October Health Challenge (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad i'm temporarily(?) eating more raw. Approximately 70% of my food is raw now. Of course, it won't last forever, as winter is coming, but i just had to make certain efforts towards these changes. It has to mean something...:woo: :zen:

Reactions: PTree15 and Katrina
I did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night, using the interval program: 2 minutes run, 2 minutes walk, repeat. Only my new playlist got me through it!

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I have to get blood tests done later this month to get my thyroid, cholesterol etc... tested and also be tested for coeliac disease.

I didn't do much walking last month as I sprained my foot so I want to walk everyday this month. I just went to pull up some weeds for half an hour in the garden.

I still can't decide whether to spend the vouchers I have on massages, acupuncture or Chinese herbs! I keep going back and forth between them all.:D I'm going to make a decision next week and book the first appointment.

Reflexology is another option...

Last edited:
Welcome, October! I am down 4 pounds, which made me very happy. It's been (intentionally) slow and that's fine. I figure it will stay off longer. :D I would like to lose about 5 more, which would put me back close to my original weight loss total. I have been walking and doing the treadmill, but today I had to do the bike because my knee was acting up. I'm thinking I'm out of alignment after my toe episode from hiking. I probably was favoring that side, which might explain the kinks/pain in the ligaments. I felt no pain on the bike, so this week I will do more of that and maybe more weights and possibly the rowing machine. I am determined to climb Mount Washington next year, so training is a must.

Oh vacation! :fp: There are serious diet challenges where ever I turn. All my systems are all off schedule and the food all smells so good. Oh dear! Tomorrow is a travel day, which I hope means a Cliff Bar for breakfast and fruit for lunch and maybe get somewhat back to a regular schedule, but this is hard. :cry:

I booked an eye exam for tomorrow. My prescription has probably changed since I got these lenses, and I haven't had new frames in at least 5 years. Don't get me wrong, I like these frames, but it's time for a change. Plus I should probably make sure my eyes are healthy.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Welcome, October! I am down 4 pounds, which made me very happy. It's been (intentionally) slow and that's fine. I figure it will stay off longer. :D I would like to lose about 5 more, which would put me back close to my original weight loss total.

How much weight did you lose originally? :)

I gained a lot of weight in my 20s and then lost a lot, just before I went vegan. I have gained most of it back now.:pout: My weight goes up and down a lot. I just like food too much. I always think it seems like some other people eat a very small amount of food in a day.:oops:

I think it's funny how society seems to think veg/vegan people are all skinny. That hasn't been my experience at all. I was thinking about that today as it will officially be 25 years this month that I first went veggie.

I was quite slim when I first went vegetarian, but then I was only 17 years old.:rofl:

*ramble*

Last edited:
How much weight did you lose originally? :)

I gained a lot of weight in my 20s and then lost a lot, just before I went vegan. I have gained most of it back now.:pout: My weight goes up and down a lot. I just like food too much. I always think it seems like some other people eat a very small amount of food in a day.:oops:

I think it's funny how society seems to think veg/vegan people are all skinny. That hasn't been my experience at all. I was thinking about that today as it will officially be 25 years this month that I first went veggie.

I was quite slim when I first went vegetarian, but then I was only 17 years old.:rofl:

*ramble*
I lost around 40 pounds. I, too, have always been up and down with weight, regardless of my veggie status, hehe. I like food, too, and this time around, I've kept a lot of the weight off for a much longer period (going on five years). I attribute it to some changes in habit (not eating out of stress or boredom, cutting down on portions and slowing down my eating.) As we age, it gets harder to keep the weight off, so I adjust as necessary, whether that's upping my exercise or cutting down on snacks and whatnot every so often.

