News Oat Milk Should be Your N°1 Choice

The video is very interesting and it does look really easy to make the oat milk. I may have to try it sometime! I almost always have oatmeal on hand. I am not much of a "do it yourself-er" though.
I went to the grocery and used my $2 coupon on Chobani oat milk so I won't be making it for a bit! :). Never got a nutbag- they look so much finer than cheesecloth or fine mesh strainers.

I'm glad silva and others are inspired by the video she posted on making oat milk, but that dude makes it too complicated. I simply blend oats raw with a little water and then mix in more water to desired consistency. Straining out means wasted oats - but if you must, no need for a nut bag, just pour the mixture in a bottle and wait - the residue will sink to the bottom and you can pour off the liquid from there. Or you can be hardcore and shake that btch for all hearty goodness of a whole food drink. :cool:

Same way I used to do it when I was doing that. My only seal-able pitcher is currently being used to house my new addiction; OJ. Mid shift, a thermos full of orange juice has been my vice.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I'm glad silva and others are inspired by the video she posted on making oat milk, but that dude makes it too complicated. I simply blend oats raw with a little water and then mix in more water to desired consistency. Straining out means wasted oats - but if you must, no need for a nut bag, just pour the mixture in a bottle and wait - the residue will sink to the bottom and you can pour off the liquid from there. Or you can be hardcore and shake that btch for all hearty goodness of a whole food drink. :cool:
I know, but I wanted to share because I ran across him and he's super nice and inspirational! Most all recipes people share on the internet are so overblown, post a pic of broccoli with seasoning and they ask for the recipe!
I do hate doing more than needed, I'll try your way- except for the soaking, I've heard that keeps it from having the slimy quality

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I switched over to oat milk from almond milk about a month ago. I buy the Oatly barista and I bought a drinks frother for when I make a matcha green tea latte.

I gave up caffeine for a good few months so I am really enjoying having tea and matcha again. I'm still off coffee.

I use the PureChimp matcha green tea powder.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I'm so very glad for the Asian store close by! I have a couple boxes of silken and several types of regular, including 2 sprouted I just got from TJ's.
They keep the boxes of Mori-Nu silken in the fridge, so I always do, but aren't they fine shelf stable? I never really thought about it, but now my fridge is a bit crowded. I bet I could get quite a few items out of there.

I usually buy organic oats, but caved and bought cheap boxed oats. Those are one of the things I obsessed about pesticides. I still buy regular berries though :shrug:

Maybe tomorrow morning I’ll venture out again. It’s just that I’m getting a little more anxious. I feel like everytime I leave the house I’m starting the countdown all over again, having to wait 14 days to see if I’ve been infected. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas and Raven
I have no more tofu. :(

Neither do I! :eek:

The online grocery deliveries near me are all completely booked up for the next three weeks. I managed to get a grocery delivery for mid April but the websites are all messed up.

I typed in tofu and a message came up saying that they had never heard of this item and did I have the correct spelling. Haha.

• Haha
  • Friendly
Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
I made oat milk! I can’t believe it. I actually did something I said I would. It’s only a pint. Not sure I’m fond of “milking” a nut bag, lol.
View attachment 20752
So .... how do you like the oat milk you made?
I made some-1/2 cup oats to 3cups water, a quick blend, strained through wire mesh sieve, added a bit of vanilla and maple after tasting.
I don't like it at all!
the Chobani one I had has oil, other stuff....
I did use it for cereal, and .... oatmeal

So .... how do you like the oat milk you made?
I made some-1/2 cup oats to 3cups water, a quick blend, strained through wire mesh sieve, added a bit of vanilla and maple after tasting.
I don't like it at all!
the Chobani one I had has oil, other stuff....
I did use it for cereal, and .... oatmeal
I’m less than thrilled. I will probably use it for cold cereal and add more sugar.
I did one cup oats two cups water and it was too thick so I added more water. I used date syrup. I didn’t think of vanilla. I don’t have any here but I have a grocery pick up Monday so maybe I’ll add a small bottle of vanilla.

• Informative
Reactions: Val and shyvas
I’m less than thrilled. I will probably use it for cold cereal and add more sugar.
I did one cup oats two cups water and it was too thick so I added more water. I used date syrup. I didn’t think of vanilla. I don’t have any here but I have a grocery pick up Monday so maybe I’ll add a small bottle of vanilla.

Have you tried it in coffee instead of your usual Silk creamer ? I must say that I prefer soya milk with coffee.;)

What was it that you didn't like? I'm curious and was thinking of trying this as well. I haven't tried any commercially produced oat milk, so I'm not sure what to expect.

What was it that you didn't like? I'm curious and was thinking of trying this as well. I haven't tried any commercially produced oat milk, so I'm not sure what to expect.
It's worth trying as it's so easy. I used 1/2 cup oats and either 2 or 3 cups water?and some maple syrup and vanilla. I did follow some blog idea. Blend for just a few seconds, strained through wire mesh
It was very oat tasting, and very watery. Store bought doesn't taste of oats to me, at least not the Chobani plain. In the fridge it seperated with sludge on the bottom.
It's not undrinkable, but I don't like it. I wouldn't think to use in tea. I did use in cold cereal and oatmeal, which is weird as I usually use water
It also seemed to get that sliminess the next day it sat in fridge
Chobani has an extra creamy that I love-that's thick and has all kinds of additives. Good a creamer, and can be diluted with water to stretch out

Reactions: Val
Have you tried it in coffee instead of your usual Silk creamer ? I must say that I prefer soya milk with coffee.;)
I can’t even imagine liking it in coffee. I’m afraid to waste a cup right now, lol. If I didn’t like it when I tasted it I doubt it will be good in coffee (for me). I could drink Silk creamer by itself, lol. Maybe at a later date I will give it a try.

• Friendly
I’m not really sure. Taste I guess? It tastes like oats, oddly enough, lol. But I think I will like it in cereal so it won’t go to waste. I wonder if I can freeze it?

I can’t even imagine liking it in coffee. I’m afraid to waste a cup right now, lol. If I didn’t like it when I tasted it I doubt it will be good in coffee (for me). I could drink Silk creamer by itself, lol. Maybe at a later date I will give it a try.

I also don't like it in coffee and find that it somehow spoils the taste. Moreover, it's quite high in carbs.

I’m not really sure. Taste I guess? It tastes like oats, oddly enough, lol. But I think I will like it in cereal so it won’t go to waste. I wonder if I can freeze it?
If you haven't tried Chobani extra creamy oat milk that I would think is good in coffee. Now I do drink mine plain, but I tried it and liked it. I have not liked other non dairy creamers, I used to use half and half, or real cream in coffee once in a while