberries
  • nectarines
  • sweet bell peppers
  • spinach, kale and collard greens
  • cherries
  • potatoes
  • imported grapes
  • lettuce
All the produce on “The Clean 15” bore little to no traces of pesticides, and is safe to consume in non-organic form. This list includes:
  • onions
  • avocados
  • sweet corn
  • pineapples
  • mango
  • sweet peas
  • asparagus
  • kiwi fruit
  • cabbage
  • eggplant
  • cantaloupe
  • watermelon
  • grapefruit
  • sweet potatoes
  • sweet onions
Source

i prefer organic products which are mainly grown in the field area.
My family is not dependent on any non-organic products as we grow a large number of vegetables and fruits.
There is only one problem that is vegetables and fruits are seasonal so we need to take care of our supply and demand as we don't want to waste we also sell excess stuff in local market or vendors took fro us directly

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I'm not sure it's an either or thing. I can find at my local market organic loose produce. It's not even hard. But I live in California. We have lots of local organic growers.

At Trader Joe's I'm under the impression that all their food is organic. And although they have a lot of veggies and fruits in little packages - they still have a lot loose.

Not to boast but I even have some re-usable washable nylon bags. So I don't have to use the plastic bags at the grocery store. I buy organic no matter what list its on. I like organic in general because of the environmental issues of pesticides. I don't mind the killing of the bugs. I just don't like the poisons in the run-off.

Even though I have to pay a little more for organic, I am a believer in voting with my wallet. The more people buy organic - the more organic veggies and fruit there will be - and then it may become less expensive.

Nice little side note. at my local farmer's market, not all the produce is organic. but the ones that are organic have a certificate posted. They may be a little more expensive. We don't have many Head-To-Head competitions. But I noticed yesterday that the organic berry guy was more popular than the non-organic strawberry lady. Even tho his strawberry prices were higher.

Not to boast but I even have some re-usable washable nylon bags. So I don't have to use the plastic bags at the grocery store.

I just found some of those online and ordered them!

I don't do the shopping for my family, but I think my wife mainly gets non-organic. I actually didn't know that non-organic produce harmed animals until I read this thread. I swear, sometimes you'd think I live under a rock. I am learning SO much about environmental issues here.

Reactions: Lou
Yes!! It includes
  • cantaloupe
  • watermelon
  • grapefruit
  • sweet potatoes
  • sweet onions

I almost always buy everything organic unless what I need isn't available. I'm also in California and there is a decent amount of organic "loose" produce. I also have mesh bags, but I will use any bag I have and just throw everything into it and dump it out when i get to the counter so as to avoid getting the plastic bags as much as possible (saves time). I made some if my mesh bags, and was given a bunch from a friend'who bought them for a different purpose (I suggested he keep them as produce bags but he just didn't get it. ) I also follow the dirty dozen list and am more particular about certain things brinb organic than others, for sure. I learned a long time ago that berries (especially strawberriess) are the worst for pesticides, and stuff like bananas and avocados you don't have to worry as much.

Where I live I can buy organic produce that is loose. I honestly can't think of anything organic that is packaged besides lettuce and some herbs, I usually just get bulk spinach though and loose herbs.

Non organic is worse for the environment even if it's not the dirty dozen. Organic farming should be supported whenever possible.

However if you are poor obviously you can do things like rinse your produce in vinegar water. The amount of packaging is debatable depending on how much it is and if you can recycle any of it.

At Trader Joe's (in the US) almost all of the organic fruits and veggies come in some kind of packaging. You can't buy just one organic apple or red onion, you have to buy a bag of them.

There's not a Trader Joe's here just co-ops and local stores and the farmers market. We do have one big chain grocery but it's a Safeway and I rarely set foot in it (occasionally I might if I'm broke, they sell the vegan flavor of Top Ramen).

I went to Gelsons a lot when I lived in LA but sometimes I went to Whole Foods or the local Mexican and Asian stores. I do think it's harder to get organic in chain groceries that are cheaper (though supposedly the vinegar water trick helps with non organic) and it's definitely easier living in a semi rural farming county.

Reactions: TofuRobot
The closest grocery store to me (1/4 mile) is a Gelson's. I try avoiding that place as much as possible. They do have organic stuff, but it's REALLY overpriced. ....

Dr. Greger did a video on how to wash your vegetables. At the end of it he said soaking it in salt water for a few minutes was the most effective, even over vinegar. I'll see if I can find it...

The closest grocery store to me (1/4 mile) is a Gelson's. I try avoiding that place as much as possible. They do have organic stuff, but it's REALLY overpriced. ....

Dr. Greger did a video on how to wash your vegetables. At the end of it he said soaking it in salt water for a few minutes was the most effective, even over vinegar. I'll see if I can find it...

I had a childish affinity for Gelsons, I'd go there if I was depressed to cheer up. I feel the same way at my local co op like my entire vibe has been lifted. I like to get dolmas I don't know how to make them myself. Also I made a lot more money when I lived in LA lol. I saw Gwen Stefani in Sherman Oaks a few years ago at the Gelsons. She was totally dressed up too like she wanted to be recognized.

That's interesting that salt would be more effective with pesticides I'm skeptical but thanks for sharing.

Dirty Dozen - Clean 15
Wallet size cheat sheet

Attachments

• Dirty dozen Clean 15 .pdf
    991.2 KB · Views: 4
I try to buy organic, but have questions about a lot of the imported, organic produce. Years ago, I watched a documentary about Mexican growers slapping organic stickers on boxes of convential produce. If it is non local, I really don't have any idea whether these products really are organic.