This latest gain I attribute to some knee problems from last year that limited my exercise routine. Problem was, I kept eating as if I were exercising, haha. I am back to a more robust exercise schedule, and I tend to make better decisions about eating (more healthy options) when I work out. My goal is to not to have buy new clothes because of weight gain, which I've managed to do. The clothes were getting a bit snug, though, which was my cue to get serious about making better choices. In the old days, if I had a bad day of eating, I'd extend it to a week or more. Now I just move on and say that I'll do better tomorrow. :)

Yes, that cracks me up that people think all vegans are waifs! Seriously, there is so much junk that is accidentally vegan. :D

Reactions: KLS52 and Poppy
I have a struggle with weight and good eating and portion control. Last spring I got back to wfpb eating, very closely following Dr Gregers green light, daily dozen foods Not sure exactly what triggered me, but I allowed some sugar and oil to get in, then quickly lost all grip and began eating like there is no tomorrow! All kinds of junk, even cheese (dairy)pizza which hadn't been a craving!
When I followed Gregers way of eating completely I felt better than I had in years! Much more stamina, breathing better- as if I could do without any asthma meds, no allergies, even looked better. My desire for food was starting to change from taste craving to how food feels. It's like the same type of fear other kinds of addictions face when they come to understand the extent of their addictions and they really have to stop
I think I gained back the ten pounds and more!

I have a struggle with weight and good eating and portion control. Last spring I got back to wfpb eating, very closely following Dr Gregers green light, daily dozen foods Not sure exactly what triggered me, but I allowed some sugar and oil to get in, then quickly lost all grip and began eating like there is no tomorrow! All kinds of junk, even cheese (dairy)pizza which hadn't been a craving!
When I followed Gregers way of eating completely I felt better than I had in years! Much more stamina, breathing better- as if I could do without any asthma meds, no allergies, even looked better. My desire for food was starting to change from taste craving to how food feels. It's like the same type of fear other kinds of addictions face when they come to understand the extent of their addictions and they really have to stop
I think I gained back the ten pounds and more!
I can most certainly sympathize. The struggle is real. :hug:

Vacation is over and I will NOT get on the scale for a few days!!! :fp:

Very odd, since I feel I've been binging on so much junk food --I have not gained a bit :???::shrug:
I weighed myself on our work shipping scale, which is what I using when I was eating great and losing, so I know it's true--but why? :confused: Seems so implausable, I mean I was totally binging on chips, dips, candy, desserts, too many serving of anything good I'd make ...
But when I was thoroughly trying to eat completely wfpb, no oil, no sugar--I was barely losing more than pound a week :mad:

I didn't gain any weight on vacation, and may have actually lost a pound. :smile:

I'm so glad to be back to my regular way of eating. One of our guides told us that Italians, in general, eat a kind of cookie/pastry with cappuccino or espresso for breakfast, pasta (not a huge portion) and wine for lunch, and a long, two-hour dinner with several courses for dinner. My system is just not built that way!!!

Italians, in general, eat a kind of cookie/pastry with cappuccino or espresso for breakfast, pasta (not a huge portion) and wine for lunch, and a long, two-hour dinner with several courses for dinner. My system is just not built that way!!!
o_O ...My system is not built that way either...:D

I did a bit of hiking (not much) on Saturday, and last night I was at the gym for about an hour. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill then upper body strength training: 3 sets of 10 reps of pushups, reverse pullups, shrugs, shoulder press, and triceps extension. Then a farmer's walk with 25-pound dumbbells (total of 50 pounds).

Reactions: PTree15
Oh, and I stopped drinking coffee 7 days ago. I mean, I still drink the occasional cup of decaf, but it does jacksh*t for my caffeine needs. I had awful headaches and constant fatigue the first 4 days. Ugh. Only this week am I starting to feel more human.

I didn't gain any weight on vacation, and may have actually lost a pound. :smile:

I'm so glad to be back to my regular way of eating. One of our guides told us that Italians, in general, eat a kind of cookie/pastry with cappuccino or espresso for breakfast, pasta (not a huge portion) and wine for lunch, and a long, two-hour dinner with several courses for dinner. My system is just not built that way!!!
That would work for me. I'm not a big breakfast person and I like my big meal at dinner. :D I don't think I could eat pasta every day, though, haha. My pants would get tight, hehe.

I got to walk outside this morning. It was perfect weather: sunny but cool. Only 47 degrees, but it felt great!

Reactions: Val and KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.