News Oat Milk Should be Your N°1 Choice

Eeeh... All these talks about oat milk... made me crave ice cream! I still have a few big boxes of oat milk in the fridge, plus a few small boxes on the balcony. I also have vanilla extract, organic rolled oats, dates, etc... (whatever one may need to make dense home-made ice cream)... The weather guys are promising us dull rainy weather, so i may start making my ice cream tomorrow afternoon! As soon as i'm a lazy @ss,- the perspective of churning it without a proper churner is depressing me. (Well, i have a primitive churner, but i don't have an ice cream maker). I was thinking of buying it last summer, but it was very pricy, and we were saving money for our summer trip to Scandinavia. Now i may end up ordering it and buying it online, if i get my wages in summer. Just look at these models of ice cream makers that this site offers in SPb:
Some of them are affordable, some are not. I can't exclude a possibility that i won't be buying anything in the summer, because we all will be "kopit' na chornyi den'" ("saving money for the black day"). Anyway, i'm craving something sweet, because i don't consume sugar at all. When i was an omni (and during my 2 short episodes of lacto-vegetarianism, that occured a long time ago), i always thought: "What if ice cream didn't have this stinky hue of cow's milk in its taste?" I've always loved ice cream, but i hated cow's milk, that's why i had to ditch ice cream long before i gave up eating other animal products. I hated the smell of (sorry) pus in my ice cream (i really felt it, and couldn't get rid of this feeling), and i felt deprived of some pleasure in my life, but then i got used to it. I'm afraid that if i try ice cream again, i'll become addicted to it (even if it will be vegan).

If you haven't tried Chobani extra creamy oat milk that I would think is good in coffee. Now I do drink mine plain, but I tried it and liked it. I have not liked other non dairy creamers, I used to use half and half, or real cream in coffee once in a while
I was a huge half n half/cream person back in my dairy days and the Silk original soy creamer is the only thing that comes close for me. I have poured more creamers down the drain that it makes me sick to think of the money I wasted. So I’m leery trying anything new as long as I can get the Silk. I have not liked any of the almond or coconut creamers especially.

I am envious of people who can drink their coffee black.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
It’s hard to find milk that tastes good in coffee, maybe I just don’t like coffee. It’s too bitter no matter how much sweetness is added. Rather have a morning soda.
Soy, almond milk, oat milk are all yummy choices to me

Reactions: Val
It’s hard to find milk that tastes good in coffee, maybe I just don’t like coffee. It’s too bitter no matter how much sweetness is added. Rather have a morning soda.
Soy, almond milk, oat milk are all yummy choices to me

Coffee should never be bitter.

I was a huge half n half/cream person back in my dairy days and the Silk original soy creamer is the only thing that comes close for me. I have poured more creamers down the drain that it makes me sick to think of the money I wasted. So I’m leery trying anything new as long as I can get the Silk. I have not liked any of the almond or coconut creamers especially.

I am envious of people who can drink their coffee black.
I drink hot coffee black, but I put nondairy milk/creamer and something sweet (usually coffee syrup or maple syrup) in iced coffee. :D I like Silk creamer, too. I tried Aldi's nondairy creamer but it was way too sweet for me. I haven't bought Silk creamer in a while, but I might splurge the next time I hit the grocery store.

I drink hot coffee black, but I put nondairy milk/creamer and something sweet (usually coffee syrup or maple syrup) in iced coffee. :D I like Silk creamer, too. I tried Aldi's nondairy creamer but it was way too sweet for me. I haven't bought Silk creamer in a while, but I might splurge the next time I hit the grocery store.

Did you buy the sugar free one? I usually buy their hazelnut sf creamer and find that it pairs well with coffee.

Is Aldi’s soy based? I would try it because sweet is fine for me since I add sugar to my coffee. I tried Trader Joe’s soy creamer but that wasn’t good either. I was disappointed. I thought being soy it would be close enough to silk but it wasn’t. So weird how nothing can compare to Silk. I wonder what they are doing different that makes it so good.

Is Aldi’s soy based? I would try it because sweet is fine for me since I add sugar to my coffee. I tried Trader Joe’s soy creamer but that wasn’t good either. I was disappointed. I thought being soy it would be close enough to silk but it wasn’t. So weird how nothing can compare to Silk. I wonder what they are doing different that makes it so good.

Not sure but I don't think so. They also have an almond milk based coffee creamer.

I think it was almond milk-based, at least the ones I tried. They had a vanilla one and a caramel one. I used them, because I didn't want to waste them, but they were awful, IMHO. :D

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: KLS52
I just tried vanilla oat milk for the first time this week because I couldn't get plain soy milk delivered from two different grocery stores! It's delicious, I'm really enjoying it.

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I think it was almond-milk based, at least the ones I tried. They had a vanilla one and a caramel one. I used them, because I didn't want to waste them, but they were awful, IMHO. :D

I bought the other one in a large bottle and it tasted really delicious. I'm not a huge fan of almond milk with coffee.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
Yeah I’m done with almond or coconut creamers to be honest. I’ll check if I find an Aldi near the new house and see if it’s soy or not.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Did you buy the sugar free one? I usually buy their hazelnut sf creamer and find that it pairs well with coffee.
I couldn't find any that were unsweetened. I'll have to check the next time I go.

Yeah I’m done with almond or coconut creamers to be honest. I’ll check if I find an Aldi near the new house and see if it’s soy or not.
Our Aldi has almond based vanilla or caramel, and a coconut sweet creme. They're just like Coffee Mates non dairy creamers (I think it's coffee mate).
I've had the vanilla one for chai tea, or black tea, and have added to oatmeal, and used in desserts to sub for creme. It is sweet- has a marshmallow taste to me, definitely a sweet vanilla
They don't have any soy creamers.
Have you ever tried Ripple half and half? I am pretty sure it's expensive
If you see Chobani extra creamy oatmilk, look for coupon, try that. It's not really sweet, but so creamy, rich, and neutral tasting. Not like it would go to waste if you don't like it in coffee

Reactions: Val
Our Aldi has almond based vanilla or caramel, and a coconut sweet creme. They're just like Coffee Mates non dairy creamers (I think it's coffee mate).
I've had the vanilla one for chai tea, or black tea, and have added to oatmeal, and used in desserts to sub for creme. It is sweet- has a marshmallow taste to me, definitely a sweet vanilla
They don't have any soy creamers.
Have you ever tried Ripple half and half? I am pretty sure it's expensive
If you see Chobani extra creamy oatmilk, look for coupon, try that. It's not really sweet, but so creamy, rich, and neutral tasting. Not like it would go to waste if you don't like it in coffee

I did try Ripple. It was a no go. I have seen the Chobani but have not tried it yet. I did buy an oat, cashew, macadamia blend that was nice. No good for coffee though, just for cereal and cooking/baking. It was pricey so it’s not something I would buy regularly. I love the cashew milk I buy. I think it’s Silk. And I like almond breeze. Both come in 25-30 calorie per cup options. I do have to pay attention to that. The other milks can be quite high and I need to save my calories for snacking lol.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions. But I really have tried just about every alternative to silk creamer for coffee with no luck. I just don’t think it’s out there. I bought a half gallon of soy milk out of desperation when I was having trouble getting the creamer. Even that was more tolerable than the almond/coconut varieties. But I just chose not to have coffee those few days.

True confession, I had a cup with dairy creamer and was surprised that it wasn’t that great. I expected to enjoy it more but I didn’t. It almost tasted weird. I guess that’s what happens after 14 years or so.

I’m good for a couple of weeks. I bought the three quarts in WF and then my sister in law surprised me with a quart from Stop n Shop. I should be good through May.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val